What we learned today...

walksalone

The result on defense seems pretty simple.

1. We are very green on that side of the ball. We are unusually inexperienced in the front seven. We will get better.

2. B. Smith is a player an offense that really fits his strengths. He's among the top group of quarterbacks we'll face this season.

3. Schemes and adjustments to them are part of a constant cat and mouse game. Over time coaches develop ways to attack almost all schemes. Sometimes it can be tweaked and it remains viable. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and make a wholesale change. I think we may have reached the point where the latter needs to happen with this defense. Bo obviously understands defense but he's married to a system that he has previously been wildly successful with. Baring radical improvement, Bo needs to strongly consider divorcing himself from his system and bringing in an outside DC. The book seems to be out on how to attack his scheme. Not every team is equipped to do it, but too many opposing offenses are having their way with us.

Things I learned after reading this thread:

1. We have too many armchair QB's that think they know what is best for Husker football when they're not directly involved with it
  2. Our defense is young...but when you have a humbling experience like this, you learn
  3. Imani Cross averaged 8.1 yards per carry and everyone thought I was crazy for saying he deserved the #2 spot touting the freshmen instead. Eat crow you bizzles.
  4. Bo Pelini isn't stupid...he knows what needs to be fixed...he's known for 3 years now. The kids aren't getting it. He has to figure out why they're not.
  5. Tim Beck is still learning because some of his play calling was atrocious
  6. Our pass defense SUCKED but had a few good plays.
  7. Our linebackers sucked and are the reason we got torched on the ground...the line only had 4 people on it with our best guys getting double teamed...backers need to plug those holes and they were nonexistent.
  8. We need to teach people to FINISH...on both sides of the ball. I saw people loafing on plays left and right both on offense and defense. That crap is unacceptable in high school football let alone college.
  9. I know Bo Pelini gets it because he's coached defenses that have ranked in the top 5 in the nation numerous times (including here)...He needs to find out how to get his kids to execute on the field.
  10. Those refs sucked bigtime
  11. There's not much difference between a 250 lb lineman and a 300 lb one...Wyoming's offense proved that
  12. The defense can be fixed...but it will take a team effort and a major effort on the coaches

Newby looked pretty good for his first game as a true freshman, didn't he?

Suck it, you bizzle.

EDIT - Also the rest of your post I somewhat I agree with. Way to be level headed.

1. We have too many armchair QB's that think they know what is best for Husker football when they're not directly involved with it
  2. Our defense is young...but when you have a humbling experience like this, you learn
  3. Imani Cross averaged 8.1 yards per carry and everyone thought I was crazy for saying he deserved the #2 spot touting the freshmen instead. Eat crow you bizzles.
  4. Bo Pelini isn't stupid...he knows what needs to be fixed...he's known for 3 years now. The kids aren't getting it. He has to figure out why they're not.
  7. Our linebackers sucked and are the reason we got torched on the ground...the line only had 4 people on it with our best guys getting double teamed...backers need to plug those holes and they were nonexistent.
  8. We need to teach people to FINISH...on both sides of the ball. I saw people loafing on plays left and right both on offense and defense. That crap is unacceptable in high school football let alone college.
  9. I know Bo Pelini gets it because he's coached defenses that have ranked in the top 5 in the nation numerous times (including here)...He needs to find out how to get his kids to execute on the field.
  11. There's not much difference between a 250 lb lineman and a 300 lb one...Wyoming's offense proved that
  12. The defense can be fixed...but it will take a team effort and a major effort on the coaches

It honestly wasn't as bad as many are making it out to be. The DBs weren't terribly out of position most of the night; Smith was just putting the ball exactly where it needed to be. The best DBs in the world can't defend that kind of accuracy, especially when he's scrambling out of the pocket. I'm not saying they played great, but based on positioning alone (and not results), they looked much better then in the past.

For what it's worth, I played Safety in college (though it was admittedly only D3), so I do know a bit about coverage.

Aren't items 2-12 just more evidence of what you complained about in number 1? I guess everyone is an armchair quarterback to some degree.

• Fire 1

Aren't items 2-12 just more evidence of what you complained about in number 1? I guess everyone is an armchair quarterback to some degree.

Everyone has an opinion, which is great. Albeit, some opinions are more informed than others.

I didn't read all of these posts so if I say something that's already been said, I apologize.

I learned that.....Josh Mitchell shouldn't be on the field. He missed more tackles than I care to count. He made one good play all game. He even got knocked on his butt a couple times right at the LOS with just a slight shove. We have got to have better than this. Don't we?

#7 is wrong. How can 1 LB fill all the holes? Four linemen, 1 backer, and 6 db's for almost the entire game. If you are gonna armchair QB, at least get your facts straight. Sheesh....

• Fire 1

As good as Kenny Bell was last year, there was actually room for improvement. The dude was everywhere on the field for us tonight.

Randy Gregory lives up to the hype.

Terrell Newby exceeds the hype.

Don't mix bourbon, beer and red wine. (I thought I had learned that in college.) :lol:

• Fire 2

A) Beck trying to run a "sped" up offense needs to slow down.

B) Apparently it's almost physically impossible for Pap to send more than 4 guys

C) For the first two quarters, it was almost physically impossible for Beck to run guys up the gut

D) We are continuing the trend of not being a "1st Half" team

E) Whenever Smith handed the ball off, our LB's disappeared

F) The RB's were the best performers for the game

G) Beck needs to realize that throwing the ball is not wise when trying to kill the clock and preserve the lead

H) We are spending a helluva lot more on football than WY and getting way less in return.

I) Pelini nearing hotseat

Defense needs to learn how to hold their own...fast.

Don't hold your breath. This is not Blackshirt worthy defense--not even close. 603 yds for freaking WY, c'mon! Once again, we made another "B League" QB look like a world beater--how many times have we seen this movie?. And maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see them getting a whole lot better--the secondary play was the most disconcerting, I mean, I expected the DL to more or less suck and they didn't disappoint in that respect--the DL got owned. But the secondary was supposed to be the strength of the D, yet they were porous("poor-us") as a sponge.

WY deserved the W just as much as we probably didn't. My cowboy hat off to them. Christiansen's O owns Bo's D, going back to '08 and Mizzou.

It's gonna be a tense year. I am having serious doubts about Bo at this time. I'm going to spend less time wasting time ruminating and commenting on msg boards about "Big Red". This is Bo Pelini, this is what you get--a buncha herky jerky crap and "we didn't execute", "we gotta fix us, duhuh" type smack.

We have enough of a sample size at present: 5+ yrs worth.

:hmmph:ahhhhhhhh:huh::angry::grr:dumdum:confucius:dunno:ohnoes:facepalm::violin