What we learned today...

walksalone

I find it hard to understand the adaption to college level speed. We are supposed to have a top ten offense, that has very fast running backs, top WR's, and one of the best running QB's in the nation. A supposed best Oline in years. How does a defense playing against that level of a team in practice not know college speed. How can they look so overwhelmed. Lost. Most of these kids have been playing football since they were very little, most have played at top level programs, that are prep schools for college. Well coached players. How do they turn into kids that seem to have forgotten the basics of the game when they arrive here.

Our problem is partially talent, but coaching/scheme on the defensive side is the main problem.

We read all summer long how great these young kids were going to be, how improved they were by subtraction. The kool aid flowed, and a lot bought into it.

Now we have played three straight games, giving up 600 yards in each one of them. Had we played a top ten team last night, what would have happened?

I do not want Bo fired, but I want improvement on the defensive coaching side. This has become a trend, a way of life, and most of us that have been around a long time do not understand how it is happening. We have one of the highest paid coaches in the country, and that is for a reason. We want to win, and spare little expense in doing it. Nebraska fan is not getting what they are paying for, Wyoming fan got what they paid for in spades. See, Wisconsin and Georgia.

Time to quit blaming the kids, take some time at other programs that have figured todays offenses out and stopped them. Get help, because it is needed. I have no idea what Southern Miss will bring offensively, but I virtually guarantee UCLA will put 600 plus on us if things remain the same. Not good anyway you look at it.

If UCLA does it, there is no reason not to expect Northwestern, Michigan to do it. The buck stops with Bo, he has made little to no improvement since Wisconsin that I can see. His defenses are worse than Cosgrove by a long ways.

We pressured the QB and he panicked most of the time.....then we laid back and he had his way with us. Linebackers, if there were any on the field, were non-existent. DB's were too far off the receivers most of the time, probably due to the ten minutes a play they had to cover. When our guys were in position, we dominated. Is Charlie McBride available?

Often, it looked like the LBs ran off the field at the snap. The middle of the field was empty. My dream is that McBride comes back to coach the defense for the rest of this season and then picks a new DC.

Sorry, I do not coach football still, did when my kid was small, but have coached and trained Olympic level athletes, ran major off road motorcycle and mountain bike teams. I have an idea of coaching.

This defensive scheme has shown to be the worst ever at the University. How is this game different from the last two last year, other than supposedly a less talented team to play against. The trend is down with last nights game. 600 yard 4 times in less than a year. 4 of the 10 worst games to ever be played by Nebraska. Clownahan was gone after two. We most likely will 3 more this year. If history means anything, we are bound to repeat it with scheme. This game screams change is needed.

So your saying that the players this year are not anymore talented then they were last year because of the yards they allowed?

If they are so talented, that shouldnt have happened, regardless of experience.

You are implying talent is more important than experience? Did you see the Ohio State or Alabama game? Ohio State replaced one offensive lineman and Buffalo bullied him. Khalil Mack and co. were all over Miller at one point and would've been down a field goal if not for a penalty called on a turnover. Alabama won 35-10 but if you watched it it was not a decisive win. They replaced most of they defense and their offensive line and from a team in VT where most picked them to get blown out in a rebuilding year they actually out gained 'Bama. Not to mentioned Vt had 153 rushing yards while 'Bama had a measly 2.5 yard rushing average. This coming from a team that consistently gets a top 5 recruiting class from a Saban coached team that always comes to play. While I respect talent, you can't overlook experience. First game jitters, the anxiety of a new football season, whatever it may be, this isn't an isolated only 'Nebraska' thing. Dear Husker Nation- It gets better.

This ^

Best post of the thread.

Uh, VT and Wyo hardly make a good comparison to base one's viewpoint, if yer feelin' me here.

VT's quarterback wishes he had half the talent of Brett Smith.

Sorry, I do not coach football still, did when my kid was small, but have coached and trained Olympic level athletes, ran major off road motorcycle and mountain bike teams. I have an idea of coaching.

This defensive scheme has shown to be the worst ever at the University. How is this game different from the last two last year, other than supposedly a less talented team to play against. The trend is down with last nights game. 600 yard 4 times in less than a year. 4 of the 10 worst games to ever be played by Nebraska. Clownahan was gone after two. We most likely will 3 more this year. If history means anything, we are bound to repeat it with scheme. This game screams change is needed.

Agree. Something must be done. This is a trend. The trend started in 2010; lots of yards rushing, but a pretty good scoring defense. 2011 piss poor all around. 2012 piss poor and breaking Cosgrove records. 2013, 600 yards of defense to lesser competition.

