How Much Cheating IS Going On

I have been told by many friends that played at NU in the 90s that their teammates would receive an envelope of cash under their door after a good game.

Take that for what it is worth.

nice post :confucius

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Just stating what I had been told. Not stating it as fact, just rumor from semi-credible sources.

It means that if you don't have the facts you probably shouldn't be trying to incriminate the University by making a simple comment about what you heard

Buddy, no one here has facts. If we're going to sit here and bash other schools, you've got to be able to take it too. No need to jump all over him.

Benning was 100% not guilty- TOTALLY made up story by scorned woman

Several of the others- same deal- 100% innocent- proven in court as well

Did NU have a few guys go astray?

Yep

Was it a pattern over the long haul?

Nope

Was it to the extent as others?

Nope

What about that 97 team- if having thugs on the team in 95 won you a title- why not do it again in 97?

I trust a PHD in Psychology who has worked with kids over 40 years over an arm chair QB anytime

Tom Osborne alludes to this in one of his books. How the media completely roasts a young man when the charges are filed, but yet, there is nothing ever said or words gone back on when he is completely acquitted in a court of law.

Cool, a hit piece on Osborne that has nothing to do with cheating or bending rules.

As to the article, TO always tried to do what was in the best interest of the kids whose care he had been entrusted. Nothing exemplifies that more than LP. He could have easily dropped the kid and saved some heat. It's not like we needed him to win that year.

Cool, a hit piece on Osborne that has nothing to do with cheating or bending rules.

As to the article, TO always tried to do what was in the best interest of the kids whose care he had been entrusted. Nothing exemplifies that more than LP. He could have easily dropped the kid and saved some heat. It's not like we needed him to win that year.

If you are going to use that to defend TO, you better use the same logic to defend every other coach then because it goes both ways. And Bo must not be doing what is in the best interested of the kids entrusted to him then...because it was in the best interest of a few kids this year to be on the team still. Now their future is in limbo, as is their education. They're gone, because it's in the best interest of the team. Don't confuse what is in the best interest of the kid, with what is in the best interest of the team. In the LP situation, you'd be blind not to realize it's the latter. I'm just tired of hearing how TO was a saint, and then when Meyer has a kid get in trouble he's cheating or playing favorites.

• Fire 1

If you are going to use that to defend TO, you better use the same logic to defend every other coach then because it goes both ways. And Bo must not be doing what is in the best interested of the kids entrusted to him then...because it was in the best interest of a few kids this year to be on the team still. Now their future is in limbo, as is their education. They're gone, because it's in the best interest of the team. Don't confuse what is in the best interest of the kid, with what is in the best interest of the team. In the LP situation, you'd be blind not to realize it's the latter. I'm just tired of hearing how TO was a saint, and then when Meyer has a kid get in trouble he's cheating or playing favorites.

"When Meyer has A kid get in trouble..." as in a singular kid? Meyer has a pattern, these aren't freak isolated incidents. Ignorant to think otherwise.

"When Meyer has A kid get in trouble..." as in a singular kid? Meyer has a pattern, these aren't freak isolated incidents. Ignorant to think otherwise.

And there was only 1 isolated incident with TO?

• Fire 1

Let's first separate the arguments of cheating and allowing miscreants on your team. They are completely different, though they both stem from the idea of winning at all costs.

This is a discussion about cheating and it was alleged that Osborne bent rules. I still see no reason to believe that's true.

A discussion of whether he should have booted trouble makers off the team is a completely different issue. You can believe that he did things solely with wins in mind if you want, but you're wrong. I'm not sure Osborne always made the right choice, but I fully believe that he made those choices for the right reasons.

Let's first separate the arguments of cheating and allowing miscreants on your team. They are completely different, though they both stem from the idea of winning at all costs.

This is a discussion about cheating and it was alleged that Osborne bent rules. I still see no reason to believe that's true.

A discussion of whether he should have booted trouble makers off the team is a completely different issue. You can believe that he did things solely with wins in mind if you want, but you're wrong. I'm not sure Osborne always made the right choice, but I fully believe that he made those choices for the right reasons.

To win.

TBH, Suttles and Brown did have multiple chances. Eventually you have to make a decision that is best for the team, even if that means if the kid will no longer be on the team.

Cheating, to some extent, goes on at every school. For example, kids everywhere are getting a meal paid for by "boosters" or getting some cash for tickets or gear. I'd guess it happens everywhere. Some of that is petty and negligible.

Real "cheating" in my mind is the major improprieties in recruiting and eligibility. Coaching staffs that know (or should know) that dirty stuff is going on. I think this is becoming more and more prevalent today. I'd guess it is rampant in the SEC.

NU won the National Titile game 62-24, it could have been 76-17 easily

It was apparent NU didnt need LP to win that game

Talk to some guys on that team, they will tell you this: THEY KNEW the game was going to be a blowout win. That is why they were all doing the tug on the elbow choo choo thing, something the Gator players did. The NU kids knew their team was a freight train.

NU was so deep at RB that year with Green, and Benning, both who played in the NFL and then another stud- Clinton Childs

Osborne has a PHD in psych, he was doing this for LP, not the team

Read TOs book, see how LP was abandoned as a child, raised in childrens home. LP needed the structure of football to have a chance at succeeding in life. In the end, it wasnt a good situation. But that's hindsight.

Really want to see what makes Osborne tick, read some of his books.

After NU lost in 83 and 93 he really didnt understand what all the "fuss" was about. He thought his kids played well enough to win, that was good enough for him.

Heck when he won his first National title, he "celebrated" on the bus by eating a bland sandwich out of a paper bag that Nancy had prepared for him, went to the hotel and went to bed, Again, he didnt think it was that big a deal. It didnt change anything for him. He's all about playing to potential and enjoying the proccess.

Cheating, to some extent, goes on at every school. For example, kids everywhere are getting a meal paid for by "boosters" or getting some cash for tickets or gear. I'd guess it happens everywhere. Some of that is petty and negligible.

Real "cheating" in my mind is the major improprieties in recruiting and eligibility. Coaching staffs that know (or should know) that dirty stuff is going on. I think this is becoming more and more prevalent today. I'd guess it is rampant in the SEC.

You do know that players at NU have to jump through lots of hoops, as to who they leave tickets for?

There was a big bruhaha a couple of years ago because a kid left some tickets for his step dad- not same name as him. Another got in trouble because he left the tickets for his foster parents- not with same last name. Some kids had to sit out a preseason game. Not sure how it happens elsewhere, but at NU the kids have to jump through hoops

Ive spoken to 1 member of the NU coaching staff

Under Osborne they would ask a series of questions to a potential recruit to see if the player could be bought

If he could, they would come off of him right away

Have no clue how they do it today or how widespread cheating is

I agree 100%, they shouldnt worry about the small stuff- buying recruits is where they need to spend the enforcement time