Mandel's Big Ten predictions

ADS

I'm not one to buy into recruiting hype, but how does a team recruit that well have an empty cupboard?

Ask Bill Callahan.

I'm assuming you are saying that Solich didn't recruit that well so Cally had an empty cupboard? Because when Bo got here and Cally recruits finally got into the system...the cupboard was obviously far from empty. In fact he'd stocked it nicely.

And I believe recruiting at Michigan pre-Hoke was much better than recruiting at Nebraska pre-Callahan. I am guessing there is plenty of talent waiting to get on the field at Michigan.

I'm not one to buy into recruiting hype, but how does a team recruit that well have an empty cupboard?

Ask Bill Callahan.

I'm assuming you are saying that Solich didn't recruit that well so Cally had an empty cupboard? Because when Bo got here and Cally recruits finally got into the system...the cupboard was obviously far from empty. In fact he'd stocked it nicely.

And I believe recruiting at Michigan pre-Hoke was much better than recruiting at Nebraska pre-Callahan. I am guessing there is plenty of talent waiting to get on the field at Michigan.

I believe what he's saying - the way I took it, anyway - was that Callahan had stocked the cupboard quite well, he just couldn't get results out of them. Hoke seems to have recruited quite well but Landlord is saying he hasn't done much with those good recruits.

Ask Bill Callahan.

I believe what he's saying - the way I took it, anyway - was that Callahan had stocked the cupboard quite well, he just couldn't get results out of them. Hoke seems to have recruited quite well but Landlord is saying he hasn't done much with those good recruits.

He's only had a couple of years. If we're going to use the excuse that Bo's 2008/2009/2010 classes stunk, and that he didn't have his type of guys in the system then we probably better give the same benefit of the doubt to Hoke. A lot of those are "only" sophomores right now. That's young on a Nebraska team. Don't see why it wouldn't be young on a Michigan team. Third year in...plenty of coaches leave their mark 3rd year in with recruiting classes like that.

Michigan = questionable front 7 on D, average skill position players (including a QB who had 2 good games against bad defenses and 2 decent/average other games), and replacing 3 starters on the Oline (and top 2 TEs). We might lose at Michigan but they will falter somewhere else.
This is what I don't understand. I've heard this analysis from several places, including boards and journalists. This description of mediocre talent doesn't jive with a team that had 6th & 7th ranked recruiting classes the last two years, and top-20 two of three years before that. I'm not one to buy into recruiting hype, but how does a team recruit that well have an empty cupboard?
You watched Michigan play last year, right? Gallon was the only skill player worth a crap. Replacing 3 oline starters (and 2 TEs) with freshmen (last 2 years classes for my point) doesn't spell success. Same thing on the dline. They will be scary in another year or 2 when the talent develops.

Not sure why people are saying Michigan is replacing their TE's.....Devin Funchess led their team last year in receiving TD's with 5 (as a freshman).

Michigan = questionable front 7 on D, average skill position players (including a QB who had 2 good games against bad defenses and 2 decent/average other games), and replacing 3 starters on the Oline (and top 2 TEs). We might lose at Michigan but they will falter somewhere else.
This is what I don't understand. I've heard this analysis from several places, including boards and journalists. This description of mediocre talent doesn't jive with a team that had 6th & 7th ranked recruiting classes the last two years, and top-20 two of three years before that. I'm not one to buy into recruiting hype, but how does a team recruit that well have an empty cupboard?
You watched Michigan play last year, right? Gallon was the only skill player worth a crap. Replacing 3 oline starters (and 2 TEs) with freshmen (last 2 years classes for my point) doesn't spell success. Same thing on the dline. They will be scary in another year or 2 when the talent develops.

Not sure why people are saying Michigan is replacing their TE's.....Devin Funchess led their team last year in receiving TD's with 5 (as a freshman).

Not sure why losing a tight end or two spells doom for a team (we lost both of ours and no one seems to be worried)

Ask Bill Callahan.

Overlooked thing about the stars with Callahan is that he knew one of the talking heads (Tom Lemming) of one of the recruiting services. Let's just say that his guys he brought in got the benefit of the doubt with stars.

