A little food for thought about the direction of this program

Husker B

Sorry, I just posted a thread with this pic too. Didn't see this one. I love how the apologists are poo pooing the facts. They are satisfied with 9 wins and 4 asskickings. I, for one, am not. I'm not saying fire Bo, but I'm saying fire him if he doesn't change his approach and eliminate these embarrassments.

Yes, 'yards per play' is the crucial stat and should always be surrounded by banners and lots of flashy graphics because it means you're giving up an average of yards divided by the number of plays.....very critical!!

Yeah, it's probably not a stat of any significance. After all, we did win most of those games up there on that list.

Yes, 'yards per play' is the crucial stat and should always be surrounded by banners and lots of flashy graphics because it means you're giving up an average of yards divided by the number of plays.....very critical!!

Yeah, it's probably not a stat of any significance. After all, we did win most of those games up there on that list.

I count 3 that we won. Am I right?

I count 3 that we won. Am I right?

Ball State, La Tech, and Wyoming are the only one's I'm sure about off the top of my head. Again, that's Ball State, La Tech, and Wyoming.

Ah, and Okie State.

I'm not saying fire Bo, but I'm saying fire him if he doesn't change his approach and eliminate these embarrassments.

So you're not saying fire Bo, or you are saying fire Bo? What are you saying? You should probably also compare Pelini to Callahan and not Cosgrove......or compare Pap to Cosgrove.....since one is HC and the other is DC. That aside, while all this yardage stuff is fine to bring up, Pelini has made corrective steps that we could see against Wyoming. Pelini and staff have done a better job recruiting. One other thing with this Pelini and Cosgrove giving up a billion yards debate......let me know when Pelini has even one losing season (Cally/Cos had two) or if Pelini misses a bowl....such as Cally/Cos did.

Yes, 'yards per play' is the crucial stat and should always be surrounded by banners and lots of flashy graphics because it means you're giving up an average of yards divided by the number of plays.....very critical!! For instance, if you give up 80 yards on the first play, then your number of yards per play is 80 and that's very bad. Now if you give up 80 yards on 5 different plays but only 2 yards on the other 50 plays then that's....just a second while I get my shoes off.....500 yards and they scored 30 points (was playing a very poor kicking team that missed all the kicks) and that's 9.09 yards per play. Okay, then the next game you give up 6 yards in 100 plays and they score 470 points and you gave up 6 yards per play.....that's not as bad. :sarcasm

Really not sure what you are on about here. Yards per play is *the* simplest, most meaningful measure of efficacy.

Sorry, I just posted a thread with this pic too. Didn't see this one. I love how the apologists are poo pooing the facts. They are satisfied with 9 wins and 4 asskickings. I, for one, am not. I'm not saying fire Bo, but I'm saying fire him if he doesn't change his approach and eliminate these embarrassments.

frustrated.gif

Man do you ever stop gagging on him? If you think Pap is the man calling the plays, designing the scheme I have some ocean front property in Kansas that you really need to look at. Pap is the YesC

I understand about Pap. As far as your other point, I remember very well what it was like having Cally and Cos here. I remember losing records, missing a bowl and the stadium emptying at halftime when Okie Lite was destroying us. Yes, I'll take Pelini over that any day of the week and twice on Saturday. And despite the grumblings about the 600 flippin' yards, I saw talent on defense that Pelini has lacked bringing in until the last couple of seasons. So pardon me if I'm not that worried about where Pelini falls on some silly Cosgrove chart.

There really is not a lot of difference. Both are/were so stubborn/arrogant. Bo has some wins, but really any time we need a big win, we seldom get it. Defensively his record is worse than Cosgrove.

Clownahan split the fan base, Bo really is on his way to doing that. You can see it on this board. Many that have endorsed him without question, now are wondering if we are headed in the right direction. All on here love this program more than the average fan I think. This message board is quoted many times in the local papers and even on National TV.

