We need to stop handing out blackshirts at this point

David Santos got killed all night on crossing routes. Bando looked better and Gerry made some plays.

The D-Line looked young, gaping holes in the running game. They looked like lineman though, not like too skinny Stienkeuler, not like too small Merideth. RG44 looked good.

I believe the D-Line will get better, I am worried about the LB's although we didn't see much of them with so much dime.

I do wonder if college football has caught up with Bo's system. I question whether a MLB can cover a RB on a crossing route, which Bo requires his MLB too do in his man 2 man system. In 2009 Phillip Dillard succeeded as an average MLB because nobody had figured out Bo's system, I remember OU running the RB flare over and over and an average MLB can stop that. After that Lavonte David came onto the scene, an above average MLB. This may be the key to Bo's D and I wonder if that MLB is at NU.

I thought Bo runs a "Matchup zone" coverage scheme that is supposed to look like a zone presnap but has man coverage principles. Seems complicated to me, i wonder if that's what causes so many breakdowns over the last four years on our D

Not only that- he incorporates pattern reading based on the drop of the Quarterback, so there are a lot of if/then things the DBs have to go through. Most people don't have a clue how complex our defense is- no clue

Only one tackle for loss and not a single sack according to game stats. Simply terrible

Randy Gregory would have had the only sack, if not for the horse collar penalty. Which was the right call.

By definition of the rule, it was not in the slightest a horse collar. Not a clue what you saw or were looking at. They didn't even call it that either. They called roughing the passer.

The real problem we have no one capable of handing them out. You have to know defense to grade it. 4 games of over 600 yards is beyond belief for Nebraska. Black shirts should be packed away and forgotten about until we actually have a coach that knows what they are and players that play like they deserve them.

Pelini should know better, of all people...looked like last year all over again.

If you don't understand the tradition of the blackshirts, fine, but please don't comment on something you have no idea what it means. Some of you act like handing out the shirts means we will have a top tier defense. That isn't how it works. If you're complaining about Bo handing them out before the first game to a unit that gave up 600+ yards, you don't f'ing get it.

Blackshirts are for our defensive starters, the best we have to put on the field. It has absolutely nothing to do with performing at an elite level commensurate with our great defenses of the past. If you think we had smothering dominate defense every season in the 70's and 80's, you don't know sh#t.

Blame the root problem, not the background tradition that hasn't been viewed or managed properly during Bo's tenure. The problem is a scheme and game plan that attempts to contain and limit rather than being aggressive and dominating. It's so f'ing simple yet way too many here struggle with it. Sharpen up people.

• Fire 2
If you don't understand the tradition of the blackshirts, fine, but please don't comment on something you have no idea what it means. Some of you act like handing out the shirts means we will have a top tier defense. That isn't how it works. If you're complaining about Bo handing them out before the first game to a unit that gave up 600+ yards, you don't f'ing get it.

Blackshirts are for our defensive starters, the best we have to put on the field. It has absolutely nothing to do with performing at an elite level commensurate with our great defenses of the past. If you think we had smothering dominate defense every season in the 70's and 80's, you don't know sh#t.

Blame the root problem, not the background tradition that hasn't been viewed or managed properly during Bo's tenure. The problem is a scheme and game plan that attempts to contain and limit rather than being aggressive and dominating. It's so f'ing simple yet way too many here struggle with it. Sharpen up people.

Are you recommending that we be more aggressive with our inexperienced ( to this point ) defense???

In the case of last nights game, yes I am. Wyoming had the type of offense and quarterback ability that has given Bo's defense fits the last two seasons. So yes, I am suggesting that they do something different when they have to face that type of a challenge. Personally I think turning the D line loose and bringing more blitzs would've made a world of difference. Surely it couldn't have been any worse. 600+ yards and 34 points to Wyoming? And yes, they were good and played one hell of a game but I'm not satisfied only beating teams that roll over and play dead.