-*The "Compliments from Opposing Fans" Thread*-

Landlord

• 2 weeks later...

McNeese State - 9/6/14
Best fans we have ever played against. We Never have heard a negative comment the three days we have been here. Greeted with a good luck or have a safe trip home, where is mcneese, y'll should have won and etc. Total class fans from young kids, teenagers to people older than ME! Awesome fans.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there was no spitting, no cursing, nothing but respect and real knowledge of the game. Best fandom i have ever experienced. From the Dallas airport, to the hotel desk, to the cops; everyone welcomed us and wished us luck.
Fresno State - 9/13/14

Fresno State fan Bridgette Williams, 48, said she got a "wow factor" surprise when she walked into Dog House Grill on Friday. It costs a lot of money to travel -- especially in this economy, Williams said, "so to be able to sacrifice to support their team like this is awesome. I'm impressed -- even though we hope that we beat them down."
A.T. Greer, who works for Nebraska's alumni relations, said of the number of Huskers fans: "We get underestimated a lot."
Franco added, "Nebraska fans are the classiest fans in college football." Even in defeat, they applaud the winning team and do things like support the Team Jack Foundation to fund research for pediatric brain cancer, he said.
"It's not all about football for Nebraska fans. It's about life."
  • 2 weeks later...

Miami - 9/20/14

"I loved the experience of attending a game at Nebraska. At many stadiums, wearing Miami gear ensures that I'll be yelled at or mocked throughout gameday. This weekend, wearing orange or green was essentially an invite to every tailgate party in Lincoln. I was repeatedly asked if I was enjoying my time in Nebraska. Countless fans wished us good luck and thanked us for making the trip. Cities like Lincoln are what college football is all about. The atmosphere inside the stadium was terrific all night. While the Canes came up short, I'm very glad I had the opportunity to make the trip."

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2014/9/22/6827317/miami-nebraska-trip-recap-positives-and-negatives

• 1 month later...

Purdue - 11/1/2014

"Kudos to the Nebraska fan base.

We took a group of Boilers for the weekend to Lincoln. We had to alter our plans and even skip a prepaid Boiler event due to the overwhelming hospitality of Husker fans pointing out places of interest, bars, and inviting us to their tailgates. Lots of great food, beverages, games, etc.
We made some great new friends and would compete for one of the best road trip games attended in 20 years. I just hope other fans attending our games can say the same."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ditto. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met on a road trip to ANY school. Can't count how many people came up and said "good luck" or shook our hands. Took us in to their tailgate and treated us like kings. They may have just been surprised that we came all that way for a game. :) Great atmosphere for the game, too. Probably had the best seats I've ever had (row ten on the 27 yard line).
i would like to know what "Ruzo" (or was it Runzo?) is made of, though."

Purdue - 11/1/2014

We took a group of Boilers for the weekend to Lincoln. We had to alter our plans and even skip a prepaid Boiler event due to the overwhelming hospitality of Husker fans pointing out places of interest, bars, and inviting us to their tailgates. Lots of great food, beverages, games, etc.
We made some great new friends and would compete for one of the best road trip games attended in 20 years. I just hope other fans attending our games can say the same."
"Ditto. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met on a road trip to ANY school. Can't count how many people came up and said "good luck" or shook our hands. Took us in to their tailgate and treated us like kings. They may have just been surprised that we came all that way for a game. :) Great atmosphere for the game, too. Probably had the best seats I've ever had (row ten on the 27 yard line).

Getting off topic a little. I really love Runzas. I go to a Runza restaurant almost every time I head back to NE.

Purdue - 11/1/2014

Getting off topic a little. I really love Runzas. I go to a Runza restaurant almost every time I head back to NE.

If you love Runzas they're easy to make. The ones I make are better than the fast food chain's. Here's a basic recipe for them, which will essentially give you what you get in the restaurant:

http://thisfoodthing.com/index.php/2007/08/original-runza-recipe/

-------------------------------

It's always interesting to read the comments from opposing fans.

