What do you guys look for in a media member covering the Huskers?

If the mods want to move this elsewhere, I am fine with that. There seems to be a lot of negative opinions regarding Dirk Chatelain of the OWH. I am not saying Dirk is great, but I think he writes some interesting stuff. It's obvious he is not going to be a sunshine-pumper (like Sipple seems to be).

I am just curious what you guys look for in terms of writers and other media members that cover Nebraska football. This goes for writers, radio guys, etc.

If the mods want to move this elsewhere, I am fine with that. There seems to be a lot of negative opinions regarding Dirk Chatelain of the OWH. I am not saying Dirk is great, but I think he writes some interesting stuff. It's obvious he is not going to be a sunshine-pumper (like Sipple seems to be).

I am just curious what you guys look for in terms of writers and other media members that cover Nebraska football. This goes for writers, radio guys, etc.

I like a mixed bag of Kool-Aid and reality. Having said that, I just want their honest opinions (especially McKewon's) about what they see in the program. My biggest problem with Dirk is that he goes out of his way to be confrontational and negative. There are A LOT of positive things happening within the Husker Football program, but Dirk fails to ever acknowledge them.... There are only a handful of local journalists that I value their opinions....

-McKewon (the best by far).

-Sipple.

- Christopherson.

-Shatel.

Objectivity.

If you have that, the sunshine will pump itself, or vice versa. I realize that is what makes journalism a mastered craft, and why there are a handful of good ones. Which is my subjective opinion.

Dirk writes great things when his opinion has no place in the article. He doesnt seem to grasp using his opinion without being a dbag.

Oh, and maybe not act like the athletic department needs you and owes you a service. How ridiculous.

Honest opinions I'm fine with. I enjoy sunshiners like Sipple. But I also really like McKewon and Shatel. The thing about Dirk is he just comes off as a button-pushing little brat. Like he thinks every presser is some sort of competition to see which writer can piss Bo off first. I was never a Dirk fan, but his bullsh#t he pulled in 2011 in that week following the Wisconsin game was utter crap, and he knew what he was doing. Hence, lanlord's post of professionalism and respect.

Don't get in a rut either way. Yes, mostly I want positive stories about the program. But, if we have issues (for instance) in the D line, I want honest stories about the issues and possible remedies and be respectful about it.

What I DON'T like is some whiney media type that has conflicts with the coaching staff taking to the press or interweb spewing crap or jokes about the program or staff. That's between you and the staff, I don't need to read or hear about that crap.

Almost all coaches are perfectly fine with honest reporting in a respectful manner. As a fan, that's what I ask for mixed with some sunshine this time of year too.

Professionalism is the one thing I would ask for. Whether you are a "sunshine pumper, realist, or hater," I don't care. I just don't like it when it is obvious that a journalist is writing a piece in order to drum up views. I understand that is part of their job, but earn those views through quality work. Part of my profession is judged on how many hours you bill. You don't see me doing unnecessary or unethical BS just to drum up those numbers. No, work hard and put out quality work, and your numbers will take care of themselves.