What we learned today...

walksalone

Didn't learn much from this game. Went a little worse than expected, but not much worse. Knew Wyoming would get YARDS passing. Rushing, surprised me, as I'm sure it surprised Bo and Pap. Adjusted well at half time. D-Line is young, I'm sure they learned a lot more than they would've in practice this game. Wyoming's game plan is essentially what Wisconsins gameplan was. Motion, run/pass balance. They had a great game plan. Still don't think Josh Mitchell is worthy of starting, but meh.

*This defense is already better than last years defense and most of them are freshman or sophomores. Always knew the first two weeks would be a learning experience for these guys.

*Newby needs to be on the field more. He is going to be a great one.

*The defensive play calling needs to be more diverse. I know they've been working with "odd" blitzes, but I don't think they showed any of them today.

*Need to get more emotionally involved offensively and defensively. I think we came out way too emotional and involved, and then we toned it down completely and played with hardly any emotion

*Taylor still forces stuff.

IMO it was much worse. We were a 28 point favorite. I did not expect to give up 600 yards. I expected less than 350. This game was a disaster.

What were you expecting from a defense that features 13 freshman/sophomores in the 2 deep? Some dominant performance from them? Most of them its their first time in a college football game. The expectations are unreasonable. The jump this D will make between now and B1G play is going to be tenfold of whatever jump we've seen in previous years - because those guys, in previous years, for the most part already had game experience and knew the system in and out. These guys don't. They're learning and adjusting to the speed still. That alone is a lot.

I don't think expecting less than 600 yards is an unreasonable thing, no. I think it's safe to say we weren't expecting domination but we got our freaking asses kicked...

I learned that you can "Rough the Passer" when the QB doesn't throw the ball. I was beside myself.

We have the Kenny Bell rule. Guess we'll have the RG44 rule now

Yes, football is dying (being killed) right before our eyes. A couple more years of this bullsh#t and you won't be able to differentiate between football and synchronized swimming. If that tackle is a penalty, better give em batons and spats now. Absofuckinglutely ridiculus. IT'S A CONTACT SPORT........at least it used to be.

• Fire 1

Man, all these negative nancy's sure do come out of the woodworks. It's hilarious

This.

its what i love about husker football. Young defense is about mistakes and nu wasn't short of them today. Most of these guys went to prom 6 months ago..

god bless the internet

• Fire 3

Who knows, Wyoming could end up being the best team in the MWC. Even with the "bad" D we still had the game in hand until those 2 quick TD drives. Seems like in the 4th we got a little too lackadaisical and it bit us in the ass. Not saying the defense was doing good before then, but the DBs took a shot at both balls that were caught for TDs.

A lot of things went right for Wyoming, and they played with a lot of energy. The world isn't ending yet, but this team is on a short leash.

So you're saying we may have just beat the champs of the Idaho Potato Bowl.....Nice

Man, all these negative nancy's sure do come out of the woodworks.

It's hilarious.

I've been saying variations of the same for several seasons now but I'm sure that the moment where Bo proves me wrong is right around the corner.

Cool story, man.

Go right ahead and be satisfied with a tick better than mediocre. Nobody's stopping you. Since you apparently missed the game, we gave up 600+ yards to Wyoming. Sure, bring on UCLA, Michigan, and tOSU.

I'm probably rehashing what the sunshine pumpers are saying, but this game isn't the end of the world. We fielded a young defense against an extremely difficult style offense to defend. Yes, we only won by 3, and that leaves a dirty taste in my mouth, but we were up a lot bigger and rolling before we got laxidasical and Wyoming made a run. That alone is probably responsible for 150 of their yards. The Linebackers concern me. They were non existant tonight, but the D-line was either getting held or making a push, which is much more then we can say for last year. The secondary, for the most part, wasn't out of position. Smith was just putting the ball in exactly the right place all night. We were forcing him out of the pocket and making him pass on the run and his accuracy was great. He was simply putting the ball in the perfect place. There's not much we can do about that, and I doubt many QBs we face this year can replicate it. Yes, there's a lot of work to be done, but (at least at this point), I'm not terribly concerned. The most improvement comes between games 1 and 2, and with this young of a D, we should see a lot (key word being should)

Didn't learn much from this game. Went a little worse than expected, but not much worse. Knew Wyoming would get YARDS passing. Rushing, surprised me, as I'm sure it surprised Bo and Pap. Adjusted well at half time. D-Line is young, I'm sure they learned a lot more than they would've in practice this game. Wyoming's game plan is essentially what Wisconsins gameplan was. Motion, run/pass balance. They had a great game plan. Still don't think Josh Mitchell is worthy of starting, but meh.

