The Foreman Report - Wyoming

Hoosker

Jay Foreman with a informative article on the game. I liked his thoughts on the defenders reacting to motion.

LINK

Final Thoughts

– The motion and single back running game off of it was just like UCLA did last year. The point of any motion is to see how the defense reacts, does the defender run with motion (man) or do they shift (zone). What that does is let the opponent know how they can attack the defense and it seemed Nebraska hadn't adjusted since last season. One solution would be to run with motion and play zone, it would help run fits and you would gain a player in the box and also help against crossing routes in which are a mismatch for linebackers against skill guys.

Randy Gregory showed flashes of being a good player. I think he realized he needs better conditioning and intensity in order to be great at NU. I think once he gets more reps I envision dividends coming from it

Terrell Newby looked as advertised, fast, quick, elusive. But the best back I saw was Imani Cross. Big Man can move and has improved his quickness. I look for him to be that closer in the 4th quarter unless Ameer Abdullah shows otherwise. Who is Nebraska's closer on offense? Imani Cross? If so does he deserve more carries?

– On defense I thought Nathan Gerry and Josh Banderas looked decent, but not outstanding. It was refreshing that they could come in and nothing changed. I did see a few plays were Banderas was more stout at the point of attack than Santos. But where are Zaire Anderson and Michael Rose?

– The offense was the same offense I saw last year. Chunk plays followed by crucial mistakes and lack of concentration. They did well on third down, which is good, but couldn't close the game out the last two possessions when you need a power running game or a go-to receiver. These two things will either make or break NU this season.

Jay Foreman with a informative article on the game. I liked his thoughts on the defenders reacting to motion.

LINK

Final Thoughts

– The motion and single back running game off of it was just like UCLA did last year. The point of any motion is to see how the defense reacts, does the defender run with motion (man) or do they shift (zone). What that does is let the opponent know how they can attack the defense and it seemed Nebraska hadn't adjusted since last season. One solution would be to run with motion and play zone, it would help run fits and you would gain a player in the box and also help against crossing routes in which are a mismatch for linebackers against skill guys.

I was telling my friends that I hoped we were going to do this. I do this a lot on NCAA 14--I send a player in motion and see what the defense does. If they follow, it's man coverage and you can attack your favorable match ups, if they don't it's zone. I really wanted us to follow the player and then drop into zone.

Maybe the simplicity Pelini said was there for game one made it too easy for Wyoming to move the ball; made the decisions Smith had to make at the line too easy to make. That's definitely an adjustment we should've made in the second half and an adjustment that we need to make for game two.

Good stuff. I agree that Cross looked the best of the backs, IMHO. For game one. AA appeared a little less decisive than last year and didn't appear as "nifty".

Agree about Gerry and Bando. More seasoning and I think they will be very good. Thought the same about Zaire. Why not bring in the "better" athletes in the dime and nickel to get the best on the field. Kind of like Hagg and the Peso.

• Fire 1

– The offense was the same offense I saw last year.

This was very disappointing to me. Before Saturday night, I was thinking this offense would be a juggernaut this season. I think a lot of people expected that.

I was thinking they would build on and improve upon what they were doing in the bowl game, but I was wrong. I hope they just had a "vanilla gameplan" and roll out a lot more stuff over the course of the season, but it seems like I'm hoping that every season, and every season it just isn't so.

However, on a good note,

But the best back I saw was Imani Cross. Big Man can move and has improved his quickness.

JQB7k.gif

My hope for Cross was he could come in and we'd see little drop off at the position. Not only was that the case, but from what I saw, if given the opportunity, I think he can make a strong case for being our best running back by the end of the year.

• Fire 1
The point of any motion is to see how the defense reacts, does the defender run with motion (man) or do they shift (zone). What that does is let the opponent know how they can attack the defense and it seemed Nebraska hadn't adjusted since last season.

You gotta think that we're saving our adjustments for UCLA and conf play. I'm guessing we thought we could beat Wyo without showing everything the Blackshirts can do. Let's hope that's the case.

OTOH, Booger Daniel said the exact same thing in 2008 when Mizzou beat us in Lincoln. I remember him saying he couldn't believe how predictable we were--that they knew what was coming on nearly every play based on our initial set and reaction to motion.

