expansion news

None of this probably happens, but adding Texas and OU would make the B1G the most prestigious conference in the country.... Nebraska Michigan Ohio St. Penn. St. Texas OU That is one helluva line-up....

Prestigious in what way? Football power? If that's the case, the SEC would like a word with you....

You might equal the SEC, but it wouldn't be surpassed.

Big 10 - 27 National Championships SEC - 25 National Championships

Big 10 - 15 Heisman Trophies SEC - 8 Heisman Trophies

There's no way OU goes anywhere without Okie State from what I understand. So let's just take OU and OkieSt. It would be a better pickup than Maryland and Rutgers FOR SURE.

Depends on your parameters. If you're looking at the small picture, yes, they're better football programs than Maryland or Rutgers. Big picture though, we get better academic institutions, basketball, NY/NJ/DC/MD TV markets, and a lot more.

It's too bad that Okie Lite doesn't have a single redeeming quality about its program or school, or I think the B1G would be fine with offering OU/Okie Lite in a heartbeat.

We're not building an academic conference. It's an athletic conference. Maryland and Rutgers were a joke in that regard. At least OU would bring a traditional powerhouse football team. And even though there's nothing special about OkieSt, they've been a quality team for the past 5-10 years (1 game away from a NC berth 2 years ago) and it can't hurt to bring T. Boone Pickens along as well.

There's no way OU goes anywhere without Okie State from what I understand. So let's just take OU and OkieSt. It would be a better pickup than Maryland and Rutgers FOR SURE.

Depends on your parameters. If you're looking at the small picture, yes, they're better football programs than Maryland or Rutgers. Big picture though, we get better academic institutions, basketball, NY/NJ/DC/MD TV markets, and a lot more.

It's too bad that Okie Lite doesn't have a single redeeming quality about its program or school, or I think the B1G would be fine with offering OU/Okie Lite in a heartbeat.

We're not building an academic conference. It's an athletic conference. Maryland and Rutgers were a joke in that regard. At least OU would bring a traditional powerhouse football team. And even though there's nothing special about OkieSt, they've been a quality team for the past 5-10 years (1 game away from a NC berth 2 years ago) and it can't hurt to bring T. Boone Pickens along as well.

Part of what makes the B1G special is its academic collaboration in addition to its athletic prowess.

• Fire 1

Fun discussion. After Maryland and Rutgers were added, its obvious we all want a more traditional football power next. I read the posts at ShaggyBevo. Didn't seem like there was anything to them.

Someone once again claiming to have insider info. I wouldn't trust anything coming from a Texas board, anyway. I would be shocked if they joined. I am also skeptical that the Big Ten is interested in OU (AAU issue), but think it would be awesome for Nebraska to play them on the Friday before Thanksgiving every year.

None of this probably happens, but adding Texas and OU would make the B1G the most prestigious conference in the country.... Nebraska Michigan Ohio St. Penn. St. Texas OU That is one helluva line-up....

Prestigious in what way? Football power? If that's the case, the SEC would like a word with you....

It takes decades if not a century for this sort of Prestige. ND has been horrible for 20 years yet they are followed and still one of the most popular teams in the country. When most SEC teams drop out of the rankings no one misses them. That conference is overall pretty damn forgettable in the long term scheme of things.

It takes decades if not a century for this sort of Prestige. ND has been horrible for 20 years yet they are followed and still one of the most popular teams in the country. When most SEC teams drop out of the rankings no one misses them. That conference is overall pretty damn forgettable in the long term scheme of things.

Lol. Ok.

The SEC is hardly forgettable now, or in the long term. Overhyped? Sure. The emergence of A&M and Missouri has exposed the myth of the SEC to some extent. Other conferences are closer than most like to think.....

The SEC is hardly forgettable now, or in the long term. Overhyped? Sure. The emergence of A&M and Missouri has exposed the myth of the SEC to some extent. Other conferences are closer than most like to think.....

Obviously, a bit of a homer, but my perspective is yes, the SEC is the best football conference in the country. That being said, the gap between the SEC and the rest isn't some wide chasm. I struggle to come up with an appropriate analogy, but like I said, the SEC is better, but it's not invincible.

All fair comments. Historically, the Big 10, at least for now definitely has the edge.

Currently, the SEC, even with OU and Texas, would still be superior...however, we all know success rises and fall.

That being said, I would currently put the chances of OU and tu and joining B1G at maybe 15%.

The SEC is superior with 2 teams: Bama and LSU. Fortunate with 2 others: Auburn and Florida. The rest? I think it is a stretch to say superior.

St. Paul, I think if you lined up the conferences from the top down SEC #1 vs B1G #1, etc, you would see a lot of SEC victory over B1G.

But it's all theoretical. All we really have is past bowl records.

Big Ten has 14 bowl victories vs 17 by the SEC head to head since 2002. While the SEC has the better record. I hardly see that as supremacy.