What we learned today...

walksalone

Can I just add something... Those refs were not the greatest.

They were Mountain West Conference refs.

What stunned me was the holding call against Wyoming on 4th & 1. They'd been holding all night - why call it then? Very weird.

Too bad we gave up the first down on 4th & 11. Could have been a slightly better finish to the game.

Offensively, I thought the team did very well. Defensively...... :bang

Beck needs to remember we don't need to throw the ball when leading the game...

I was happy about the lack of turnovers and also T-Mart playing pretty much mistake free football...

Aside from Beck going full Watson, the O did play pretty well. Some kinks to work out but overall I wasn't too disappointed

For the better part of the 3rd quarter, they were absolutely killing it, when they were running the ball, playing to the strengths of the team...

Didn't learn much from this game. Went a little worse than expected, but not much worse. Knew Wyoming would get YARDS passing. Rushing, surprised me, as I'm sure it surprised Bo and Pap. Adjusted well at half time. D-Line is young, I'm sure they learned a lot more than they would've in practice this game. Wyoming's game plan is essentially what Wisconsins gameplan was. Motion, run/pass balance. They had a great game plan. Still don't think Josh Mitchell is worthy of starting, but meh.

*This defense is already better than last years defense and most of them are freshman or sophomores. Always knew the first two weeks would be a learning experience for these guys.

*Newby needs to be on the field more. He is going to be a great one.

*The defensive play calling needs to be more diverse. I know they've been working with "odd" blitzes, but I don't think they showed any of them today.

*Need to get more emotionally involved offensively and defensively. I think we came out way too emotional and involved, and then we toned it down completely and played with hardly any emotion

*Taylor still forces stuff.

Not sure I agree with this...care to explain?

They pretty much took every little detail that we've struggled with over the last two years and put it into the same game plan. I'm absolutely stunned they didn't run a fake punt out of the rugby punt style. Given they don't have the athletes Wisconsin had, we did a much better job with our angles and tackled better (for the most part - still got burnt a couple times.) and we our speed somewhat showed. Players were still a little hesitant, but thats to be expected from their first game, especially with such youth and inexperience. Also, Randy Gregory hasn't played a football game in what, a year? Our defense also got a pretty decent push. I beg you to rewatch Vincent Valentine and Randy Gregory in the first half again. They were getting held left and right - and it was OBVIOUS. I was watching with my Oregon buddies and they thought the referring was pretty atrocious - and they all want Nebby to lose, out of spite, but yeah.

Learned;

1- Our defensive scheme and play calling has to change if we ever want to win more than 9 and prevent giving up embarrassing amounts of yards and points.

2- I could see flashes of improved athleticism....too bad Paps and Pelini keep em tied to the porch instead of letting them run with the big dogs.

3- Yes I realize Brett Smith is good and Wyoming is likely better than we expected.

4- The offensive game planning and play calling is also sub par. We made a good adjustment at halftime but returned to helter skelter throw sh#t at the wall play calling when we should have been imposing our will.

5- This offense has the potential to score extremely quickly and to be very special. See number 4 for why it may fall short.

6- We are well stocked at running back position. Newby is the real deal and will do special things for us.

7- Thought the O line was going to take over the game......they didn't. Can't figure it out.

8- We still looked slow on the D line but not as slow as last few years. I'm convinced it's scheme and not personnel.

Who knows, Wyoming could end up being the best team in the MWC. Even with the "bad" D we still had the game in hand until those 2 quick TD drives. Seems like in the 4th we got a little too lackadaisical and it bit us in the ass. Not saying the defense was doing good before then, but the DBs took a shot at both balls that were caught for TDs.

A lot of things went right for Wyoming, and they played with a lot of energy. The world isn't ending yet, but this team is on a short leash.

I was happy about the lack of turnovers and also T-Mart playing pretty much mistake free football...

Aside from Beck going full Watson, the O did play pretty well. Some kinks to work out but overall I wasn't too disappointed

For the better part of the 3rd quarter, they were absolutely killing it, when they were running the ball, playing to the strengths of the team...

Absolutely! I was hoping we'd keep running it all night. Keep running the ball until they stop it then switch it up. But Beck would go full Watson and change it up when Wyo couldn't stop the run. Frustrating to the say the least

Absolutely! I was hoping we'd keep running it all night. Keep running the ball until they stop it then switch it up. But Beck would go full Watson and change it up when Wyo couldn't stop the run. Frustrating to the say the least

That play action worked real well after about 10 straight run plays.

Didn't learn much from this game. Went a little worse than expected, but not much worse. Knew Wyoming would get YARDS passing. Rushing, surprised me, as I'm sure it surprised Bo and Pap. Adjusted well at half time. D-Line is young, I'm sure they learned a lot more than they would've in practice this game. Wyoming's game plan is essentially what Wisconsins gameplan was. Motion, run/pass balance. They had a great game plan. Still don't think Josh Mitchell is worthy of starting, but meh.

*This defense is already better than last years defense and most of them are freshman or sophomores. Always knew the first two weeks would be a learning experience for these guys.

*Newby needs to be on the field more. He is going to be a great one.

*The defensive play calling needs to be more diverse. I know they've been working with "odd" blitzes, but I don't think they showed any of them today.

*Need to get more emotionally involved offensively and defensively. I think we came out way too emotional and involved, and then we toned it down completely and played with hardly any emotion

*Taylor still forces stuff.

IMO it was much worse. We were a 28 point favorite. I did not expect to give up 600 yards. I expected less than 350. This game was a disaster.

What were you expecting from a defense that features 13 freshman/sophomores in the 2 deep? Some dominant performance from them? Most of them its their first time in a college football game. The expectations are unreasonable. The jump this D will make between now and B1G play is going to be tenfold of whatever jump we've seen in previous years - because those guys, in previous years, for the most part already had game experience and knew the system in and out. These guys don't. They're learning and adjusting to the speed still. That alone is a lot.

We weren't expect 2012+...it's pretty simple.

Already better than that defense. Also, once again, 13 freshman or sophomores in the 2 deep - with a VERY good QB on the other side, who (for the most part) most people thought would put over 20 points up on us. Do you think this defense is even CLOSE to being what it will be in B1G play? It is pretty unintelligent to think so, considering: first game for most of them, they are still learning the defense, and adjusting to the speed of the game.

EDIT - Thats not to say that this defense will be "great", just that they are already better than last year and they have significantly more potential due to the youth and inexperience and improved athleticism. I'd be pretty surprised if Gerry did that poorly again - and ZA and Afalava were missing.

Same, once they got the run game going, they weren't really doing much in the way of stopping us...

I think we're overthinking the offense, trying to run too many different plays from different formations... They were doing very well from one back/two TE or I back formations...