We need to stop handing out blackshirts at this point

I for one am also glad that this game ended the way it did. I don't want anyone thinking they are bullet proof. It also should be very motivational as well.

Problem with that is, we've had what? Six or seven of these "wake-up" games in the past couple of years? But the team doesn't seem to wake up. They let their foot off the gas pedal all the time. Did it last year, the year before, and they did it again this year.

I get what you're pushing EZ, that it wasn't as bad as it may have looked. But in some ways it was worse. We can't need any more wake-up calls. The fact that we still do is extremely troubling.

I'm looking for one of Bo's teams to play like Wyoming did last night. No fear, flying around, playing above their heads, exceeding expectations.

We see it all the time in our opponents.

We never seem to see it with Nebraska. Why is that?

to say that last night was perhaps motivational is suspect. I doubt it. I coached a kids team once that had 3-4 games in a row where they got scorched (not as bad, by any means as the Husker D giving up 1800 yards in 3 games! but still bad). And that team basically never recovered. They essentially played scared and knew that they were going to get blasted in the future... you could see it in their eyes. And it became a self fulfilling prophecy... as soon as the pressure was on a little momentum went the other way, they folded.

Those were 12 year olds and the guys at NU are 8 years older... but by now they must have really, really low confidence --- both in their coaches and in themselves. You do not get epically embarrassed in three straight games over two seasons and not walk away thinking... "man... we are going to get toasted again."

do not be surprised to see several defensive melt downs this season. That is typical for a unit that has been pistol-whipped this often by this much. The saving grace is this --- like Wyoming, most of our future opponents are not very good offensively. The easy schedule should help. Southern Miss is really weak. Next week should be a recovery week.

The no fear, flying around part is just non existent. You know how many times I saw guys quit before the whistle? Ridiculous. How many times there was an opportunity to hit someone or gang tackle and instead guys pull up. I saw a player turn his back to a play and walk away before the guy with the ball was even tackled and this player was five yards from the ball carrier. sh#t like that is just unheard of. I know the problem too. These kids are practicing soft. Too many shorts and no pads days. Too much time watching film. Get the fuxk out there and hit someone for Christs sake. Its football!

• Fire 1
To a degree I think Bo's asked for it by changing the perception of the Blackshirt, from practice jerseys for the starting D, to a trophy of success. This really opens up to every performance that isn't utterly elite being held up to the question of, "Why are they handed out?"

But I don't know, this whole topic doesn't seem to be that relevant or meaningful to any woes we might be experiencing. To say the least :lol:

So what do u do when you dont have clear starters? Bo is trying to create competition and it doesnt work when you give everyone competing a blackshirt

to say that last night was perhaps motivational is suspect. I doubt it. I coached a kids team once that had 3-4 games in a row where they got scorched (not as bad, by any means as the Husker D giving up 1800 yards in 3 games! but still bad). And that team basically never recovered. They essentially played scared and knew that they were going to get blasted in the future... you could see it in their eyes. And it became a self fulfilling prophecy... as soon as the pressure was on a little momentum went the other way, they folded.

Those were 12 year olds and the guys at NU are 8 years older... but by now they must have really, really low confidence --- both in their coaches and in themselves. You do not get epically embarrassed in three straight games over two seasons and not walk away thinking... "man... we are going to get toasted again."

do not be surprised to see several defensive melt downs this season. That is typical for a unit that has been pistol-whipped this often by this much. The saving grace is this --- like Wyoming, most of our future opponents are not very good offensively. The easy schedule should help. Southern Miss is really weak. Next week should be a recovery week.

I hope so. Southern Miss put up 377 passing yards on Texas State, they just couldn't run the ball and turned it over 6 times. We'd probably lose to Texas State if we turned the ball over 6 times.

I for one am also glad that this game ended the way it did. I don't want anyone thinking they are bullet proof. It also should be very motivational as well.

Problem with that is, we've had what? Six or seven of these "wake-up" games in the past couple of years? But the team doesn't seem to wake up. They let their foot off the gas pedal all the time. Did it last year, the year before, and they did it again this year.

I get what you're pushing EZ, that it wasn't as bad as it may have looked. But in some ways it was worse. We can't need any more wake-up calls. The fact that we still do is extremely troubling.

I'm looking for one of Bo's teams to play like Wyoming did last night. No fear, flying around, playing above their heads, exceeding expectations.

We see it all the time in our opponents.

We never seem to see it with Nebraska. Why is that?

I need a ton more convincing that tOSU last year wasn't a wake up game. Especially after we rattled off 6 in a row.

I need a ton more convincing that tOSU last year wasn't a wake up game. Especially after we rattled off 6 in a row.

You're forgetting that we had the wake-up call the week before OSU against Wisconsin.

Or two games before that against UCLA.

