Rewatched Game- Defensive Thoughts

Warrior10

1. The windows Brett Smith put the ball into were just insane. He might be the most impressive QB we see this year. EDIT: Just saw a stat that in Smith's last 5 games he has an 17:1 TD/INT ratio....that's accuracy.

2. The last TD for Wyo should have not happened...Moss was bear hugged as he about got by this blocker and was about to get Smith. That was a terrible missed call.

3. Banderas was more aggressive than Santos.

4. There were times we had 5 of 6 guys in the box where guys were first time contributors.

5. Gerry is the athlete we thought he was. When he lets himself play he is relentless.

6. After game was not impressed with Ankrah....but he I take that back now, he played well.

7. Randle was equally disappointing 2nd time....just didn't see "it".

8. Our DE's really got in there, the problem was breaking down and not letting Smith sidestep them as they flew by.

9. Gregory is an athletic force, chasing down WR's 10-15 yards down field.

10. VV show he CAN be the DT we all have been looking for.

Seriously, the pocket presence that Smith showed was amazing. But even more amazing than that was the windows he put the ball in. There were multiple throws (5ish) that if it the ball is 1ft behind or short we are picking it off. And I promise that every QB we face won't be able to put the ball in places he did.

I feel cautiously optimistic after watching the game. The O put the D is some bad spots late in the game.

• Fire 2

1. Agree

2. Haven't rewatched the 4th yet.

3. Agree I liked what Banderas was doing.

4-6 agree

7. I think Randle's Knee is his problem and probably won't be the same.

8-10 I really liked what the D-Line was doing got great push and was in the backfield a lot. If they could just tackle a QB and not ,is when his takes a step.

8-10 I really liked what the D-Line was doing got great push and was in the backfield a lot. If they could just tackle a QB and not ,is when his takes a step.

Hard to tackle someone when your being shoved in the back while in that process. Just saying. We did have some poor tackling in the backfield, but I saw a number of times where Gregory and Ankrah were pushed when going for that tackle.

1. Agree

2. Haven't rewatched the 4th yet.

3. Agree I liked what Banderas was doing.

4-6 agree

7. I think Randle's Knee is his problem and probably won't be the same.

That's what I'm afraid of. Hopefully he will be a healthy body when we get to the BIG10 sched.

Had it recorded and watched it again as well. There does appear to be more talent this year on D. Also comes with inexperience and growing pains. I can live with that. The part I did not understand is the formation and strategy behind it. Lining up 4-2-5 with one of the two LB positions being a safety. It was Mo Siesay, then replaced by Gerry. This formation and strategy is more helpful with deep throws. It does nothing much to stop the running game or allow QB pressure. When WYO ran motion, a LB followed, leaving 4 lineman and one LB to cover runs between the tackles. The middle of the field is offered up. That's a lot of responsibility for those 5 guys. WYO either ran right up the middle for good yardage or threw the ball to the open space where the LB was run off. I just don't understand that philosophy.

1. The windows Brett Smith put the ball into were just insane. He might be the most impressive QB we see this year.

2. The last TD for Wyo should have not happened...Moss was bear hugged as he about got by this blocker and was about to get Smith. That was a terrible missed call.

3. Banderas was more aggressive than Santos.

4. There were times we had 5 of 6 guys in the box where guys were first time contributors.

5. Gerry is the athlete we thought he was. When he lets himself play he is relentless.

6. After game was not impressed with Ankrah....but he I take that back now, he played well.

7. Randle was equally disappointing 2nd time....just didn't see "it".

8. Our DE's really got in there, the problem was breaking down and not letting Smith sidestep them as they flew by.

9. Gregory is an athletic force, chasing down WR's 10-15 yards down field.

10. VV show he CAN be the DT we all have been looking for.

Seriously, the pocket presence that Smith showed was amazing. But even more amazing than that was the windows he put the ball in. There were multiple throws (5ish) that if it the ball is 1ft behind or short we are picking it off. And I promise that every QB we face won't be able to put the ball in places he did.

I feel cautiously optimistic after watching the game. The O put the D is some bad spots late in the game.

Agree one hundred percent with everything you said.

Especially number one. He didnt have an easy throw all night.

And let it be known I was one of the people who thought the sky was falling Saturday night....I encouraged everyone else who was just to watch and study the game.

LOL yeah I'll bet it was crazy. I thought it was a good exciting game to watch and was glad about the win. WYO played lights out and younger Huskers will have learned a lot from this type of game. It's almost a win-win.

Does anyone else think that Bando had just as good a game or even better game than Santos!?

It seems to me that Bando had a quick first step and was quite aggressive for much of the game. Santos looked a bit tentative...

I saw plenty of good things to like about Gerry as well as far as the LBs are concerned.

Does anyone else think that Bando had just as good a game or even better game than Santos!?

It seems to me that Bando had a quick first step and was quite aggressive for much of the game. Santos looked a bit tentative...

I saw plenty of good things to like about Gerry as well as far as the LBs are concerned.

Me. Looked like Santos was thinking too much...while Bando did that some, not nearly as much.

I thought Bando was the better LB. I am not sold yet though, its only week one. There is a reason we didn't RS him though, so lets see!