Give Wyo Some Credit

SkerMin8r

I haven't posted in a long while but just feel compelled to chime in today. While I'm disappointed with last night's outcome, with the exception of the win, I'm still mildly optimistic. Check back with me after the next couple of games on that.

That said...

I think we really have to give Christensen credit for keeping the defense guessing. Keep in mind, this is his first year calling the offense for the Cowboy's so I'm thinking that MAY have been a difficult scout.

Finally, Give Brett Smith ALL KINDS OF CRED! Kid is flat out a baller. Every damn time I thought we had him dead to rights that slippery MF would side step and make a GREAT throw on the move and he made some GREAT throws into double and even triple coverage. Kid was amazing last night. I won't be surprised to see him in the league a la Russel Wilson.

Good points. I think everybody here has acknowledged the Wyo QB as being a very solid athlete with pro upside. We also know that Wyo has some pretty good receivers to, Heron pops to mind. I watched that kid in some different highlights leading up to the game and he can break some nice runs and is a deep threat too, although Wyo never really tried to throw the 50 yard plus bomb.

I also think it is fair that Nebraska fans are more than mildly concerned, however. It's not the pass yards that are bothersome. It was the run game, right up the middle. That is something I did not see on tape as being a strength for Wyo and it definitely showed up on Saturday in their favor. Also, there were times the defense was just flat out not ready for the next play. Wyo pushed the pace, but we are supposed to be young and athletic and that did not turn out in our favor.

Huskers have a lot to work on. Give Wyo credit, but understand, this defense was supposed to better right out of the block. It was not.

I give Wyoming all the credit. I think we all severely underestimated them.

Plus, there's no way with all the talent we have on that field, the experience of this staff, Bo Pelini being a defensive genius inhis sixth year as one of the highest paid coaches in college football that we would be fielding a team as sad as that one looked last night. No way! So conclusion........Wyoming must be one of the toughest teams on our schedule.

• Fire 1

The only credit I can give them is that they played far better than they should have, and that's mostly on Nebraska. Freshman running backs that had no business gashing NU gashed NU. A good QB - not a great one - a good QB had a far better game than he should have. It's just the same problems, different year for Nebraska.

I typically reserve too harsh or over-reactionary judgement in these kinds of situations, but I have every little faith that Nebraska is going to have any semblance of a defense this year. They made Wyoming look far better than they are. This was a 4-8 team last year that was starting something like seven people whom had never played a D1 snap. Chalk it up to whatever reason, but the last three years have shown us one thing on defense. Regardless of experience on the defense, Nebraska can't stop the run.

Wyoming showed up to play, and you could tell they believed they could come away with a victory.

As discouraged as I was during the Spring Game (horrible defense again), I interpreted Bo's uncharacteristic aura of optimism this fall as a reason to be hopeful that he was seeing something completely different in our closed fall practices. More promise or not, the fact is that we just surrendered another top-10 yardage game. :dunno

So, I didn't see a heck of a big difference in our defense (it had bright spots, but just overall I didn't see much different).

And our offense seemed to just be going through the motions, as if they watched all the same Fall Preview shows that crowned them the best offense in the Big Ten and "the only thing that can stop this offense is this offense." Seemed to be over-confident.

Those were simply my observations, obviously. Very subjective.

To sum: I give Wyoming a lot of credit -- they came to win, and they damn near pulled it off. I'm really hoping that they didn't get our A-game, though.

The Wyoming coaching staff had their team ready to win, not play, win. They should have won the game last night. They gave all they had every single play. I was not there, but I hope they received a standing ovation from out fans, they truly deserved it. Great play, great game plan, and a pretty good QB.

With that being said, the Wyoming game is behind me. Off to ride my bike and forget about this. Stay away from the board for the week I think. Afraid it is going to get ugly.

Great game Pokes, and in honesty I feel sorry for your loss. Glad Nebraska won the game, but deep down in our hearts we all know you guys won this game. Hopefully it opens up the eyes of our coaches and we learn from it and not blame the kids for the showing.

Good luck to you.

Here is what worries me...Smith said that he knew what we were gonna do based on how we lined up...he said he studied a ton of tape...tape that didnt include a bunch of these players so that puts it on the coaches of ours to disguise or adjust better than they are doing because if the offense knows what we are going to do as we are doing it no amount of new speed will be able to compensate

People keep mentioning their record last year, how many starters they brought back, blah blah blah. Watch the f'ing game again. That team we played last night was not a 4-8 team in their conference this season. Now, will they keep playing at that level all season? Who knows. But they brought it last night, and they will mop the floor with a lot of teams if they keep doing it all season. Stop bringing up last season, it doesn't mean sh#t...watch the game they just played against us.

That said, no team should put 600 yards down on us, or anything close to it. And that's an issue.

People keep mentioning their record last year, how many starters they brought back, blah blah blah. Watch the f'ing game again. That team we played last night was not a 4-8 team in their conference this season. Now, will they keep playing at that level all season? Who knows. But they brought it last night, and they will mop the floor with a lot of teams if they keep doing it all season. Stop bringing up last season, it doesn't mean sh#t...watch the game they just played against us.

That said, no team should put 600 yards down on us, or anything close to it. And that's an issue.

especially Wyoming...UCLA will destroy us....

I think the thing that is most troubling is the fact that they basically attacked us with the same type of plays everyone else has the past couple of years. It sometimes feels lilke prevent is our base defense. Someone mentioned that the plays were pretty much the same as what UCLA ran against us last year. I honestly feel like people have figured out to exploit some responsibilities in our defenses ruleset, it especially seems like it has to do with the LB's and running a slot or HB motion to the flat, or similarly the jet sweep/jet fake. Otherwise I do think there were things to like from what we saw on defense, but mostly that we did seem more athletic and some of the young players look like they might be pretty good, talent-wise I think the future is pretty bright on this defense. I just hope our coaches aren't chalking it up fully to players being young and making mistakes. That said I think if we don't throw that pick the game has a different feel and people are less upset.