But after the OSU game, we had double-digit deficits due to flat play/mistakes on both sides of the ball against:

Penn State

Michigan State

Northwestern

Then we had the Conference Championship Game.

Same thing with Texas in 2010 and Texas Tech in 2009.

In 2009 we lost to Iowa State the week after Texas Tech thanks to a ludicrous eight turnovers. If TT was the wake-up call, they must have hit the snooze button.

In 2010 we barely showed up against Washington. There were injuries, yes, but overall we didn't care to be there, and it showed.

You're forgetting that we had the wake-up call the week before OSU against Wisconsin.

Or two games before that against UCLA.

But after the OSU game, we had double-digit deficits due to flat play/mistakes on both sides of the ball against:

Penn State

Michigan State

Northwestern

Then we had the Conference Championship Game.

Same thing with Texas in 2010 and Texas Tech in 2009.

In 2009 we lost to Iowa State the week after Texas Tech thanks to a ludicrous eight turnovers. If TT was the wake-up call, they must have hit the snooze button.

In 2010 we barely showed up against Washington. There were injuries, yes, but overall we didn't care to be there, and it showed.

Knapp,

Ill give you the ISU game in '09.

In '10 we lose to UT and then we go on the road and beat a very good offensive team in Okie State and then we turn around and beat a top 10 opponent in Mizzou at our place the next week. You would really need to convince me as a lot of other people that you can even count aTm as a game that year we didn't show up for. OU just beat us that year as did UW. Fine.

We beat Wisconsin. Also, UCLA did in no way kill us as I think they beat us by a score?

tOSU spanked us up and down the field and it was at that point that Bo didnt even let the coaches that whole week go on the road recruiting as he said he needed them all there to fix us. We then rattled off 6 straight in impressive fashion. Impressive in the sense that the team could have easily given up and packed it in for the night, but they didn't and won those football games.

My question is this Knapp as you tried to use wins to leverage your point against mine; What more do you want than to win the football game?

Except, you know, for most of these guys this was their first "embarrassment." That's conveniently forgotten.

The no fear, flying around part is just non existent. You know how many times I saw guys quit before the whistle? Ridiculous. How many times there was an opportunity to hit someone or gang tackle and instead guys pull up. I saw a player turn his back to a play and walk away before the guy with the ball was even tackled and this player was five yards from the ball carrier. sh#t like that is just unheard of. I know the problem too. These kids are practicing soft. Too many shorts and no pads days. Too much time watching film. Get the fuxk out there and hit someone for Christs sake. Its football!

Hit someone...and get ejected.

Football is not the game it was 10-15 years ago.

The bolded part is more than likely not the only part of the problem.

EZE- I also saw some good things. I really liked what I saw from our young guys and SJB had a helluva game. I also agree that we became unfocused and that led to the score being too close for comfort. But there were numerous times where we did not blitz and still had no LBs in sight. I felt like things went better when we did blitz. Watch again and tell me how many times we got gashed while blitzing. The problem I saw was our LBs following motion, Smith having all day, and then either beating us with his arm or feet or both. It was Wyoming for christsake.

Knapp,

Ill give you the ISU game in '09.

In '10 we lose to UT and then we go on the road and beat a very good offensive team in Okie State and then we turn around and beat a top 10 opponent in Mizzou at our place the next week. You would really need to convince me as a lot of other people that you can even count aTm as a game that year we didn't show up for. OU just beat us that year as did UW. Fine.

We beat Wisconsin. Also, UCLA did in no way kill us as I think they beat us by a score?

tOSU spanked us up and down the field and it was at that point that Bo didnt even let the coaches that whole week go on the road recruiting as he said he needed them all there to fix us. We then rattled off 6 straight in impressive fashion. Impressive in the sense that the team could have easily given up and packed it in for the night, but they didn't and won those football games.

My question is this Knapp as you tried to use wins to leverage your point against mine; What more do you want than to win the football game?

I'm not going to go too far down the moving goalposts road. You said this was a wake-up call. This team has had umpteen wake-up calls in the past four years, and they're still sleepwalking through parts of games.

I'll give you the answer to the "what more do you want than to win the football game" question even though that's not your original point. The answer is simple - I want Husker football. Not running around out there with no clue, not getting gashed over and over and over by simple plays, year after year after year after year.

You can't tell us that Wyoming is a wake-up call this year because they earned 600 yards on offense, yet at the same time say UCLA last year wasn't a wake-up call. We won one of those games and lost the other. I'd think a loss is way more of a wake-up call than a win.

• Fire 2

Except, you know, for most of these guys this was their first "embarrassment." That's conveniently forgotten.

This. I'm sick of hearing about how "this team" gave up 4 600 yard games in the last year, and 3 in a row.

Most of this defense played in its first college game.