Post Game Wyoming Tweets

Nobody

The scheme is still at fault, though. Gregory should be unleashed to attack the QB or ball-carrier the majority of plays, but only got the green light to rush on obvious passing plays. On most other plays he was playing patty-cake, too.

He may not have rushed on some disguised blitz packages, but I am very confident Pelini and Pap will use him well. I think McMullen gives us better athleticism (and effort) on the other side than Ankrah. We shall see.....

This makes it so difficult to tell how much lack of talent or lack of experience plays into the failures on defense. Fact is, obviously lack of experience is always going to hurt you. But how much? 600 yards by Wyoming offense? That much? I think there was enough talent on that field to overcome almost anything Wyoming threw at us. Theres some damn food football players out there on that defense, no doubt about it. I just think they are being mismanaged and under utilized period.

Ankrah had a fine game, actually. Not sure what you're talking about TheSker - maybe you're seeing things I'm missing. I thought Ankrah got good pressure on Smith, Smith was just able to run from that pressure. He played a hell of a game.

You will find a Pelini quote that references the pressure we got on Smith.....and Pelini said we have to get the quarterback on the ground. Feel free to keep an eye on the snap count from that DE position and if I'm wrong I have no problem eating crow.

That doesn't mean Ankrah had a worse game than anyone else. Singling him out would be cool if you could show what Ankrah did wrong. He played the kind of defense Bo has played here the last three years. That's not Ankrah's fault, that's scheme.

I'm fine if you want to call it scheme.....but it's the same reason Randy Gregory fits the "scheme" better than Cameron Meredith did.

The scheme is still at fault, though. Gregory should be unleashed to attack the QB or ball-carrier the majority of plays, but only got the green light to rush on obvious passing plays. On most other plays he was playing patty-cake, too.

It's the same problem we had with Eric Martin. Martin could slice through most OTs and get into the backfield on most every play, but that's not what he was allowed to do. He had to create the containment pocket with the rest of the line most of the time, and that simply doesn't play to his strength.

High-motor guys need to be allowed to break into the backfield as often as practicable or we're not going to get high-motor guys willing to come here.

I want you to go watch Eric Martin specifically in the play that Dennard Robinson got hurt.

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip45m

Pelini didn't get explanation from refs on Gregory roughing-passer call. "I tried. Very calmly. You gotta give me credit on that."

Hail Varsity@HailVarsity48m

Pelini said he didn't get an explanation on Gregory's sack that was flagged for unnecessary roughness, despite asking for one "very calmly."

That is because there was no roughing the passer.It was a shi**y call. I was not calm.

Martin went inside the tackle in an attempt to sack Robinson and Robinson scampered around him. So what? This means you never bring the heat in these opposing QB's? That means you never send guys through gaps?

I don't understand this thinking that we are going to get the perfect defensive call every time? As much pressure as is on us to make the right call, the same pressure or more is supposed to be on them to make the right decisions.

Your not going to get it right every time but if you don't at least pressure them, at least try to get in that opposing qb's head then you will never create any mistakes. They will dink and dunk the whole way down the field. They will average six yards a play and they will eventually score. The good ones will do it all game long on your ass unless you make them force a few. Make them have to make those decisions a bit faster.

I'm not saying you do it all the time but you sure as hell do it a f#*k of a lot more than Nebraska is right now.

Don't you ever find it funny that these same teams bring seven or eight guys on Martinez almost every single snap? Doesn't that make you think? It should make you think, especially when you consider that Taylor is one of the top dual threat Qb's in the country!

• Fire 1

Gregory/Valentine/Curry/moss or mcmullen.. lets see it.

I agree with your point....but check your depth chart. Moss and Gregory play the same spot. McMullen backs up Ankrah.....but I won't be surprised to see McMullen with the higher snap count.

I am very aware of the depth chart. Thats why it said Moss or McMullen... I'm sure they'd be willing to make Moss or RG adjust if Ankrah truly wasn't up to par at his position. He is fine though.

Ankrah had a fine game, actually. Not sure what you're talking about TheSker - maybe you're seeing things I'm missing. I thought Ankrah got good pressure on Smith, Smith was just able to run from that pressure. He played a hell of a game.

Something I'm getting really tired of is watching our D Line play patty-cake with the O Line. They don't even try to get separation, they "remain gap sound" to the detriment of disrupting the offense. At the snap, the D Line stands up and engages the O Line. The O Line mostly doesn't have to look for someone to block - the defenders get on the blockers right away.

It's weird. It's a very passive method of playing D Line, especially D Tackle, and that's gotta be one of the main reasons top-quality DTs didn't flood into Nebraska after watching what Suh did here. I have been astounded that we haven't landed the biggest names at DT after Suh, but the reality is that few guys want to play this kind of defense.

This. +1 I don't like the read and react crap we do with our DT's.

I agree with your point....but check your depth chart. Moss and Gregory play the same spot. McMullen backs up Ankrah.....but I won't be surprised to see McMullen with the higher snap count.

I am very aware of the depth chart. Thats why it said Moss or McMullen... I'm sure they'd be willing to make Moss or RG adjust if Ankrah truly wasn't up to par at his position. He is fine though.

It would be Ankrah or McMullen, and I think McMullen's snap count will increase.

Martin went inside the tackle in an attempt to sack Robinson and Robinson scampered around him. So what? This means you never bring the heat in these opposing QB's? That means you never send guys through gaps?

I don't understand this thinking that we are going to get the perfect defensive call every time? As much pressure as is on us to make the right call, the same pressure or more is supposed to be on them to make the right decisions.

Your not going to get it right every time but if you don't at least pressure them, at least try to get in that opposing qb's head then you will never create any mistakes. They will dink and dunk the whole way down the field. They will average six yards a play and they will eventually score. The good ones will do it all game long on your ass unless you make them force a few. Make them have to make those decisions a bit faster.

I'm not saying you do it all the time but you sure as hell do it a f#*k of a lot more than Nebraska is right now.

Don't you ever find it funny that these same teams bring seven or eight guys on Martinez almost every single snap? Doesn't that make you think? It should make you think, especially when you consider that Taylor is one of the top dual threat Qb's in the country!

So you got the point I was making. It isn't that you never ever pressure the QB, but its how you do it. Plays like that when it isn't done properly, will cost you especially against QBs like Hundley, Gardner, and a kid like Smith even.

Next, you say people bring a lot of pressure in TMart. Okay, but you do know what type of numbers he's put up right?????

So you got the point I was making. It isn't that you never ever pressure the QB, but its how you do it. Plays like that when it isn't done properly, will cost you especially against QBs like Hundley, Gardner, and a kid like Smith even.

Next, you say people bring a lot of pressure in TMart. Okay, but you do know what type of numbers he's put up right?????

Numbers. Yes some would say its remarkable the amount of fumbles and interceptions Taylor has had.

Now imagine if Taylor erased those, but then our defense even forced half those same mistakes by opposing QBs. How remarkable!

Numbers. Yes some would say its remarkable the amount of fumbles and interceptions Taylor has had.

Now imagine if Taylor erased those, but then our defense even forced half those same mistakes by opposing QBs. How remarkable!

Are you telling me every single turnover from him has been because he is pressured?????

It would be Ankrah or McMullen, and I think McMullen's snap count will increase.

*sigh* if Ankrah got seriously injured OR was god awful, they would move one of them to that side (RG or Moss) to play with McMullen. That would leave the depth chart at Gregory/Vestal on one side and McMullen/Moss on the other, for instance. Yes, I think McMullens snaps will probably increase. He played pretty well, but Ankrah wasn't awful. He wasn't a world beater, thats for sure.