How Much Cheating IS Going On

How much cheating still exists in NCAA DI football?

I dont beleive in UFOs, Bigfoot, Ghosts or the Loch Ness Monster

But does cheating still exist on a wide level? In pockets?

Last week I was working with a very well respected businessman in a large city

He is a trusted friend, very humble and low key

He claimed a former player he coached- was going to be a 4-5 star athlete this year as a Junior

The player came to one of HIS good friends and confided in the friend during a private film viewing session, that he could read defenses, but he couldnt read

He asked my friends friend, to teach him how to read

The friend who was teaching the boy how to read also is a former DI athlete, who is very connected with a large well known University

The former DI athlete told my friend that it wouldnt be any problem at all getting the player admitted to his former school

When I asked my friend, how this could actually happen in this day and age- where a functionally illiterate player gets admitted to a major DI football school, he shook his head in disbelief, but said his friend was legit and that "there were ways" to make it happen

In this day and age with so much $$ at risk and the technology we have- all it takes is 1 person in the food chain that isnt happy. They can blow the entire deal- or even blackmail those involved

What do people think? Does this kind of BS still happen out there?

In some places it's so institutionalized within the entire culture of the school, it just seems normal.

So many things swept under the rug for so long, it probably lasts for generations. No one even knows the first time the first person looked the other way. It's just a way of doing business, until hopefully they get caught.

That's why the Miami's, OU, Texass, alabama's, USC's, Auburn's of the world will be literally unheard of for 10-12 years sometimes; after Switzer, Erickson, et al move on, it takes a decade to rebuild.

That's why I'm so proud of Nebraska. Still winning 9 games a year without ever, ever REALLY being on significant penalties.

I mean, people bring up LP as a reference for our "troubles" and that was nearly 20 yrs ago.

Cheating, in one form or another, goes on at every single college. From money, to cars, to jobs, to connections, to test copies, to papers being written,to free meal at a place near campus.

True, but there's a big difference in scale between a few, isolated, minor incidents at a school like NU and the organized, wholesale cheating taking place in the south. The NCAA has all but declared that they are toothless and certain schools are taking advantage of it.

Cheating, in one form or another, goes on at every single college. From money, to cars, to jobs, to connections, to test copies, to papers being written,to free meal at a place near campus.

True, but there's a big difference in scale between a few, isolated, minor incidents at a school like NU and the organized, wholesale cheating taking place in the south. The NCAA has all but declared that they are toothless and certain schools are taking advantage of it.

Even as proud as I am of our university, I think there just exists a paradigm in college athletics in every school across the entire country that allows for student athletes to get away with more than they should - it's bigger than any individual people or schools or well-intentions, it just exists, sometimes tangibly but sometimes in a way that just very subtly permeates the culture.

• Fire 1

I agree, Landlord. The difference is that NU is making a concerted effort to do the right thing and produce graduates that know how to do the right thing. This is not unique in big time college sports, but it is becoming increasingly rare. It is one of the ways that Osborne made us different from so many of our competitors and is something Pelini is carrying on. Nebraska, as a program, does not cheat.

Does that mean that no players ever got a paper written by a classmate or a free dinner from a random fan? Of course not. But we aren't buying our players or cheating to make or keep them eligible. The kids that come to NU are told the truth during recruitung and will be shown the door if they can't live up to the standard we expect once they're here.

I'm damn proud to support a program that doesn't put winning above doing things the right way and teaching these kids how to be good men. There's a reason Osborne called his book "More Than Winning". He meant it.

I agree with you guys, but let's be honest. It is rarely the University or the Coaches who are providing the "incentives". Granted the coaches and administration should be able to get to the bottom of this kind of stuff, and a lot of coaches might just look the other way, but this thing can be kind of hard to catch. I think in general the whole culture of Nebraska makes this a more rare kind of incident than in a larger Market such as a Miami or USC. That being said, I am very proud as well that this stuff has never taken hold here.

I actually think coaches and administration are quite often involved in blatant cheating, not just looking the other way. I do think the standard method is to have boosters contact prospects and pay them, but scandals at Oregon, USC and other places make it clear that coaches know what's going on, and those are just the ones that come to light. Hell, auburn players have out and said they got paid and then just retracted it later. And nobody on earth believes cam newton was anything but bought and paid for.

Every school cheats, and let's not get all high and mighty about Nebraska either. We probably cheat less than other major programs, but don't fool yourself. It's like NASCAR, everyone is cheating.

So Tom Osborne is a fraud?

That's a bit of a jump but the God-like status he has been given by the fan base is pretty out of control at times.

• Fire 1