Paps excited about D

2011 - CJax has not developed as quickly as I thought he would, but I think he'll get into the 2-Deep and step up this year. Santos was a great get in that class. Williams would not be playing more than 20 snaps if we weren't so thin at DT IMO. Same goes for Pirman. They're young and I could be wrong, but I think these 2 are more a product of the situation than their talent and work getting them into a 2-deep.

2010 - Cooper, Evans, and HJax were my 3. Mitchell is going to be competing with Siesay, Green, Evans, SJB and Rose for that CB spot. Don't see him breaking into the 2-deep. Maybe a 2b...but not much of a contributer this year. SJB I didn't count because he was recruited as a WR. He would probably still be there had there been any kind of depth at CB. (although i'm really glad he moved)

2009 - I missed Akrah, could only think of Randle off the top of my head.

But still...that's 7 defensive players out of 3 classes to fill a 22 man 2-deep. That's putting some pretty immense pressure on the 2012/2013 classes...and elevating some other guys that probably shouldn't be in the 2-deep in the first place.

Mitchell played in 13 games last year and made 8 starts. I think that qualifies as a contributor.

If you're not counting SJB because he was recruited on offense, are you going to count the players who were recruited as defensive players but are contributing on offense (J. Cotton and Pensick)?

Even JP isn't mentioning him when discussing the secondary. I just don't see him playing much this year.

And then in the secondary, where we are a little bit more mature, Ciante Evans, Stanley Baptiste, Mo Seisay, Harvey Jackson, Corey Cooper, where I really saw those guys make a jump is just a better feel of the nuances of the defense.

I think the corner battle is going to be really interesting because there's a bunch of guys that can win spots. Stanley Baptiste, Andrew Green, Mo Seisay, Jonathan Rose ---- so you're looking at four pretty talented guys competing for really one spot opposite Ciante in base.

http://espn.go.com/b...r-john-papuchis

And if we were talking about the offense, no I probably wouldn't mention those guys we thought would be playing on D when recruited...though I think both of those guys were targeted for the offense, or at least discussed..even though Rivals didn't have them listed that way.

So on everything else you're wait and see but because on comment didn't mention a player who started eight games last year, you're assuming he's not in the mix?

So on everything else you're wait and see but because on comment didn't mention a player who started eight games last year, you're assuming he's not in the mix?

I had actually formed that opinion long before that article came out - obviously since I said that yesterday and that article came out today (maybe I'm Rittenberg...hmm???). I just wasn't impressed with Mitchel last season - he started out strong and was pretty much non-existent towards the second half of the season. And, more-so I see Green/Evans holding down the corner spots with SJB rotating in and Seisay taking a limited role in nickel packages. Rose will work into the mix early to gain some experience and could surprise people, or maybe Seisay gets some time ahead of SJB. But all that just doesn't leave a lot of room for Mitchel. I'm not saying that as fact, it's just an opinion. I could very well be wrong. I hope a lot of my opinions going into this season prove to be wrong. :)

And you know i'm not much of a wait and see guy when it comes to the defense. It could suprise me, but I'm not exactly optimistic. I'm pretty well bracing for the worst. Inexperience + Bo Pelini defense != Happy Husker fans.

This walk-on discussion is a little baffling to me, considering the core of our O-Line (which was good last year, and I expect to be even better this year) is former walk-ons. Spencer Long, Cole Pensick, Mark Pelini. The walk-ons on our O-Line have out-performed the scholly guys as a whole in recent history. Then add in Broderick Nickens who has been cited as a guy to watch on the DL this year. And FB historically at NU has been composed of walk-ons. Zimmerer & Janovich, both solid FBs.

When it comes to skill position guys, our walk-ons just can't measure up athletically to the guys that we can get from Florida, Texas, California, etc. There will always be exceptions, but that generalization holds true for the most part. Wullenwaber, the occasional TE, are exceptions.

Cole Pensick was not a walk-on. Neither was TJ Zimmer.

That's fine. But still, what were these guys doing 8 years before their first coordinator job? Like I said, someone has to start somewhere. My point is that being 8 years removed from an intern position to being the coordinator for a guy that you spend your whole professional career with to that point to me is not something to be shocked about.

JP was a special case though - considering he'd just come from coaching one of the worst DLs we've had in years (which now has been trumped by the following year's DL). And throw in the fact that there was a Stoops out there, and JP had just been promoted the year before and his "ascension" is pretty quick.

I think a lot of us feel like he was given the DC job, not because of his merits but because Bo knew that he would still be running the D, and we needed JP to stay for recruiting. JP is a guy that stands on the sidelines and agrees w/ whatever Bo says (slightly facetious). And he's a good recruiter. And that's why he's DC.

Edit: Just to clarify - I think JP will end up being a great coordinator. Maybe not for us, because Bo runs the show and I think that might end up getting to him, but some day. I wish we had made a run at Stoops - knowing it was only a short term, 1-2 year fix. That would have given JP even more experience, given our defensive recruiting a big shot in the arm...and left us in the same exact position we are in today...with JP at DC. I think we'd be in a better position today. With a more experienced DC. And better talent on D.