Callahan left the cupboard bare in key areas mainly offensive line. If we would have been able to keep the '08 OL class together before it fell apart Lord knows where we would have been in '09. Hoch, Givens, Robinson, and Reiff (yeah first round draft pick Riley Reiff) would have added a ton of depth that year and a few of those guys played as true freshman at their respective schools.

Ask Bill Callahan.

He's only had a couple of years. If we're going to use the excuse that Bo's 2008/2009/2010 classes stunk, and that he didn't have his type of guys in the system then we probably better give the same benefit of the doubt to Hoke. A lot of those are "only" sophomores right now. That's young on a Nebraska team. Don't see why it wouldn't be young on a Michigan team. Third year in...plenty of coaches leave their mark 3rd year in with recruiting classes like that.

Im all for waiting for Brady to bring his guys in. He's only going to have worse results against us as he switches to a pro-style offense.

Overlooked thing about the stars with Callahan is that he knew one of the talking heads (Tom Lemming) of one of the recruiting services. Let's just say that his guys he brought in got the benefit of the doubt with stars.

Callahan left the cupboard bare in key areas mainly offensive line. If we would have been able to keep the '08 OL class together before it fell apart Lord knows where we would have been in '09. Hoch, Givens, Robinson, and Reiff (yeah first round draft pick Riley Reiff) would have added a ton of depth that year and a few of those guys played as true freshman at their respective schools.

yeah, I think Cally's classes proved their worth though. Maybe not top 5, but there were some great talent in those classes. Hickman, Slauson, Jones, Nicks, Williams, Burkes, M.Jones. He has 2-3 per class. Better than we've seen here since. The OL recruiting has been pretty rough under Bo as well. I hope we don't look back on the 11' and 12' classes and see a major gap in the pipeline, but it's looking like that might happen. Lot riding on that 13' class next year.

Not sure why losing a tight end or two spells doom for a team (we lost both of ours and no one seems to be worried)

It's doesn't. My point was they are replacing 3 oline starters plus 2 TEs that help with blocking. The TEs aren't the end of the world but it would be better for an inexperienced oline to have 2 experienced TEs helping them out.

I missed Funchess, my bad.

• Fire 1

NW is not going to be a cake walk, by any means. They are just as good as last year, and who knows why Fitz played Semien instead of Kolter? But, I think that may have saved us in 2012.

I think we win, but it will be a very tough game.

Fitz play Semien over Kain because Kolter did absolutely nothing against us.

Lets take a look at some notes from Northwestern 2012 and determine the issue

we had twice as many first downs

3 times as many pass yards

Ameer had 5ypc and 120 yds without having a rush over 20 yards

besides the 80 yard run, Mark avg 2 ypc

Penalties and time of possession were relatively close

TURNOVERS

Nebraska 4

Northwestern 0

I think we have our answer, ladies and gents. Even if we limited it to one turnover we would have won by two touchdowns.

1st quarter Ameer fumbled a punt at like our 15 yard line. Led to touchdown

NW is punting out of their own endzone, kenny muffs it instead of being one capable first down from points

On about a 30 yard reception, kyler fumbles....ending a good drive

4 and 3 and taylor takes a sack. TOD

To start the 4th we take a sack and two consecutive penalties later, drive over leading to a short NW td.

Northwestern didnt almost beat us. We almost beat us.

• Fire 1

Lets take a look at some notes from Northwestern 2012 and determine the issue

we had twice as many first downs

3 times as many pass yards

Ameer had 5ypc and 120 yds without having a rush over 20 yards

besides the 80 yard run, Mark avg 2 ypc

Penalties and time of possession were relatively close

TURNOVERS

Nebraska 4

Northwestern 0

I think we have our answer, ladies and gents. Even if we limited it to one turnover we would have won by two touchdowns.

1st quarter Ameer fumbled a punt at like our 15 yard line. Led to touchdown

NW is punting out of their own endzone, kenny muffs it instead of being one capable first down from points

On about a 30 yard reception, kyler fumbles....ending a good drive

4 and 3 and taylor takes a sack. TOD

To start the 4th we take a sack and two consecutive penalties later, drive over leading to a short NW td.

Northwestern didnt almost beat us. We almost beat us.

No offense, but I think this concept was settled like 26 posts ago? :P