We have endured three consecutive embarrassing losses/win. Nothing but negative on national TV. This affects the kids we recruit. They see it, they question, can this guy get me ready for the NFL? We need positives on the field.

Sometimes we are wrong, I supported Frank to the bitter end, and so did I with Clownahan. I am supporting Bo, but he has shortfalls that need to be addressed, and they should be by him.

I do not want Coach Pelini fired, I do not think this program can stand it. But for fans not to see there are problems, I just do not understand. I have heard the best defense we have ever had a couple of times. I truly bought in this year, and I am not saying that it can not turn into a good defense. If this happens against UCLA, there are going to be real problems for Bo.

• Fire 2

There really is not a lot of difference. Both are/were so stubborn/arrogant. Bo has some wins, but really any time we need a big win, we seldom get it. Defensively his record is worse than Cosgrove.

Clownahan split the fan base, Bo really is on his way to doing that. You can see it on this board. Many that have endorsed him without question, now are wondering if we are headed in the right direction. All on here love this program more than the average fan I think. This message board is quoted many times in the local papers and even on National TV.

We have endured three consecutive embarrassing losses/win. Nothing but negative on national TV. This affects the kids we recruit. They see it, they question, can this guy get me ready for the NFL? We need positives on the field.

Sometimes we are wrong, I supported Frank to the bitter end, and so did I with Clownahan. I am supporting Bo, but he has shortfalls that need to be addressed, and they should be by him.

I do not want Coach Pelini fired, I do not think this program can stand it. But for fans not to see there are problems, I just do not understand. I have heard the best defense we have ever had a couple of times. I truly bought in this year, and I am not saying that it can not turn into a good defense. If this happens against UCLA, there are going to be real problems for Bo.

I think perhaps Pelini's biggest shortfall has been recruiting. The staff has addressed that the past two years. I think evidence of that was on the field Saturday night. You say you support Pelini and don't want him fired because the program can't stand it......if you read your post again, your support for Pelini doesn't seem very firm. At least not to me. As far as this board being a representation, it's a fun board....but there are 14 posters on here right now.

Do not get me wrong, I have never liked Pelini. He is arrogant, stubborn and authoritative. Rude could be included.

I do not feel he is doing as good of a job as he could, or for that matter, that others could do better. But the mythical 9 game winning number does make sense to me. Although personally I am not that impressed with it. I felt last year we would lose a lot of games. It was very close to happening. This year I felt we had improved with talent, but still questioned why they were not getting their feet wet on the field. Major ERROR, and admitted (surprisingly to me) by Bo.

I want him to do well, really like how he has run the business side of the program. Not at all impressed since the Washington loss with on field coaching, motivation. Still questioning the recruiting, but from those more knowledgeable than me, sounds like we have improved.

I will still send the check, attend certain functions and talk with friends in a positive manner about him and the program.

But if we get curb stomped by UCLA, all bets are off for Bo I think. We do not have to win the game, but it can not become another game like Wisconsin, Ohio State, Georgia. UCLA has talent, far superior to what we faced Saturday, a NFL level QB, big strong Offensive linemen, that has Redshirt frosh and sophomores did their job last year. Keep it competitive and I can see we are improving. Get embarrassed at home on National TV will not go over well with the boosters nor our new AD is my guess.

• Fire 1

The only excuse I give Bo is that this is his first head coaching job. This is a HIGH profile situation to be thrown into. The transition has taken twice as long as it normally would for someone thrust into this situation but there was a conference jump. At first he was much more fiery towards the media and had a sinister demeanor on the sidelines. Now he answers the questions though it pains him and his sideline antics have decreased for the most part, more disbelief than rage at times. I want to support him to the end but yes, an embarrassing showing against the Bruins will not sit well with the higher ups. If he wins 10 games this year he will not get fired. If he wins 8 or less he will be officially on the hot seat. Should the bottom fall out and we have a losing season yes I believe a change will be made. John Papuchis IS to blame for the mass hysteria on defense. Bo has the final say but these are John's schemes and plans that aren't coming to fruition.