Predict the starting defense Week 1, and by the end of the season

Shocked if Andrew Green isn't a starter

Andrew is pretty low on the totem pole as far as CB goes, if I recall correctly: Seisay, Rose, SJB, Mitchell, Ciante all are ahead of him

What makes you think that?

Yeah, JP mentioned him last week as being at the top of the list with Seisay, Rose, and SJB working for the other CB spot, and the 2nd one when Ciante is in Peso. Didn't bring up Mitchel at all. One article, but nothing have I seen indicates he's out of the mix. He started 12 last season, and among our returning players is 2nd in tackles with 50 (behind Evans with 56). Mitchel with 29, and SJB with 24 are well back. This defense is going to be young - not sure they'll put even more youth in the backfield if they don't have to.

serious question, have any of you actually heard anything that would lead you to believe VV is going to actually contribute this year? everything I have read about the kid suggests that he is soft and he doesnt like to work very hard. not trying to start a big arguement. just curious.

serious question, have any of you actually heard anything that would lead you to believe VV is going to actually contribute this year? everything I have read about the kid suggests that he is soft and he doesnt like to work very hard. not trying to start a big arguement. just curious.

i think it's purely based on combination of potential and lack of depth (maybe a little hope thrown in there as well). He's still got 4 years here. If he keeps workin he'll be a major part of this defense. If that happens this year, great. But it should happen eventually.

I've heard that when he gets pissed off, he's impossible to stop, but when he gets a little bit tired, he just shuts down and stops putting forth full effort. That's been the review by Bo and pretty much exactly what I've heard from anybody who is in the know. Hopefully something clicks and he learns to go 110% 100% of the time.

I've heard that when he gets pissed off, he's impossible to stop, but when he gets a little bit tired, he just shuts down and stops putting forth full effort. That's been the review by Bo and pretty much exactly what I've heard from anybody who is in the know. Hopefully something clicks and he learns to go 110% 100% of the time.

maybe it will be easier to get pissed off at Ohio State than the scout team offense? this might be one of those where practice doesn't reflect his gametime contributions.

maybe it will be easier to get pissed off at Ohio State than the scout team offense? this might be one of those where practice doesn't reflect his gametime contributions.

I hope he figures it out, because under Bo, the guys who put in the work and show what they're made of during practice are the ones who play on Saturday.

Last year, Coach Mora and his staff "walked out" of practice because the team was practicing so soft. Well, it was staged and pre-planned (trust me, all coaches do things like this from time to time), well I have a feeling all this "calling out" of VV started off for real but is now a bit of an act by the coaches as they have noticed he is working harder and harder, so they might be thinking that he does better with that kind of treatment.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and get hit by a bus tomorrow.

i think it's purely based on combination of potential and lack of depth (maybe a little hope thrown in there as well). He's still got 4 years here. If he keeps workin he'll be a major part of this defense. If that happens this year, great. But it should happen eventually.

I think the coaches had mentioned that he can really cause problems in practice, the main problem is getting him to do it consistently. The implication seems to be lack of effort/conditioning is what's holding him back. If the top end is really that good, I'd be surprised if he isn't in the mix. Perhaps he'll have to be in for a few play and then back out until he can get his conditioning in order.

Here's the quote from Bo at Media Days, via OWH:

Nebraska must improve its defensive line play, Pelini said. He made little bones about it. He said the 2012 defensive line class — which included signees Vincent Valentine, Avery Moss, Aaron Curry and Greg McMullen — was the best he’d signed at Nebraska to that date and he expects all to make a good impact this year.

Pelini also took the opportunity to put the 6-foot-3, 325-pound Valentine — for whose services Nebraska beat Florida in a recruiting battle — on notice:

“Vincent’s got to learn how to work and push through,” Pelini said. “You’re that big, that physical and that talented — it was easy for him in high school. To step up to this next level, he’s got to understand the type of mentality, the type of work ethic, and being able to fight through when you’re tired. The self-imposed hurdles he has to overcome. Some of it’s mental with Vincent. He’s a young guy. There’s nothing new there. The faster he understands that, the more he’ll be able to help us.”