Purdue - 11/1/2014

If you love Runzas they're easy to make. The ones I make are better than the fast food chain's. Here's a basic recipe for them, which will essentially give you what you get in the restaurant:

Thanks. My wife makes them about once or twice a year at home too. I still like getting the original Runza once in a while. Nostalgia, I guess.

Purdue - 11/1/2014

Thanks. My wife makes them about once or twice a year at home too. I still like getting the original Runza once in a while. Nostalgia, I guess.

You can get them frozen from most restaurants as well. They have to sell them baked now but they reheat pretty well if you do it in the oven. I take several dozen when I go to visit friends in Seattle.

• 9 months later...
BYU - 9/5/2015

"The 200 dollars I paid for my ticket was well worth it and would have been even if we had lost. Nebraska has a fan in me anytime they play anyone other than us. THE NICEST opposing fans. Had similar experiences as Gurt. Nebraska fans saying "thanks for coming" and "good game" and just very genuine and complimentary.

Awesome stadium. Awesome atmosphere. Fun trip and worth the 13 hour drive from Utah. What a finish!"

"Well he is right about one thing... The Nebraska fans are awesome. They treated us like we were at home too. I lost count the number of times their fans would welcome us and say things like, "we are glad that you are here." What a nice bunch of folks. It may me forget all about that other team that also wears red, whats-their-names."
  • Fire 1

I like the spirit of this thread, thanks for doing it. I would like to compliment BYU's coaches players and fans for bringing a classy act to Lincoln and playing an exciting and clean game and you earned the win, make no mistake, though it could've gone either way. Probably the best game of opening weekend, IMO. Good luck with the rest of your season!

I posted a few legit questions on the Cougar board about LDS student athletes, congratulated them on the win, and expressed hopes their nose tackle would recover quickly. I"ve done pretty much the same on other boards after games. The response I got from the BYU fans on their board was excellent. They explained all of my questions, thanked me for showing an interests, expressed their hopes that we win out, and several said they'd heard how good our fans were, but now they were convinced. I was very impressed with the reception my post got on their board. Unlike, say, posting on Shaggy Bevo. I still lock my doors and keep a loaded AR15 at the ready based on their comments!!!

Edit 1: I don't really keep a loaded AR15 in my domicile. I even lock the firing pin in a different cabinet from the rifle itself.

Edit 2: Went to visit Shaggy Bevo this evening to enjoy a legitimate meltdown It is now ShaggyTexas as they are no longer allowed to the "Bevo" in their name! And the "Fire Shawn Watson" thread is 86 pages long!

Not really a personal story from a BYU fan, but as I was making my way out of the stands Saturday (dejectedly) I saw father and son BYU fans trying to take a selfie with their BYU flag. In a second the lady Husker fan behind them offered to take the picture of them holding their flag triumphantly in front of the field. It was pretty cool to see. I wanted to take a picture of it but didn't want to seem creepy :lol:

No doubt about it. I really like hearing these stories. We might talk a little smack, and have our fun, God knows we all love to win, but I'm glad people leave here feeling respectful of us. I think its something fans should take pride in. It should be a good experience. And yea, that's a tough way to lose a game, losing the streak sucks, but that's a hell of a way to win a game too. Lord knows we've experienced plenty of the upside of that.

To see that coming into Nebraska and pulling the upset is still a really huge deal, and to see that us fans still know how to treat people, well that makes me feel better about things.

Not to be sappy, I'm as hard-nosed SOB as you're gonna find here, but I like good people treating each other with class and respect.

but I like good people treating each other with class and respect.

Couldn't have said it better. No matter the outcome of the game, no matter who the opponent is...yes even if it's Texas...

In the end IT IS important that you treat someone with respect...IT DOES MATTER.

Stay classy Nebraska win or lose.