*This defense is already better than last years defense and most of them are freshman or sophomores. Always knew the first two weeks would be a learning experience for these guys.

*Newby needs to be on the field more. He is going to be a great one.

*The defensive play calling needs to be more diverse. I know they've been working with "odd" blitzes, but I don't think they showed any of them today.

*Need to get more emotionally involved offensively and defensively. I think we came out way too emotional and involved, and then we toned it down completely and played with hardly any emotion

*Taylor still forces stuff.

IMO it was much worse. We were a 28 point favorite. I did not expect to give up 600 yards. I expected less than 350. This game was a disaster.

What were you expecting from a defense that features 13 freshman/sophomores in the 2 deep? Some dominant performance from them? Most of them its their first time in a college football game. The expectations are unreasonable. The jump this D will make between now and B1G play is going to be tenfold of whatever jump we've seen in previous years - because those guys, in previous years, for the most part already had game experience and knew the system in and out. These guys don't. They're learning and adjusting to the speed still. That alone is a lot.

I don't think expecting less than 600 yards is an unreasonable thing, no. I think it's safe to say we weren't expecting domination but we got our freaking asses kicked...

I said we did worse than I expected, didn't I? I had 450 yards the number of yards we would give up. Some people don't understand that Bo's defense isn't about NOT giving up yards. It's about not giving up BIG chunks of yards and TDs.

I think that is three straight games of 600 plus yards. Indicates a problem to me. Most on here expected the defense to be better by subtraction. Some questioned, but I doubt anyone expected what happened tonight.

Some are saying the O was good, but it was against one of the worst defenses in the country last year. I think the talent is there to be pretty good on both sides of the ball. But there is going to be a lot of work for this team to win 9 games this year.

Out coached. And I think the Wyoming kids were in better physical shape comparatively.

I watched the Ole Miss game, had a lot of freshmen playing and they played well. A lot of work ahead of us for the UCLA game.

Who knows, Wyoming could end up being the best team in the MWC. Even with the "bad" D we still had the game in hand until those 2 quick TD drives. Seems like in the 4th we got a little too lackadaisical and it bit us in the ass. Not saying the defense was doing good before then, but the DBs took a shot at both balls that were caught for TDs.

A lot of things went right for Wyoming, and they played with a lot of energy. The world isn't ending yet, but this team is on a short leash.

So you're saying we may have just beat the champs of the Idaho Potato Bowl.....Nice

Best team in MWC is better than Boise State, who is a pretty good team. We had this game in hand, and then Wyoming had 2 very quick drives that resulted in 2 tds. The 4th Quarter of the game needs to be better, but I'm not proclaiming the season being over after the first game because we allowed a lot of yards on defense.

Do I recognize we need a whole sh#t ton of improvement? Absolutely, but it was the first game played by a lot of people on defense. They can get better and I believe they will get better.

• Fire 1

I wish I shared you confidence, I know this defense will improve but after having only one game so far to compare to last years d and how bad they played I just cant say with confidence this years defense will be better than last year. but hey this defense has now where to go but up

I have confidence in them because I've seen them with my own two eyes give our offense some pretty serious problems. Inconsistency, emotions, and second guessing yourself is part of youth and inexperience. It will only improve with experience. This defense could be a lot worse. They were 1-8 on 3rd down conversions, for instance.

Also, I'm fairly positive we lose that game handily last year if they come out with that exact same game plan (at the same time in the year.) That game epitomized what UCLA, Wisconsin, Ohio State did to us.