What we learned today...

walksalone

Maybe the thousands of fans that headed for the exits with 7 minutes left and 16 point lead would stay for the rest of the damn game for just one time instead of trying to get out to your car to nip at your frickin beer-like it cant wait another half hour-or beat the traffic(like it matters, it's gameday. there's gonna be traffic now and later and even laterer), then maybe the team won pack it in with seven minutes left either. I'm still trying to figure out why 3 pages into this thread this wasnt brought up yet (unless I missed it, I apologize to you). Up 37-21 with the ball, driving, pretty much doing what we want. All relaxed cruising to a win. Then bam. Int. Oh well. Well not oh well, cuz it appears this defense full of youngster decided to take the foot of the gas as well. 2 plays and TD. Now they have hope, and we cant find the switch again. Problem? Yes, a huge damn problem. But we have to realize the from early 2nd quarter on till about 7-8 minutes left in the game, Wyoming was stuck on 14 points. Yards? Yeah. Some. But it's about points not yards. And when I saw us playing like we shouldve, we appeared to be better than them by a few steps. I also think it took our guys on D a good quarter to get acclimated to full speed of a game situation. I expect a huge jump by next week. But damn, 4 quarters needs to get put together. The way the team appeared to pack it in is much more concerning than anything else.

• Fire 1

Didn't learn much from this game. Went a little worse than expected, but not much worse.

Uh, most predictions I saw, from fans, had us at 50+ to 20-, or so. Yea, I'd say it went alot worse than expected. I was conservative and predicted 41-20 and I now feel like somebody just stole my puppy dog...

Taylor threw a pick with what, 7 minutes left? We put that in and it goes to 44-21, and Wyoming probably packs it in too at that point. So yeah, of course the last half of the fourth quarter was a complete cluster f#*k, but up until that point, Wyo was stuck on 14 througout most of and all of the 3rd quarter. I really think a lot of the concerns are being blown out of proportion. Yes, they are legit, but like Bo said, it's really not as bad as it seems. I'm rewatching it right now. It's really not.

Wyoming will make a push for conference champs this year.

Newby could be our future.

More like he is our present. He's right there with Ameer.

our stable of backs (Abdullah, Cross, Newby) are going to be handful for a lot of teams...

I wonder why Adam Taylor redshirted already. Does anybody know?

If you watched taht stretch in the 3rd and 4th quarters, your question should be answered.

• Fire 1

It's not "talent", it's coaching.

Zero pass rush.

Zero run defense.

We (still) need a defensive coordinator.

Beck not afraid to continue running our injured QB. :facepalm:

Offensive line not any better than last season.

Picking up where we left off as far as turnovers/penalties go.

Bo still not afraid to burn a defensive timeout on 3rd and long. :facepalm:

We do have a legit 3-deep at running back. That's some good news, I guess. Cross and Newby were awesome. Although I thought Newby looked a little tentative at times. It's to be expected as a true freshman though.

Also, Enunwa looks like he could be a #1 WR in the NFL.

Didn't learn much from this game. Went a little worse than expected, but not much worse. Knew Wyoming would get YARDS passing. Rushing, surprised me, as I'm sure it surprised Bo and Pap. Adjusted well at half time. D-Line is young, I'm sure they learned a lot more than they would've in practice this game. Wyoming's game plan is essentially what Wisconsins gameplan was. Motion, run/pass balance. They had a great game plan. Still don't think Josh Mitchell is worthy of starting, but meh.

*This defense is already better than last years defense and most of them are freshman or sophomores. Always knew the first two weeks would be a learning experience for these guys.

*Newby needs to be on the field more. He is going to be a great one.

*The defensive play calling needs to be more diverse. I know they've been working with "odd" blitzes, but I don't think they showed any of them today.

*Need to get more emotionally involved offensively and defensively. I think we came out way too emotional and involved, and then we toned it down completely and played with hardly any emotion

*Taylor still forces stuff.