On the flip side, Pelini said incoming freshman defensive tackle Maliek Collins “walked in a grown man."

I'm sorry but predicting a starting defense for the beginning of the season and the end of the season is just damn impossible this year. I guarantee you that not all players that will start on defense at the beginning of the season will be starting at the end of the season.

Beginning of the season :

RE - Jason Ankrah

DT - Thaddeus Randle

DT - Vincent Valentine

LE - Greg McMullen/Avery Moss

ROLB - Zaire Anderson

MLB - David Santos

LOLB - Jared Afalava

CB - Josh Mitchell

CB - Ciante Evans

Nickel - Stanley Baptiste

Dime - Mohammed Seisay

FS - Corey Cooper

SS - Harvey Jackson

End of the Season :

RE - Jason Ankrah

DT - Maliek Collins

DT - Aaron Curry

LE - Randy Gregory

ROLB - Zaire Anderson

MLB - David Santos/Michael Rose

LOLB - Jared Afalava/Courtney Love

CB - Josh Mitchell

CB - Ciante Evans

Nickel - Mohammed Seisay

Dime - Jonathon Rose

FS - Corey Cooper

SS - Charles Jackson

Beginning of Season

RE - Jason Ankrah

DT - Thaddeus Randle

DT - Broderick Nickens

LE - Greg McMullen

ROLB - Zaire Anderson

MLB - David Santos

LOLB - Jared Afalava

CB - Josh Mitchell

CB - Stanley Jean Baptiste

Nickel - Ciante Evans

Dime - Mohammed Seisay

S - Corey Cooper

S - Charles Jackson

End of Season

RE - Jason Ankrah (265)

DT - Vincent Valentine (325)

DT - Broderick Nickens (310)

LE - Greg McMullen (285)

(Great size on the D line)

ROLB - Zaire Anderson

MLB - David Santos

LOLB - Jared Afalava

(Great speed at the LB)

CB - Jonathon Rose

CB - Stanley Jean Baptiste

(Tall Speedy Corners)

Nickel - Ciante Evans

Dime - Mohammed Seisay

S - Nathan Gerry

S - Charles Jackson

(Speed and Strength at the Safety)

Unless he's injured, it's pretty much 100% guaranteed he'll start in the dime spot. If you want to count that.

Just read that Pelini supposedly said during Media Days that Green may be moving to safety - which may line up with the dime spot. I hadn't heard that before and can't really find it anywhere else. Anyone else hear that?

Edit: I did find another place that quoted Pelini as saying Green has been working some at safety. Maybe still in the experimental stages but I don't think you do that with a projected starter at CB.

Edited by Mavric

Andrew is pretty low on the totem pole as far as CB goes, if I recall correctly: Seisay, Rose, SJB, Mitchell, Ciante all are ahead of him

What makes you think that?

I forgot the order, but I remember our top 3 CBs as of spring were Ciante, Seisay, and SJB. Obviously a lot can change during fall camp, especially with the experience Andrew has - but I feel pretty confident that Seisay would've been starting last year if not for his ankle.

Also, I think Rose will make some noise there also. Depends how deep he got into his playbook over spring.

DE - Jason Ankrah

DT - Thad Randle

DT - Valentine

DE - Randy Gregory/Banderas

LB - Jared Afalava

LB - David Santos

LB - Zaire Anderson

CB - Rose

CB - SJB

Nickel - Ciante Evans

S - Harvey Jackson

S - Charles Jackson

I think Courtney Love is going to get some serious burn, also.

Anyway, if Pap is going to keep talking about speed - there is no way CJax and Rose won't be on the field. They (both) could potentially be game changers on this defense. They are true playmakers. Loft a ball up their against either of those guys...good luck. Taylor found that out the hard way. This is part of the reason I'm not as scared on D anymore ... we are going to have speed everywhere. Try running to the edges and it will be a TFL most likely.

Ankrah/Randle/McMullen

Afalava/Anderson/Santos/(Gregory, Banderas, Love)

Rose / Jackson / Jackson / SJB

Have fun on those edges.