You gotta think that we're saving our adjustments for UCLA and conf play. I'm guessing we thought we could beat Wyo without showing everything the Blackshirts can do. Let's hope that's the case.

Pap talked about the in game adjustment issues. You should look up what he said.

I'd be interested to see that. Got a link?

Regardless of what he said, I'd guess we don't show all our schemes and adjustments against the Wyomings of the world. And save some back for bigger games and conf play.

• Fire 1

Pap talked about the in game adjustment issues. You should look up what he said.

Or you can save us all the headache of trying to find whichever post-game interview, statement, tweet or whatever you are referring to and just tell us (or share the link).

• Fire 1

Or you can save us all the headache of trying to find which the post-game interview, statement, tweet or whatever you are referring to and just tell us (or share the link).

John Papuchis.......

"The hardest thing when you have new guys isn't that you feel like they're going to make mistakes on things you practice," Papuchis said.

"It's making adjustments and handling them. It's an opening game, and anything (Wyoming) put in in the offseason, we're totally unaware of. A critical element is to make fast adjustments. We made the corrections. Getting them translated was a bit of a struggle."

[/left]

• Fire 1

We ran no misdirection. We ran very few play-action plays. We had no line stunts on defense. We played our base packages in both offense and defense the majority of the game.

Wyoming was selling out to stop the run, and pursued to the ball aggressively. We could easily have screwed with them by running some misdirection. A reverse would likely have gone the distance against them, with either Kenny or Jamal as the reverse man. Backside screen (does Beck know what a screen pass is?) would have been open. The tight end on a seam route would have been open. I don't think we targeted the TE more than once all night, did we?

Wyoming looked like they knew what we were running all night because we ran straight into the teeth of their defense. On those two late 4th quarter drives where we just needed to kill the clock, or score, look how many plays we ran between the tackles.

• Fire 2

Or you can save us all the headache of trying to find which the post-game interview, statement, tweet or whatever you are referring to and just tell us (or share the link).

John Papuchis.......

"The hardest thing when you have new guys isn't that you feel like they're going to make mistakes on things you practice," Papuchis said.

"It's making adjustments and handling them. It's an opening game, and anything (Wyoming) put in in the offseason, we're totally unaware of. A critical element is to make fast adjustments. We made the corrections. Getting them translated was a bit of a struggle."

Read more here: http://www.thenewstr...l#storylink=cpy

[/left]

+1 Thanks, man.

We ran no misdirection. We ran very few play-action plays. We had no line stunts on defense. We played our base packages in both offense and defense the majority of the game.

Wyoming was selling out to stop the run, and pursued to the ball aggressively. We could easily have screwed with them by running some misdirection. A reverse would likely have gone the distance against them, with either Kenny or Jamal as the reverse man. Backside screen (does Beck know what a screen pass is?) would have been open. The tight end on a seam route would have been open. I don't think we targeted the TE more than once all night, did we?

Wyoming looked like they knew what we were running all night because we ran straight into the teeth of their defense. On those two late 4th quarter drives where we just needed to kill the clock, or score, look how many plays we ran between the tackles.

If the coaches were trying not to show everything, I think that's just stupid. Maybe you don't show a handful of plays, but we didn't really look like we were trying out there. The offense seemed to get some giddy-up in the third quarter, but then lost interest again. Very disappointing.

Backside screen (does Beck know what a screen pass is?) would have been open. The tight end on a seam route would have been open.

Pelini said we should have went down field more. I think Husker Mike might disagree about our use of the screen pass. This is from his blog....."While the offense put up decent numbers, there certainly was the potential to do a heck of a lot more. Some of that apparently was by design; for some reason, Tim Beck called an awful lot of screen passes."

John Papuchis.......

Read more here: http://www.thenewstr...l#storylink=cpy

[/left]

+1 Thanks, man.

Sure thing. Our coaching staff knows what they are doing and knows what they are seeing from the opposing offense. We had a physical talent issue on the defensive side of the ball last season. Pelini and Pap are serious about correcting that and I think our recruiting efforts reflect their seriousness.....but youth will make for some struggles in these in-game adjustments.