I dont think that JP is a "yes sir" type of guy. He and Bo have been together for this long because they probably understand each other and share the same philosophies and such. We were never going to hire Stoops to be a DC. That was ludicrous to begin with. And after seeing OU's D last year, thank god we didnt. I think Bo see in the long term that he'll be able to step farther away from defensive management knowing JP will operate it the way he wouldve.

Don't forget JP was offered the FSU D-Cord spot when Jimbo was hired down there. He's very well thought of and a darn good coach that has the ability to eventually be great. Its a learning process just like everyone of us in our jobs. The longer you're there the better you become as you understand the ins and outs. Every time I've been promoted I've had to adjust 6 months to a year to get used to the flow of the work, details, etc. After that I can usually do the job in 1/2 the time it took when I started and I can do it twice as well. Coaching is the same thing. I will however state they have it a little harder because the team changes every year without choice.

While it is true, our walk-on program is not as prestine as it was back in the day because we're not 6 steps ahead of everyone in S&C as we were 15-20 years ago. These players-though while being developed-are not being developed into being the best there is.

The biggest change between now and 15-20 years ago is the people playing the game. I was at an event last month and TO was there. He said the single greatest challenge was how the people changed from when he started to when he ended his coaching. He said when he started as a coach 90% of his time was spent on football and 10% on everything else such as keeping kids happy, out of trouble, dealing with parents, grades, non football obligations to the school. When he retired it was the exact opposite. Very little of his time was spent actually coaching football. Today its even harder to manage the kids and parents according to what he sees happening.

That's fine. But still, what were these guys doing 8 years before their first coordinator job? Like I said, someone has to start somewhere. My point is that being 8 years removed from an intern position to being the coordinator for a guy that you spend your whole professional career with to that point to me is not something to be shocked about.

JP was a special case though - considering he'd just come from coaching one of the worst DLs we've had in years (which now has been trumped by the following year's DL). And throw in the fact that there was a Stoops out there, and JP had just been promoted the year before and his "ascension" is pretty quick.

I think a lot of us feel like he was given the DC job, not because of his merits but because Bo knew that he would still be running the D, and we needed JP to stay for recruiting. JP is a guy that stands on the sidelines and agrees w/ whatever Bo says (slightly facetious). And he's a good recruiter. And that's why he's DC.

Edit: Just to clarify - I think JP will end up being a great coordinator. Maybe not for us, because Bo runs the show and I think that might end up getting to him, but some day. I wish we had made a run at Stoops - knowing it was only a short term, 1-2 year fix. That would have given JP even more experience, given our defensive recruiting a big shot in the arm...and left us in the same exact position we are in today...with JP at DC. I think we'd be in a better position today. With a more experienced DC. And better talent on D.

I dont think that JP is a "yes sir" type of guy. He and Bo have been together for this long because they probably understand each other and share the same philosophies and such. We were never going to hire Stoops to be a DC. That was ludicrous to begin with. And after seeing OU's D last year, thank god we didnt. I think Bo see in the long term that he'll be able to step farther away from defensive management knowing JP will operate it the way he wouldve.

Don't forget JP was offered the FSU D-Cord spot when Jimbo was hired down there. He's very well thought of and a darn good coach that has the ability to eventually be great. Its a learning process just like everyone of us in our jobs. The longer you're there the better you become as you understand the ins and outs. Every time I've been promoted I've had to adjust 6 months to a year to get used to the flow of the work, details, etc. After that I can usually do the job in 1/2 the time it took when I started and I can do it twice as well. Coaching is the same thing. I will however state they have it a little harder because the team changes every year without choice.

I am not sure I remember that ever happening. He may have been offered a job at FSU, but not a DC job. Wasn't that were little stoops was DC at before going to Kentucky?
OK then.

1) Paps not having the experience? Paps not having the experience is incorrect for one. He's been with Bo since the beginning of time. He knows Bo's system and philosophies probably better than Bo does. This is better than bringing in some outsider and having a clash of egos so to speak. Also, Bo runs the defense. This has been over-hammered numerous times. If watching the interaction of Bo and Paps (and before, Carl) on the sideline doesnt make this obvious, the you really do NOT pay attention to anything important. Maybe someday this will not be case, and maybe it shouldnt even be the case now, that is up for debate. But as of now, it is what it is.

2) No player development? What do you expect? Chicken salad out of chicken sh#t? I'm sorry, but the last two years the defense has really lacked necessary talent to be the unit it needs to be. As far as player development goes, look on the offensive side of the ball. Look at Bo's first 3 years of defense. There's been plenty of development. Just not enough talent from the first few recruiting classes. Again, this horse is already dead to.

3) You being optimistic. This is comical. I nor anyone on this board has ever seen it and still dont. Goal-line optimism is a laughable concept.

