Rewatched Game- Defensive Thoughts

Warrior10

What is up with our punt return strategy? We don't even attempt to set up a return or go for the block. Just stand there and watch the punter while Wyoming's coverage team heads toward Turner unblocked, and he doesn't even attempt a fair catch - which I guess makes sense with 8 Wyoming guys in his face.

On defense I spent most of the time watching the line. There were times we did get a some pressure on Smith with 4, but I still think it's being way overstated. It seemed more often than not he had a clean pocket to sit in and go threw his progressions.

Imani Cross is so much more than just a short yardage back. Tremendous vision and balance, and some nice moves for a big guy - underrated quickness. He's an every down back right now.

Enunwa is my favorite WR on this team.

Martinez was efficient. And I watched the INT several times in slow motion to see why people were trying to blame the WR, but from the TV angle it seemed like it went right over his head and into the defenders lap.

Wyoming was punting rugby style which gives them time to get downfield and also makes the punt more dangerous to field. Our ability to get a defensive push on the line was much improved. Injuries and lack of depth were issues last season, and Stein was undersized. Our size and depth at DT is youthful, but it's got potential. Cross looked like our best back......he will get his carries this season. We have it very good with Bell and Enunwa. Bell can really stretch the field, and Enunwa has as good of hands as anyone.....apparently as does Westerkamp. Martinez called the INT a miscommunication.....receivers coach Rich Fisher said Burtch's route was good. It's on Martinez.

What is up with our punt return strategy? We don't even attempt to set up a return or go for the block. Just stand there and watch the punter while Wyoming's coverage team heads toward Turner unblocked, and he doesn't even attempt a fair catch - which I guess makes sense with 8 Wyoming guys in his face.

On defense I spent most of the time watching the line. There were times we did get a some pressure on Smith with 4, but I still think it's being way overstated. It seemed more often than not he had a clean pocket to sit in and go threw his progressions.

Imani Cross is so much more than just a short yardage back. Tremendous vision and balance, and some nice moves for a big guy - underrated quickness. He's an every down back right now.

Martinez was efficient. And I watched the INT several times in slow motion to see why people were trying to blame the WR, but from the TV angle it seemed like it went right over his head and into the defenders lap.

Wyoming was punting rugby style which gives them time to get downfield and also makes the punt more dangerous to field. Our ability to get a defensive push on the line was much improved. Injuries and lack of depth were an issue, and Stein was undersized. Our size and depth at DT is youthful, but it's got potential. Cross looked like our best back......he will get his carries this season. We have it very good with Bell and Enunwa. Bell can really stretch the field, and Enunwa has as good of hands as anyone.....apparently as does Westerkamp. Martinez called the INT a miscommunication.....receivers coach Rich Fisher said Burtch's route was good. It's on Martinez.

I'm still not seeing a big improvement with rushing 4, but a lot of people seem to see it so I'll take them at their word. Let's hope the perceived added pressure is making some sort of difference by the time UCLA comes to town.

If the INT was a miscommunication, and Burtch was supposed to go where the ball was thrown, it still would have been a matter of Martinez throwing into coverage. Either way, it seems like it's on him. But again, a lot of people are seeing something else, so I guess it's up for discussion.

1. The windows Brett Smith put the ball into were just insane. He might be the most impressive QB we see this year. EDIT: Just saw a stat that in Smith's last 5 games he has an 17:1 TD/INT ratio....that's accuracy.

2. The last TD for Wyo should have not happened...Moss was bear hugged as he about got by this blocker and was about to get Smith. That was a terrible missed call.

3. Banderas was more aggressive than Santos.

4. There were times we had 5 of 6 guys in the box where guys were first time contributors.

5. Gerry is the athlete we thought he was. When he lets himself play he is relentless.

6. After game was not impressed with Ankrah....but he I take that back now, he played well.

7. Randle was equally disappointing 2nd time....just didn't see "it".

8. Our DE's really got in there, the problem was breaking down and not letting Smith sidestep them as they flew by.

9. Gregory is an athletic force, chasing down WR's 10-15 yards down field.

10. VV show he CAN be the DT we all have been looking for.

Seriously, the pocket presence that Smith showed was amazing. But even more amazing than that was the windows he put the ball in. There were multiple throws (5ish) that if it the ball is 1ft behind or short we are picking it off. And I promise that every QB we face won't be able to put the ball in places he did.

I feel cautiously optimistic after watching the game. The O put the D is some bad spots late in the game.

11) any thoughts as to why they were getting like 8-9 yds a pop in the ground game? That worries me, alot.

