Shatel's Article

I have NOT given up on this team. But I think that it is reasonable to have expectations that reflect the reality of our program's condition.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s we had teams that consistently put up Ws with few exceptions and those exceptions, almost exclusively, were competitive losses to solid programs.

The last decade has not been kind to us. Blame whoever you want.

We are a program now that will win a good percentage of the games with a few clunkers thrown in there that no one can explain. Our championship experience is virtually ZERO. We have played in a couple of competitive CCGs, both in the Big 12. We have never been to an Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, or Rose Bowl.

There for its hard to expect us to beat everyone on the schedule and take the bowl game too. When was the last time we were 8-0 or 9-0 and had to deal with the expectations of continuing to win in order to "stay in the chase". It's been a long time. When was the last time we played in a big time bowl in front of a national audience in prime time. Again, it's been a long time.

So reasonable expectations would be a nine or 10 win season punctuated by a few clunkers and a Cap One or Gator Bowl finish.

As a final note, I would say that any Husker fan transported through time from the mid 1980s to the kick of the 2012 CCG and told our record, the fact that we had beaten Wisky earlier in the season, and the fact that Wisky had five losses and was working with its third QB...... woulld say there is NO excuse for us losing that game and DEFINITELY no excuse for a blow out loss.

Is it wrong for Husker fans to demand excellence? I don't think so. Is it a touch ridiculous that getting beat by a better team damages the psyche of an entire state? A touch. I think much of this discussion is personal preference, I prefer to enter the season with optimism and likely have my heart broken from time to time (I am a Cubs fan after all), others prefer to be a touch skeptical and to be surprised from time to time and proven right at others. I don't want to see blowouts, I want the team to play hard and with passion, and I want them to win every game. I am just growing weary of every Husker fan requiring every other fan to have their perspective on the team. Things will be okay people, if they are not...they will get someone who will make it okay. Enjoy the ride! :D

Is it wrong for Husker fans to demand excellence?

Depends on how you define it. If you are meaning in terms of wins, then yes, it is wrong. Reason being because it is sport - the outcome is never certain.

Also, the team doesn't owe the fans anything.

I would say the fans are owed a competitive team. They spend the money to go to games, buy apparel, etc. I don't think it is too much to ask to have a good product on the field.

Depends on how you define it. If you are meaning in terms of wins, then yes, it is wrong. Reason being because it is sport - the outcome is never certain.

I would say the fans are owed a competitive team. They spend the money to go to games, buy apparel, etc. I don't think it is too much to ask to have a good product on the field.

i agree with you, but a lot of schools owe their fans the same thing. not everyone can win every game. i know you said competitive team, and i would argue that is what we get. i know people will point out the blowout losses, which are bad. but, we have been competitive overall. we have won our division 3 out of the 5 last years giving us a chance to win the conference. in the big picture, we are more competitive than most teams in the nation, even in the big 10.

i agree with you, but a lot of schools owe their fans the same thing. not everyone can win every game. i know you said competitive team, and i would argue that is what we get. i know people will point out the blowout losses, which are bad. but, we have been competitive overall. we have won our division 3 out of the 5 last years giving us a chance to win the conference. in the big picture, we are more competitive than most teams in the nation, even in the big 10.

You are correct. For the statement "not owed anything" I think is not right.

You are correct. For the statement "not owed anything" I think is not right.

Anything wasn't the right word, then. "Not owed excellence" would more accurately represent what I meant.

Anyone ever wonder if had we had the technology we have today if fans would've felt the same way about Coach Osborne? Couldn't win the 'big one', etc?

From somewhere beginning about 1984, when we lost to Syracuse, and building through until the early 1990s, if there had been an internet we'd have the exact same threads about Osborne that we have about Pelini now. (NOTE - before anyone reads anything in to that, that is NOT to say that Pelini = Osborne. Only talking about the fans' reactions).....

.....Had there been an internet in the 1980s, it's possible that Osborne could have been forced out before the golden era of the 1990s ever happened. It's possible that the outcry against Charlie McBride may have reached such a crescendo that Osborne felt compelled to replace him, or Charlie retired.

Ahhhh....the 80's. So many memories of my Dad just losing his mind over each game and trying to edit himself for our sake while irately swearing at the TV or detached voice from the radio!

Anyone ever wonder if had we had the technology we have today if fans would've felt the same way about Coach Osborne? Couldn't win the 'big one', etc?

From somewhere beginning about 1984, when we lost to Syracuse, and building through until the early 1990s, if there had been an internet we'd have the exact same threads about Osborne that we have about Pelini now. (NOTE - before anyone reads anything in to that, that is NOT to say that Pelini = Osborne. Only talking about the fans' reactions).....

.....Had there been an internet in the 1980s, it's possible that Osborne could have been forced out before the golden era of the 1990s ever happened. It's possible that the outcry against Charlie McBride may have reached such a crescendo that Osborne felt compelled to replace him, or Charlie retired.

Ahhhh....the 80's. So many memories of my Dad just losing his mind over each game and trying to edit himself for our sake while irately swearing at the TV or detached voice from the radio!

Excellent point, TO and CM were not the geniuses they are now back in 1987.

Back in the 80's:

Had some crazy heartbreaking losses, real gut wretchers- was there for every one of them

BUT: we usually beat who we were supposed to beat, We didnt beat ourselves a bunch

We rarely if ever got blown out

I felt we were pretty close back then

I always felt with a spike in a year or two of recruiting and a break or 2, we eventually win a National Title. it was just a matter of time.

Was there in 94 when if finally happened, a relief more than anything.

LOTS of close calls- Right in the thick of things in 75,79,80,81,82,83,84,87,89, 93 and 96

We arent there yet with this group, hopeful we get there

Top 10 finish would be a great start

• Fire 2