Why the Big Ten is behind the SEC

Kentucky's NFL football team is the Bengals just like Iowa's is Da Bears.

Bengals > Bears(at least this year)

They are STILL more excited about college football.

And Nebraska's is the Broncos or the Chiefs, depending on which end of the state your're on. Doesn't mean everyone follows them as closely as if the team was truly local.

Then something is wrong with Iowa. Da Bears stink, they are hours away and they still care more about Chicago football

Wouldn't you?

I think there is something to this, It also has a lot to do with the talent in the southeast.

Which has a lot to do with population shifts, and the opportunities that come along with a warmer climate year round.

Well, we can always hope for global warming to make the ocean swallow up most of the SE, force the population to shift back north

I don't think its Population shift, at least not yet.

Indiana still has a larger population than Alabama and Indianapolis is growing(getting the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four and was up for the Football National Championship).

football development and spring practice is a huge deal. Why northern states don't have at least 10 spring ball practices is stupid.

there is no reason why midwestern states can't be pound for pound as good as every southern state except maybe Georgia and Definitely Florida(I think they are better than Texas and Cali)

I don't think its Population shift, at least not yet.

Indiana still has a larger population than Alabama and Indianapolis is growing(getting the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four and was up for the Football National Championship).

football development and spring practice is a huge deal. Why northern states don't have at least 10 spring ball practices is stupid.

there is no reason why midwestern states can't be pound for pound as good as every southern state except maybe Georgia and Definitely Florida(I think they are better than Texas and Cali)

This, and there were population areas in the north that are experiencing population increases, like Chicago, IIRC.

Plus, in states like Texass, the population shift isn't sustainable--there simply isn't enough water to sustain the increase, and it takes years, if not decades, to dig out and bring new lakes online (remember--ALL lakes but one in Texass are man-made to gather rainwater for consumer use).

The only reason that there is a population shift in the first place is because of the wide-open, unregulated nature of business laws in Texass, and the jobs that went with them. However, at the risk of devolving this into a derp-filled political thread, this too cannot be sustained and these jobs will move back in good time.

Kentucky's NFL football team is the Bengals just like Iowa's is Da Bears.

Bengals > Bears(at least this year)

They are STILL more excited about college football.

Normally I agree with you, Woody, on most topics, but I have to differ here for several reasons:

The strength of the Bengals vs Bears (this year) means little to the passion that the fans have for their team. The Bears are one of those teams whose large fanbase will be there through thick and thin, much like your Buckeyes.

Iowa is not exclusively a Bears state NFL-wise. The north part is Vikings fans, the Northeast is Packers fans and the Southwest is Chiefs. The East and Middle are pretty strongly Bears, though.

If you look closely, Iowa was only one percentage point away from being a "college" state. Add three more percentage points, and you have Michigan. Nebraska was 70% college FYI. I can't really explain Kentucky, though.

These are mostly just semantics, though. I do agree that the SEC is passionate about their college football. Same as Nebraska, with very little NFL distractions. Glad to see OK on the red side as well. I think that the Vikings are the #1 reason for the long-term futility of the Gophers, so I agree with your major point.

Wondering if the Cardinals are more the reason for Kentucky than the Mildcats....

and Bearcats...

fair points IA on the previous thread.

Louisville football is kinda like Hurricane football. outside of the city no one cares. Its a Wildcat state.

As for Cincinnati, I think high school football is more popular than local college football(like a Pittsburgh clone).

I call at least some what BS on this. I lived in Des Moines for 15 years. I would argue that they look forward to college more. At first, I thought maybe my view of Des Moines isn't going to be indicative of the entire state. But, I would still argue BS because there are lots of ISU and Iowa fans through out small town Iowa.

Yes, there are lots of Bears fans. But, no way is that more than ISU or Iowa.