Lincoln gets State Volleyball Tournament 2014-2016

The Nebraska School Activities Association’s Board of Directors voted Wednesday to move the state volleyball tournament to Lincoln for three years beginning in 2014.

With a bid that included the new Pinnacle Bank Arena and a renovated Devaney Sports Center (home of the Nebraska volleyball team), Lincoln brings back a tournament that it hosted from 1981 to 2009.

LINK

While Grand Island did a good job with this in years past, this is very good news for Lincoln. I think the tournament belongs here. Terry Pettit worked a long time to make this the volleyball Mecca of Nebraska.

I think Lincoln should host most of the high school state championships. With the addition of the PBA and other facility upgrades, along with the additional hotel options, Lincoln is a great spot. It's close and big enough for the Omaha teams and fans, without the "too big of a city" stigma that Omaha has with the rest of the state.

State championships should always be in Lincoln. Growing up there always was the aura of "making it to State". Anywhere else seems like just another game or tournament.

That's because you're too young to remember when the state championship football games were hosted by one of the teams playing. ;)

I'm sure getting to play in Memorial Stadium is an unbelievable experience and Class A and probably B (which are generally closer to Lincoln) works out pretty well but it does lose something for the lower classes compared to having the entire town packing the bleachers instead of a 90% empty stadium. Not saying I think it should go back but there are trade-offs.

State championships should always be in Lincoln. Growing up there always was the aura of "making it to State". Anywhere else seems like just another game or tournament.

That's because you're too young to remember when the state championship football games were hosted by one of the teams playing. ;)

I'm sure getting to play in Memorial Stadium is an unbelievable experience and Class A and probably B (which are generally closer to Lincoln) works out pretty well but it does lose something for the lower classes compared to having the entire town packing the bleachers instead of a 90% empty stadium. Not saying I think it should go back but there are trade-offs.

Wasn't there something about not being able to hold state championships on campus? Some NCAA idea I think.

Wasn't there something about not being able to hold state championships on campus? Some NCAA idea I think.

There was but I'm not sure what ever came from it. I think there was quite a bit of push back from states like Nebraska where there aren't many choices for places to play and only one major football program in the state so they are getting a recruiting advantage (the supposed reasoning) over other schools in the state.

I thought the NCAA rule only applied to "All Star" games...which is why the Shrine Bowl is moving to Kearney.

I thought the NCAA rule only applied to "All Star" games...which is why the Shrine Bowl is moving to Kearney.

The original proposal included state championships. Perhaps it got changed to only apply to all star games.

For which, I have never understood why it still can be held at UNK. Does that only apply to Div 1 schools?

For which, I have never understood why it still can be held at UNK. Does that only apply to Div 1 schools?

Yep..only Div I falls under this one. NCAA Bylaw 13.11.1.9

“…a Div. I.... institution [including any institutional department (e.g., athletics, recreational/intramural)] shall not host, sponsor or conduct a nonscholastic football practice or competition (e.g., seven-on-seven events) in which football prospective student-athletes participate on its campus or at an off-campus facility regularly used by the institution for practice and/or competition by any of the institution's sport programs.”