2-gapping preventing QB pressure?

Hi all, one of my first posts on the board...been struggling with how bad our D is playin again. I ain't an expert D-coaching mind, but from my understanding of a 2-gapping scheme, the D-linemen have to maintain discipline against two gaps, then after that's done, rush the passer. I think most 2-gapping teams actually run a 3-4 front with big-bodied lineman who don't have the pressure of trying to get to the QB, with fast aggressive pass-rushing QBs. The problem with Bo's scheme is that it's probably really really hard to control both your gaps and then have the strength to throw off your one (or two) blocking OLs, who have latched on to you good during the time it took you to maintain run gap control and figure out that it wasn't a running play....The teams that run a 1-gapping 4-3 scheme have the luxury of having their front D-lineman run like a charging stallion to whatever is in that gap whether it's a RB or QB. My guess is that's why we see talented, athletic D-line recruits come to NU and turn into slow nonfactors----like Avery Moss, Jason Ankrah, Cam Meredith last year, Tobi Okayumi (sp?), Walker Ashburn, etc. Seems to me that this kinda system only works when Bo gets a once in a generation kind of talent in the D-line like Suh or Glenn Dorsey. Also, Bo's scheme seems to feature LBs the most, but our LBs are hardly the strength of this defense!! What are ur thooughts?

• Fire 2

I won't pretend I know more about defense than Pelini, but results speak for themselves. Since one of the greatest defensive tackles in college football history left the program, Nebraska has slowly and painfully grown worse and worse at stopping the run and getting QB pressure. Either it's a severe lack in talent or a severe lack in coaching. I have a tough time believing it's the coaching, but in the same breath, why can't any of our players (be it older and experienced or young and talented) make a play consistently?

• Fire 3

I've been saying all of this for years now..............

And yes I want a f'ing cookie, because I've been right about the two gap and the entire scheme for a long time. I hope we figure even some minor changes in by the time UCLA comes calling. Not sure why I would expect it though, Bo has proven to be a stubborn f#*k and he doesn't think any of the problems are in his end. Like he says, the coaches are putting the players in position, it's the players fault for not executing.

• Fire 1

Exactly one defensive lineman has excelled in Pelini's scheme since taking over at Nebraska. One. One of the most freakishly dominant athletes the game has known.

So, as long as we have about 4 of those athletes on our team at any one time, I think we'll see this scheme work out just fine. :sarcasm

Bo has had 3 monsters to disrupt the QB, Demorrio Wiliams, Dorsey at LSU, and Ndymykin Suh. Without a pass rush on every day, the 2 gap may as well be scraped. Bo is too invested in this scheme to see its short coming and too invested in what a great coach he is. Every time Bo plays an above average coach, he has been whupped.Remember Callahan was invested in his offense to extent he didn't see a need for a defense.

It's nice to see new topics.

I think I said last night, when you build up the hype all off season then perform like that to open the year you can expect the same questions that have been asked for the last five years.

We got the win, but wow, who expected that. Nobody I talked to here did.

I did expect them to move the football. But it was a combination of:

1) Brett Smith making some very good throws that I didn't think he was capable of. Make no mistake, we got a good push up front, but even with guys in his face he was able to complete passes into tight windows.

2) Our inexperience. Anyone who has ever played a sport in college gets this. Your first game as a freshman is very stressful and you will be nervous. Add to that 92,000 people expecting a ton of freshman to shut an opponent out and you have a recipe for disaster.

Look I am not saying we are ready by any means to play for a Natty or even conference play. There is a lot of room for growth. But I do see us being a lot better in the coming weeks. I would have rather had a game where our freshman get humbled and they realize what it takes to win at this level, than beating a team 50-0. Our young guys are going to learn a ton from this film during the week. Had we smashed them 47-0 we would have learned nothing.

• Fire 3

It's nice to see new topics.

I think I said last night, when you build up the hype all off season then perform like that to open the year you can expect the same questions that have been asked for the last five years.

We got the win, but wow, who expected that. Nobody I talked to here did.

I did expect them to move the football. But it was a combination of:

1) Brett Smith making some very good throws that I didn't think he was capable of. Make no mistake, we got a good push up front, but even with guys in his face he was able to complete passes into tight windows.

2) Our inexperience. Anyone who has ever played a sport in college gets this. Your first game as a freshman is very stressful and you will be nervous. Add to that 92,000 people expecting a ton of freshman to shut an opponent out and you have a recipe for disaster.

Look I am not saying we are ready by any means to play for a Natty or even conference play. There is a lot of room for growth. But I do see us being a lot better in the coming weeks. I would have rather had a game where our freshman get humbled and they realize what it takes to win at this level, than beating a team 50-0. Our young guys are going to learn a ton from this film during the week. Had we smashed them 47-0 we would have learned nothing.

Why do we seem to forget that Wyoming also had new starters and had to play on the road in front of 92,000 people? It was an even playing field, both teams had veteran quarterbacks and a lot of new starters. I don't want to use that as excuse as to why we beat a mid level MWC team at home by 3 points while surrendering 600 yards and over 30 first downs. It's becoming quite clear that the issues over the last couple of years are coaching issues, it's hard to debate that one now.