Subbing in Tommy Armstrong this year?

You guys may want to start looking at Stanton to back up Taylor this year.

Umm...why?

Thought I would chime in again and tell you what I meant now that the news is out that Tommy had additional surgery to clean up his knee. Questionable as to when he will be ready to go again as he has been held out of practice.

You guys may want to start looking at Stanton to back up Taylor this year.

Umm...why?

Thought I would chime in again and tell you what I meant now that the news is out that Tommy had additional surgery to clean up his knee. Questionable as to when he will be ready to go again as he has been held out of practice.

Pelini and the reports all made it sound pretty routine. Said that Armstrong wasn't "full-go" yet, but all indications seem to be that he will still be competing for that #2 spot with RKIII.

Pelini and the reports all made it sound pretty routine. Said that Armstrong wasn't "full-go" yet, but all indications seem to be that he will still be competing for that #2 spot with RKIII.

Pelini is probably being truthful there, but anytime you slice open a guy's knee, even with a scope, there's bound to be some healing time involved. We don't want another Kody Spano situation.

Pelini is probably being truthful there, but anytime you slice open a guy's knee, even with a scope, there's bound to be some healing time involved. We don't want another Kody Spano situation.

Especially when that knee has been bothering him since high school.

Other than Brook B. and the OB in 1995. There is not many instances of NU playing 2 QBs for any other reason than injury or ineffectiveness. I think most of you have a jaded or rose colored glass view of how much the back up qb played in TO's hay day. No more than 3-4 games at most in a season, and TO wasn't putting anyone into the game until they were up at least 28pts. Tell me about all the times over the last 5 years that NU has been up by 28pts to get the back up QBs significant playing time.

It may be my bad memory, but I remember TO putting the backup QB in early in games. I remember TO telling the media that the backup QB would enter at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. This happened a couple of times per year. One game I will never forget was Central Florida. I was sure NU would kill Central Florida, but NU was trailing after one quarter and TO put in Frankie London. I was stunned, but TO stuck to his plan.

How bad (or good) have past NU QBs been when inexperienced versus their first few starts? I remember Frost really improved, but he was at Stanford the previous year and didn't get any reps. I don't remember Lord struggling or getting any reps behind crouch; he has more rushing and total yards than Crouch's Heisman year.

Other than Brook B. and the OB in 1995. There is not many instances of NU playing 2 QBs for any other reason than injury or ineffectiveness. I think most of you have a jaded or rose colored glass view of how much the back up qb played in TO's hay day. No more than 3-4 games at most in a season, and TO wasn't putting anyone into the game until they were up at least 28pts. Tell me about all the times over the last 5 years that NU has been up by 28pts to get the back up QBs significant playing time.

It may be my bad memory, but I remember TO putting the backup QB in early in games. I remember TO telling the media that the backup QB would enter at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. This happened a couple of times per year. One game I will never forget was Central Florida. I was sure NU would kill Central Florida, but NU was trailing after one quarter and TO put in Frankie London. I was stunned, but TO stuck to his plan.

And Frankie the savior proceeded to not do a damn thing in 2 possessions. Frost was re-insterted and that's when the infamous boo-birds came out. I was there. I was only 12 and couldnt believe. Of all the games I've attended, I still dont think Ive heard quite the collective chorus of boos as there was when Frost came back onto the field. Poor Washington. They took the blunt of that little stunt.

And Frankie the savior proceeded to not do a damn thing in 2 possessions. Frost was re-insterted and that's when the infamous boo-birds came out. I was there. I was only 12 and couldnt believe. Of all the games I've attended, I still dont think Ive heard quite the collective chorus of boos as there was when Frost came back onto the field. Poor Washington. They took the blunt of that little stunt.

I remember TO saying he wanted the backup QB to get reps when the game was still on the line. London carried the ball twice for 16 yards including an 8 yard TD to take the lead. He was 1 for 1 passing for 30 yards. London was only in for 2 drives; a 46 yard, 10 play TD drive, and a 2 play drive that ended when Ahman Green fumbled. I would like to see the backup QB start the 2nd quarter against all out of conference opponents this year with the exception of UCLA.

I remember TO saying he wanted the backup QB to get reps when the game was still on the line. London carried the ball twice for 16 yards including an 8 yard TD to take the lead. He was 1 for 1 passing for 30 yards. London was only in for 2 drives; a 46 yard, 10 play TD drive, and a 2 play drive that ended when Ahman Green fumbled. I would like to see the backup QB start the 2nd quarter against all out of conference opponents this year with the exception of UCLA.

I recall now. I had to go back and check film. After my comment, I got to thinking he must've done more. I was thinking of another game of which he was so ineffective.

I'm different. I prefer the best man be on the field the whole time the game is on the line.

If Armstrong is full-go it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a first-half series but I think they'll be conservative with that knee. Kellogg could well be the primary back-up and I don't think they'd make a point of getting him in early.

Again, name 1 team with a clear number 1 at QB that has the back up come in for 1 or more series in the first half. Missouri is the only one I can think of with Daniel and then Gabbert, but they bot ended up playing so poorly that they were yanked after 1 maybe 2 series. The only way he comes in in the first half is if we have a game like Idaho State where we're already up 42-0.