Big Ten Media have spoken - Ohio State will win the conference

Ohio State Buckeyes nearly unanimous favorite to win Big Ten title in preseason media poll

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State is the unanimous choice to win the Leaders Division and the overwhelming pick to win the Big Ten title in the third annual Big Ten preseason media poll organized by The Plain Dealer.

In a poll of 26 league writers, two for each of the 12 teams in the Big Ten and two league-wide reporters from ESPN.com, there was no surprise as the Buckeyes received all 26 votes to win the Leaders Division and move to the championship game in Indianapolis for the first time. One writer did have Ohio State tying for the division title with Wisconsin and advancing on the tiebreaker.

The other division was a lot less clear. In fact, it was practically a tie, with Michigan barely edging Nebraska as the choice in the Legends Division.

Predictions, with total points and first-place votes

Leaders Division

1. Ohio State 155.5 (26)

2. Wisconsin 128 (1)

3. Penn State 104

4. Indiana 74.5

5. Purdue 52.5

6. Illinois 31.5

Legends Division

1. Michigan 135.5 (14)

2. Nebraska 132.5 (14)

3. Michigan State 101.5 (4)

4. Northwestern 95.5

5. Iowa 43

6. Minnesota 38

I get the impression that if the Nebraska/Michigan game were in Lincoln, the writers would have picked Nebraska to win the Legends.

Pretty sure Michigan loses to Ohio State. If they beat us, and we can go unscathed through the rest of the season, we need Michigan to have another loss to make the conference championship game. Presuming (for the sake of argument) that Michigan beats us in The Big House, they would need to lose one of the following three games:

at Penn State 10/12

at Michigan State 11/2

at Northwestern 11/16

The Nebraska game is sandwiched between the road trips to East Lansing and Evanston, so either road game is eminently losable for the Wolverines, either looking ahead or suffering a bit of a hangover. Either or both could be losses.

Nebraska, meanwhile, plays both Michigan State and Northwestern at home. While we lost to the Wildcats at home in 2011, we did so only because of our own mistakes. Clean those up and we've got these guys. In each of our last two games against Northwestern we've statistically dominated them - they were only close because we kept putting the ball on the turf.

Sparty is... Sparty. They'll have a fine defense, no offense, and they'll shoot themselves in the foot just enough to let us win, and that's presuming they can slow down our offense. If they can't, it could be a blowout. They play Michigan at home just before they play us, then travel to Evanston the week after they come to Lincoln. I'm guessing they lose two of those three games.

The wildcard here is Penn State. Both Michigan and Nebraska travel to Happy Valley this year, and it's never easy to play in front of 100,000 opposing fans. The Nittany Lions might not be any good this year, though. No Matt McGloin, the Big Ten's passing leader last year. No Jordan Hill, a first-team All Big Ten nose tackle. They return a bevy of talented WR including Allen Robinson, perhaps the Big Ten's best WR (except that it's Kenny Bell, but whatever), but they still have a converted fullback at RB in Zack Zwinack, and not much talent behind him. They're playing for pride in Happy Valley and they have plenty, that's for sure. I'm guessing they rise up and beat at least one top Big Ten team this year. I just hope it's not us.

• Fire 1

Penn St. will always be dangerous as long as the are healthy. They will be what people expected if a few starters get dinged up along the way. Last year was a VERY good year for them in the injury department. No idea how long the luck will hold out though. That's why I'm glad we get them in November.

Not sure how this impacts things, but it's appearing like Carlos Hyde is off the team in Columbus. If true, I don't see that slowing the Buckeyes down much. They'll still have two four-star RBs to pick from - Rod Smith out of Indiana, and Bri'onte Dunn out of Glenoak, OH.

Not sure how this impacts things, but it's appearing like Carlos Hyde is off the team in Columbus. If true, I don't see that slowing the Buckeyes down much. They'll still have two four-star RBs to pick from - Rod Smith out of Indiana, and Bri'onte Dunn out of Glenoak, OH.

It's gonna hurt 'em. Hyde was the best RB on their roster by a mile, and he was a workhorse. Without him, they'll have to rely on Miller more, and he's gonna get knocked out.

Penn St. will always be dangerous as long as the are healthy. They will be what people expected if a few starters get dinged up along the way. Last year was a VERY good year for them in the injury department. No idea how long the luck will hold out though. That's why I'm glad we get them in November.

I think PSU has a tough year without much to play for by the end of the year. They will always be tough, but at 4-4 type of record a 100,000 fans won't be in attendance.

Michigan is getting a ton of credit for Gardner's potential.

My money is on the proven commodity of TMart.

Always take proof over potential.

Huskers win the division and it's a very close game in the CCG.

I think Mich ahead of Nebraska is a fair guess. Nebraska as of now has no, none, zilch, nada in terms of defensive line play. LB', although athletic, are totally unproven. And as we have seen in a Pelini defense if you aren't smart and "get" the defense, this could get ugly

Losing Hyde is a HUGE hit to tOSU. Sure, they'll replace him. But there will be a drop off. I started a thread in the B1G forum on this. Mostly so I could ridicule the Bucknuts for this devastating loss. Because, although it's a childish thing to do, it's fun. And it's the Bucknuts. :lol:

I think PSU has a tough year without much to play for by the end of the year. They will always be tough, but at 4-4 type of record a 100,000 fans won't be in attendance.

i agree. i think this is when we will see the sanctions catch up to them. last year they had a lot of pride to play for, a new coach, and a lot of senior talent that decided to stick around. now they will see their problems with the loss of schollies and the challenge to recruit players to a program with no chance of post regular season play.

at first i thought bill o'brien would be there for a awhile and then was surprised when his name was floating around for other gigs. now i am surprised he is still there. i get the feeling that his eye is on the door.

i agree. i think this is when we will see the sanctions catch up to them. last year they had a lot of pride to play for, a new coach, and a lot of senior talent that decided to stick around. now they will see their problems with the loss of schollies and the challenge to recruit players to a program with no chance of post regular season play.

at first i thought bill o'brien would be there for a awhile and then was surprised when his name was floating around for other gigs. now i am surprised he is still there. i get the feeling that his eye is on the door.

PSU might not feel the pinch of their sanctions just yet. *Might.* This year, 2013, is the first year their schollie sanctions kicked in, limiting them to 65 scholarship players on the roster. But their recruiting classes these past two or three years have been decent. Not great, but decent. They lost Matt McGloin and a few others to graduation. And it seems like everyone has written them off. Still the Natty Lions might end up being better than people think this year. Or not. We'll know more in about 90 days.