Coaching Standards

I want to start by saying I am hopeful that Bo Pelini has a great season and is very successful at Nebraska. What I get annoyed of hearing, however, is that should Bo Pelini not work out that no coach would be interested in the position or that Bo Pelini is untouchable and can escape with another sub par year. Below is a link to when Osborne Fired Callahan. I am linking this as I believe Osborne lays out what the standards of Nebraska football are.

When Bo Pelini arrived he said something along the lines of "I have never coached a bad defense". Lets see how his defense stacks up.

(http://www.cornnatio...defense-edition)

Don't think it is that bad? Watch the wisconsin game highlights again.

Compare them to the texas tech highlights

Again, I am hopeful we see a quick turn around and I am not saying we fire a coach coming off a win. However, if Pelini gets the Axe this year, here are some reasons a coach may be interested in Nebraska(There is no place like Nebraska).

1. We are the 4th winningest football team.

2. We have some of the best football facilities in the nation.

3.We are in a historic and strong conference (even if the SEC is the king of football right now).

4. Our football coaches make a good amount of money and we have money to pay a football coach.

5. We have a schedule in the next few years that sets us up for success.

6. We have a strong offense and talent on our team where a coach doesn't have to start from scratch.

7. We have some of the best Fans in the country.

8. We have a strong walk on program.

9. You are no longer following a Hall of Famer (Osborne).

10. The Nebraska brand still resonates nationwide.

Finally, everyone acts like it is completely unprecedented for any team to fire a coach for few losses.

How about John Cooper (Ohio State)

how about Lloyd Carr

Frank Solich of course

Mark Richt has been on the hot seat.

My memory doesn't serve me well but my point is most teams with history and prestige also have high standards.

I really hope Bo Pelini turns this ship around. Right now I am not sure he will.

I want to start by saying I am hopeful that Bo Pelini has a great season and is very successful at Nebraska. What I get annoyed of hearing, however, is that should Bo Pelini not work out that no coach would be interested in the position or that Bo Pelini is untouchable and can escape with another sub par year. Below is a link to when Osborne Fired Callahan. I am linking this as I believe Osborne lays out what the standards of Nebraska football are.

When Bo Pelini arrived he said something along the lines of "I have never coached a bad defense". Lets see how his defense stacks up.

(http://www.cornnatio...defense-edition)

Don't think it is that bad? Watch the wisconsin game highlights again.

Compare them to the texas tech highlights

Again, I am hopeful we see a quick turn around and I am not saying we fire a coach coming off a win. However, if Pelini gets the Axe this year, here are some reasons a coach may be interested in Nebraska(There is no place like Nebraska).

1. We are the 4th winningest football team.

2. We have some of the best football facilities in the nation.

3.We are in a historic and strong conference (even if the SEC is the king of football right now).

4. Our football coaches make a good amount of money and we have money to pay a football coach.

5. We have a schedule in the next few years that sets us up for success.

6. We have a strong offense and talent on our team where a coach doesn't have to start from scratch.

7. We have some of the best Fans in the country.

8. We have a strong walk on program.

9. You are no longer following a Hall of Famer (Osborne).

10. The Nebraska brand still resonates nationwide.

Finally, everyone acts like it is completely unprecedented for any team to fire a coach for few losses.

How about John Cooper (Ohio State)

how about Lloyd Carr

Frank Solich of course

Mark Richt has been on the hot seat.

My memory doesn't serve me well but my point is most teams with history and prestige also have high standards.

I really hope Bo Pelini turns this ship around. Right now I am not sure he will.

Well, first....Pelini has already turned the ship around. Again, we are one of only 5 schools who has won at least 9 games each of the past 5 seasons. The good news for you is that if we were to fire Pelini, Houston Nutt has said he has wondered "what if?" he had boarded that plane......

Lloyd Carr retired. He was not fired, nor do I believe he was forced out.

What has changed since 2003 or 2007 to make the level of coaches who weren't interested in coming to Lincoln then be interested in coming now? Facilities have improved, but that's true at many schools. About the only thing of real significance is joining the Big 10, and I don't see that as a really big deal from a coaching standpoint.

Not saying to stick with Pelini no matter what, but it's not clear we can do better.

Personally, I feel that a lot(but not all) historically good teams were from programs that pioneered in weight training, conditioning, and nutrition. I also feel that some historically good teams were built from farm kids(Nebraska for instance) and low income areas/families where working hard was something you were taught at a young age. I remember reading something on Gale Sayers a long time ago that he basically grew up on the streets shooting birds for food. When he got into high school some local diner/restaurant had a deal where if you scored a touchdown for the varsity squad you got a free meal.

A little more on topic- I'm sure you've read/heard how firing a coach with 9+ wins can scare away other coaches from the job but think about this; this can hurt recruiting too. Recruits don't usually commit to a team. They commit to coaches. You see it all the time where a coach is fired/ moves to a better job and recruits follow. A recruit doesn't want to commit to a team without the knowledge if the coaching staff that recruited him will be fired after a 9+ win season.

Honestly, I dont think it scares away coaches from a job when a coach with 9 wins gets canned. It might have but I don't think it does anymore, but I do think there are drawbacks.

1. New coach would rather come in with the fanbase 100% behind him,that is tough to do when you fire a winning coach

2. New coach would rather have "going up" as a direction he can hit. Going from 3 wins to 6 is not hard...from 9 wins to 11, well that can be hard

Now, with money and contracts a good coach can come in, get a 5 year contract worth say, 13 million dollars and basically never worry again about anything.

I think we're 1 good defensive performance away from silencing most of these discussions.

This is probably going to be the most accurate post of the day. It's a great point.

I think the number is two. Shutting down So. Miss doesn't prove anything. If we can hold UCLA to 400 yards, then the sun comes out (unless the offense lays an egg).

I think we're 1 good defensive performance away from silencing most of these discussions.

This is probably going to be the most accurate post of the day. It's a great point.

I think the number is two. Shutting down So. Miss doesn't prove anything. If we can hold UCLA to 400 yards, then the sun comes out (unless the offense lays an egg).

Yeah, I wasn't really talking about next week. It'll have to happen against a good opponent, but usually it happens a couple times a year.

[quote name=MichiganDad3'

timestamp='1378143452' post='1206641]

If we can hold UCLA to 400 yards

I prefer scoreboard. I think seasons are still judged by W-L, not yardage gained and allowed.

I agree a wins a win, but wins will be hard to come by if you give up 600 + yds a game like the last 3!

[quote name=MichiganDad3'

timestamp='1378143452' post='1206641]

If we can hold UCLA to 400 yards

I prefer scoreboard. I think seasons are still judged by W-L, not yardage gained and allowed.

I agree a wins a win, but wins will be hard to come by if you give up 600 + yds a game like the last 3!

Yes, agreed. There are a few spots in that front 7 Pelini and Pap were looking at against Wyoming. Pelini has mentioned at least two spots he was not happy with where they are looking at the personnel.