Why the Big Ten is behind the SEC

Topic: Why the Big Ten is behind the SEC

Because the Big Ten aren't a bunch of cheating, myopic whores? :hmmph

Remind me again which conference has multiple teams on probation. .. ;)

Remind me which conference has multiple schools currently being investigated by the NCAA for recruiting violations?

And you're not allowed to oversign in the B1G like you can in the SEC

Yup...which is the SEC cheating the system, really.

Teams currently under probation:

Baylor

Boise St

Central Florida

Cincinnati

Michigan

Nebraska

North Carolina

Ohio State

Penn State

South Carolina

Southern California

Tennessee

However, Alabama, Auburn, and now Texas A & M have had more sanctions levied against them than the entire Big Ten combined.

Teams currently under probation:

Baylor

Boise St

Central Florida

Cincinnati

Michigan

Nebraska

North Carolina

Ohio State

Penn State

South Carolina

Southern California

Tennessee

However, Alabama, Auburn, and now Texas A & M have had more sanctions levied against them than the entire Big Ten combined.

And of all the teams listed, how many are because of BS sanctions...

Topic: Why the Big Ten is behind the SEC

Because the Big Ten aren't a bunch of cheating, myopic whores? :hmmph

alonzo-mourning-heat-upset-then-realization.gif

I'd say that pretty much sums it up. That, along with the fact that the conference footprint encompasses states with a ton of elite football talent.

I Lmao at this gif above! I have caught myself in those deep thoughts and mental conversations.

Wondering if the Cardinals are more the reason for Kentucky than the Mildcats....

and Bearcats...

fair points IA on the previous thread.

Louisville football is kinda like Hurricane football. outside of the city no one cares. Its a Wildcat state.

As for Cincinnati, I think high school football is more popular than local college football(like a Pittsburgh clone).

These maps from an old site that hasn't been updated in awhile back up what you and I are both saying:

http://commoncensus....map.php?sport=1

the nfl fans map

http://commoncensus.org/sports_map.php?sport=5

the college football map

pretty fun to look at these maps. despite the small sample size, I think they hold up to scrutiny showing not only where but how many fans a given team has. The B1G represents pretty strongly here in terms of numbers and galvanizing entire states. Nebraska shows smaller numbers and a smaller footprint, but we make up for it in passion for our team.

I think the support for the futility of Kentucky football must just be a by-product of the basketball die-hard fans.

Wondering if the Cardinals are more the reason for Kentucky than the Mildcats....

and Bearcats...

fair points IA on the previous thread.

Louisville football is kinda like Hurricane football. outside of the city no one cares. Its a Wildcat state.

As for Cincinnati, I think high school football is more popular than local college football(like a Pittsburgh clone).

These maps from an old site that hasn't been updated in awhile back up what you and I are both saying:

the nfl fans map

the college football map

pretty fun to look at these maps. despite the small sample size, I think they hold up to scrutiny showing not only where but how many fans a given team has. The B1G represents pretty strongly here in terms of numbers and galvanizing entire states. Nebraska shows smaller numbers and a smaller footprint, but we make up for it in passion for our team.

I think the support for the futility of Kentucky football must just be a by-product of the basketball die-hard fans.

Same map is linked both times

Interesting maps but they obviously didn't get a lot of responses.

yeah, only 28,419 votes... just because there is a lot of white space only means they were very specific on where the votes came from. Population centers (like Big Ten country) show up prominently.

when you cross-reference these maps with Woody's from SportsNation you can infer quite a bit. Like look at Oregon, Boise State and BYU/Utah. These areas are not NFL-dominated and have teams that have really done well in the post scholarship limit era. Hence the strong showing on the College v Pro map.

The answer is obvious. Anyplace where people are more excited about the NFL is a weird place or they have no viable college team to get excited about. I just love the excitement of college ball. On the other hand, the NFL is little more than a business. Free agency, huge contracts, and relocations ruined the game. I'll take the atmosphere of a college game any day.

Ruined the game? The NFL is bigger than ever. And with the current set up, a fan's team is never more than a couple seasons away from the playoffs, as long as their ownership/management are decent.

And you can track part of to gambling, and the rise of Fantasy Football.

The answer is obvious. Anyplace where people are more excited about the NFL is a weird place or they have no viable college team to get excited about. I just love the excitement of college ball. On the other hand, the NFL is little more than a business. Free agency, huge contracts, and relocations ruined the game. I'll take the atmosphere of a college game any day.

Ruined the game? The NFL is bigger than ever. And with the current set up, a fan's team is never more than a couple seasons away from the playoffs, as long as their ownership/management are decent.

And you can track part of to gambling, and the rise of Fantasy Football.

Yeah, but it's boring as sh#t.

6473575161_743eb84c70_b.jpg

Another map to compare with.

Big 10 Country is littered with NFL compared to the south. And not only in numbers of teams, but quality teams with large followings. Pro football was basically born in the "Gridiron Breadbasket" of Ohio and Pennsylvania, so it is not suprising that the NFL has a foothold in the region.