There, that's my 3 disagreements right of the top, and sadly so, it negates about 98% of your thoughts.

In 2004 Papuchis was an intern at LSU. Do you really think he is someone who has the qualifications to coach the "Black Shirt Defense", one of the most storied defensive programs in college history? I don't see it on the field. He was promoted to Defensive Coordinator in 2012. Do you think he really could have the smarts and experience of eight short years to run a top defensive program? Not even close.

And no, there is not player development. Player development is what Tom Osborne built at Nebraska. How many "walk on" players are there currently on the NU squad that came from small schools and worked their way into the starting line up? Osborne knew the importance of the culture of NU football. That culture was getting home grown kids to NU and making them into players. How many recruits does NU have from last year's class? How many from this year's class?

And yes, I am optimistic because I am a huge Husker fan. I always cheer for the team, no matter how bad the defense is under Papuchis. Optimism is part of Husker Nation.

I simply tell it like I see it.

I have a good story. In '64 a man was hired to be an unpaid offensive assistant. He was named the OC for the '69 season & 4 years later he was the head coach. In 9 seasons he had moved from an unpaid assistant to the head coach of a team who had just 1 year prior won back to back national titles.Tom_Osborne_%281965%29.jpg

Paupchis is no Tom Osborne. TO had experience in the NFL and he benefited by having a great coach teach him, Bob Devaney. Devaney did not hire Tom Osborne because they were together somewhere else. He hired him because it was obvious he had the skill set to do the job. Big difference there. Also, Devaney instilled the importance of the home grown "walk on" in the program. Osborne recognized this, embraced it, honed it, and came away with very high quality athletes who would compete for their chance to play.

OK then.

1) Paps not having the experience? Paps not having the experience is incorrect for one. He's been with Bo since the beginning of time. He knows Bo's system and philosophies probably better than Bo does. This is better than bringing in some outsider and having a clash of egos so to speak. Also, Bo runs the defense. This has been over-hammered numerous times. If watching the interaction of Bo and Paps (and before, Carl) on the sideline doesnt make this obvious, the you really do NOT pay attention to anything important. Maybe someday this will not be case, and maybe it shouldnt even be the case now, that is up for debate. But as of now, it is what it is.

2) No player development? What do you expect? Chicken salad out of chicken sh#t? I'm sorry, but the last two years the defense has really lacked necessary talent to be the unit it needs to be. As far as player development goes, look on the offensive side of the ball. Look at Bo's first 3 years of defense. There's been plenty of development. Just not enough talent from the first few recruiting classes. Again, this horse is already dead to.

3) You being optimistic. This is comical. I nor anyone on this board has ever seen it and still dont. Goal-line optimism is a laughable concept.

There, that's my 3 disagreements right of the top, and sadly so, it negates about 98% of your thoughts.

In 2004 Papuchis was an intern at LSU. Do you really think he is someone who has the qualifications to coach the "Black Shirt Defense", one of the most storied defensive programs in college history? I don't see it on the field. He was promoted to Defensive Coordinator in 2012. Do you think he really could have the smarts and experience of eight short years to run a top defensive program? Not even close.

And no, there is not player development. Player development is what Tom Osborne built at Nebraska. How many "walk on" players are there currently on the NU squad that came from small schools and worked their way into the starting line up? Osborne knew the importance of the culture of NU football. That culture was getting home grown kids to NU and making them into players. How many recruits does NU have from last year's class? How many from this year's class?

And yes, I am optimistic because I am a huge Husker fan. I always cheer for the team, no matter how bad the defense is under Papuchis. Optimism is part of Husker Nation.

I have a good story. In '64 a man was hired to be an unpaid offensive assistant. He was named the OC for the '69 season & 4 years later he was the head coach. In 9 seasons he had moved from an unpaid assistant to the head coach of a team who had just 1 year prior won back to back national titles.Tom_Osborne_%281965%29.jpg

Paupchis is no Tom Osborne. TO had experience in the NFL and he benefited by having a great coach teach him, Bob Devaney. Devaney did not hire Tom Osborne because they were together somewhere else. He hired him because it was obvious he had the skill set to do the job. Big difference there. Also, Devaney instilled the importance of the home grown "walk on" in the program. Osborne recognized this, embraced it, honed it, and came away with very high quality athletes who would compete for their chance to play.

You aren't making sense. Bo was with JP somewhere else and knew that he could do the job. Not a huge difference.

We had 5 walk-ons last year that all went to HS here in Nebraska that played last year and started more than one game.

OK then.

Wow, that is a big stretch. When Devaney let TO be an unpaid grad assistant. He said many times, and I have seen it on one of those documentaries on PBS that he figured TO would get his PhD and be out of there. Never did he think he would be that good. TO played two years in the NFL as a WR. Not as a coach. Coaching and playing are 2 different things. I know I have done both. For some reason you don't think BP or Paupuchis knows the importance of the walk on program. All you have to do is look at how many walk on players are getting time to realize that they know it is a very important part of the program.