IMO it was much worse. We were a 28 point favorite. I did not expect to give up 600 yards. I expected less than 350. This game was a disaster.

What were you expecting from a defense that features 13 freshman/sophomores in the 2 deep? Some dominant performance from them? Most of them its their first time in a college football game. The expectations are unreasonable. The jump this D will make between now and B1G play is going to be tenfold of whatever jump we've seen in previous years - because those guys, in previous years, for the most part already had game experience and knew the system in and out. These guys don't. They're learning and adjusting to the speed still. That alone is a lot.

We weren't expect 2012+...it's pretty simple.

Do you think this defense is even CLOSE to being what it will be in B1G play? It is pretty unintelligent to think so, considering: first game for most of them, they are still learning the defense, and adjusting to the speed of the game.

EDIT - Thats not to say that this defense will be "great", just that they are already better than last year and they have significantly more potential due to the youth and inexperience and improved athleticism. I'd be pretty surprised if Gerry did that poorly again - and ZA and Afalava were missing.

Yea, I think they will be alot better in B1G play: next year. Looks like more talent on the DL but Randy Gregory is the only one that had me a bit excited. Thad is meh. Val? Hmmm, I dunno. Moss, Curry, well they both look fairly good in a uniform but who knows. Ankrah looks like same ol same ol--average.

Because of the youthful inexperience, I don't see them turning much of a corner until mid season at the very least. They are going to have a rough time in the B1G this year, is my take. Oh well, there's more, but I dont wanna go into it. Gerry looks like he's going to be real good for us.

I don't see much positive spin on a unit that just had 600+ yds put up on them by a MWC team and was essentially schooled by a good, though not great, B level QB. And, they nearly 'produced' a monumental, App St, NDSU level, historic loss for us. No, can't spin that one so well.

If they are so talented, that shouldnt have happened, regardless of experience. The 2ndary looked like the rookies at times, quite frankly. Well, I guess Cooper and Jackson are more or less rookies and it showed, they got their asses handed to them on more than one occasion.

Some people don't understand that Bo's defense isn't about NOT giving up yards. It's about not giving up BIG chunks of yards and TDs.

Oh, so, not only did Bo's D give up a huge # of yds(which they're "supposed" to do) to an MWC bottom feeder, they also did the things they are not supposed to do: give up BIG chunks AND TDs. I feel better now. No, I'm worried, for realz...worried.

What I learned from today's game?

Well, after we narrowly avoided the worst upset of Pelini's career, my father pointed me towards a similar game. In 1994, the 'skers opened up against a very weak team, you guessed it, Wyoming. After a huge scare Nebraska pulled away late to win it 42 - 32. After the game, most fans figured it would be a long season once Nebraska would have to face any real competition but, as you probably all know, they ended up winning the national championship.

Long story short. This is the first game of the season. This team will evolve incredibly and we how the next games will go. Let's try not to overreact too much...

Slight difference with the '94 team, they had this guy:

0109_large.jpg

• Fire 1

If they are so talented, that shouldnt have happened, regardless of experience.

You are implying talent is more important than experience? Did you see the Ohio State or Alabama game? Ohio State replaced one offensive lineman and Buffalo bullied him. Khalil Mack and co. were all over Miller at one point and would've been down a field goal if not for a penalty called on a turnover. Alabama won 35-10 but if you watched it it was not a decisive win. They replaced most of they defense and their offensive line and from a team in VT where most picked them to get blown out in a rebuilding year they actually out gained 'Bama. Not to mentioned Vt had 153 rushing yards while 'Bama had a measly 2.5 yard rushing average. This coming from a team that consistently gets a top 5 recruiting class from a Saban coached team that always comes to play. While I respect talent, you can't overlook experience. First game jitters, the anxiety of a new football season, whatever it may be, this isn't an isolated only 'Nebraska' thing. Dear Husker Nation- It gets better.

• Fire 1