Think we learned that we know what other teams especially Michigan and NW are going to do to our D. Spread it out with 4 or 5 wide and gash us up the middle with RB or QB.

I bet we also have a more consistent DLine rotation by then also. I'd even venture to say Valentine and Curry will probably be side by side, maybe with McMullen and Moss on the edges. A lot of what happened last night is the result of poor LB play (which Bo admitted he was worried about.) Better hope Bando or Rose turn it on, real quick.

I think I learned that only Michigan and Wisconsin are the good teams in the B1G this year. They seemed to be the only ones that looked impressive in their opening games. The rest of the B1G looked mediocre and if you say other wise, you must not have watched any of the other games.

What I learned, the good: Our running game is going to be scary good this year, and we need to rely on that. AA ran well, Imani Cross looked great despite a couple of slip-ups and Terrell Newby... what more can we say about that kid? He is something special.

What I learned, the bad: Have to start with the defense, naturally. Lack of d-line pressure, non-existent linebackers and miscues. The first job of any defense is to control the LOS, and we didn't do that. That most important step moving forward is build and work the defense from the inside out, starting with the line.

What I learned, the ugly: In the last three games, Nebraska has given up more than a mile of total offense. The same miscues that plagued the "more experienced, less talented" 2012 defense plaguing the "less experienced, more talented" 2013 defense. At this point, the scheme and coaching appear to be the culprits. After losing a dominant interior linemen, we've continually gotten worse and worse on defense. It's to the point now where we can't even stop a team from gashing us between the tackles. I don't think the two-gap works with our players, either that, or the way it's being coached isn't getting through.

I am saying the kids are not to blame. They are blamed for the failures, but the plan they work is the same. Supposedly better athletes than last year, with the same results. I understand they are new, and will get better, but we had seniors last year that got thrown under the bus. We have a system that is hurting them, not allowing them to play, but have to think too much to react to the play. Some are not on the level of the top teams it appears. That is recruiting and development. The buck stops one place, not the kids, the coordinators, but the head coach. A head coach still in way over his head, needs help and refuses to seek it or get it.

This is not a want Bo gone deal. But we pay the man a tremendous amount of money for the results he provides. He/We need to understand he is not the defensive genius he is claimed to be. He needs help and has since he got here.

I think Bo has shown he's willing to adapt, even in the most minute ways. He handed out blackshirts early and made permanent captains, so that tells me he's willing to adjust to improve performance.

He sees what we see, if not more. On a Husker post-game show last night, he said he "still believes" in what they're trying to do and what they're trying to accomplish.

All that said, those adjustments have to translate onto the field. I don't trust the scheme because it consistently gets KO'd in the first round of the fight. We have really good players, even if they're not the most experienced. These kids are more than capable of holding a team to less than 400 yards of total offense, even 300-350 depending on the opponent. If we can't out-talent, we have to out-coach and out-scheme. We're making adjustments inside an umbrella, when it's starting to look more and more like we need a new umbrella.

I learned I would not want to have to tackle him. What a specimen. Impressive last night. I would like to see both Ameer and Imani in the back field on a regular basis. Terror.

We have done fantastic at recruiting good backs and making them better. That part of our coaching staff seems spot on. Newby was amazing last night.

If they are so talented, that shouldnt have happened, regardless of experience.

You are implying talent is more important than experience? Did you see the Ohio State or Alabama game? Ohio State replaced one offensive lineman and Buffalo bullied him. Khalil Mack and co. were all over Miller at one point and would've been down a field goal if not for a penalty called on a turnover. Alabama won 35-10 but if you watched it it was not a decisive win. They replaced most of they defense and their offensive line and from a team in VT where most picked them to get blown out in a rebuilding year they actually out gained 'Bama. Not to mentioned Vt had 153 rushing yards while 'Bama had a measly 2.5 yard rushing average. This coming from a team that consistently gets a top 5 recruiting class from a Saban coached team that always comes to play. While I respect talent, you can't overlook experience. First game jitters, the anxiety of a new football season, whatever it may be, this isn't an isolated only 'Nebraska' thing. Dear Husker Nation- It gets better.

This ^

Best post of the thread.

Uh, VT and Wyo hardly make a good comparison to base one's viewpoint, if yer feelin' me here.

Last year 'Bama won the NC. VT went 7-6. 'Bama has an experienced QB, a great RB in Yeldon, talented WRs, and a young defense. See the similarities now?

No, VT is a big league team with big league players in a big league conference. Wyo is not any of those. How do you think Bama fairs with Wyo? Me thinks they win by 35+, not 3, and they sure as heck dont give up 600+ yds.