I said he "CAN" be. Not that he is. He was taking on double teams and collapsing the pocket like we haven't seen in a while.

You mean to say... the sky isn't falling?

Boy, after the game the reactions I was getting from comments made it sound like we were going to be 1-11. :)

As far as Bando/Santos... I think Bando is slowly going to start seeing more 1st team reps in practice...

I dont think the sky is falling, but I think 8-4 is a real possiblity after what I saw Sat. night. Too much youth on the D. Going to be many nail biting games this year, like last year. I won't say 7-5, but yea, I'm thinking that too, dont tell anybody...

Wyoming was punting rugby style which gives them time to get downfield and also makes the punt more dangerous to field. Our ability to get a defensive push on the line was much improved. Injuries and lack of depth were an issue, and Stein was undersized. Our size and depth at DT is youthful, but it's got potential. Cross looked like our best back......he will get his carries this season. We have it very good with Bell and Enunwa. Bell can really stretch the field, and Enunwa has as good of hands as anyone.....apparently as does Westerkamp. Martinez called the INT a miscommunication.....receivers coach Rich Fisher said Burtch's route was good. It's on Martinez.

I'm still not seeing a big improvement with rushing 4, but a lot of people seem to see it so I'll take them at their word. Let's hope the perceived added pressure is making some sort of difference by the time UCLA comes to town.

If the INT was a miscommunication, and Burtch was supposed to go where the ball was thrown, it still would have been a matter of Martinez throwing into coverage. Either way, it seems like it's on him. But again, a lot of people are seeing something else, so I guess it's up for discussion.

Last season our undersized d-line would at times get blown off the LOS. Injuries and guys scooting over from DE just made it tough. We have some better size and depth now.....it's just young but looked pretty good for a first game. A lot of people who were seeing something else assumed Burtch ran a bad route and I think a couple of sportswriters wrote it was a bad route also. I'm going to assume Rich Fisher is the accurate one.

Last season our undersized d-line would at times get blown off the LOS. Injuries and guys scooting over from DE just made it tough. We have some better size and depth now.....it's just young but looked pretty good for a first game. A lot of people who were seeing something else assumed Burtch ran a bad route and I think a couple of sportswriters wrote it was a bad route also. I'm going to assume Rich Fisher is the accurate one.

I do agree with you assessment of the d-line. I'm just not sold it's translated into production yet. Does anyone have the numbers on the number of pressures the defensive line had on Smith? Does anyone keep track of that in college football?

1. The windows Brett Smith put the ball into were just insane. He might be the most impressive QB we see this year. EDIT: Just saw a stat that in Smith's last 5 games he has an 17:1 TD/INT ratio....that's accuracy.

2. The last TD for Wyo should have not happened...Moss was bear hugged as he about got by this blocker and was about to get Smith. That was a terrible missed call.

4. There were times we had 5 of 6 guys in the box where guys were first time contributors.

5. Gerry is the athlete we thought he was. When he lets himself play he is relentless.

6. After game was not impressed with Ankrah....but he I take that back now, he played well.

8. Our DE's really got in there, the problem was breaking down and not letting Smith sidestep them as they flew by.

Seriously, the pocket presence that Smith showed was amazing. But even more amazing than that was the windows he put the ball in. There were multiple throws (5ish) that if it the ball is 1ft behind or short we are picking it off. And I promise that every QB we face won't be able to put the ball in places he did.

I feel cautiously optimistic after watching the game. The O put the D is some bad spots late in the game.

11) any thoughts as to why they were getting like 8-9 yds a pop in the ground game? That worries me, alot.

I said he "CAN" be. Not that he is. He was taking on double teams and collapsing the pocket like we haven't seen in a while.

I was referrring to the D in general.

Smith would probably be getting a lot more credit if we hadn't been gashed repeatedly by so many offenses in the past year. Guy had a hell of a game, but for a fan base weary of such games, it's hard to be as magnanimous as we could be.

So much this^^^

It's pretty hard to blame people (myself included) for over reacting during and soon after the game was over. And it can never be totally out of line when an unranked team drops 600 yards on you. They definitely have some things to work on but this was not the same situation we have seen play out with Bo's teams the past two seasons. This one was different and also just happened to converge with the peak of Kool-Aid intake fresh out of fall camp. I plead insanity and confess an unhealthy desire to see my Huskers do well.

Nebraska did not plan on Wyoming running the ball as much as they did. Which nobody would if you have watched the Wyoming offense at all in the last couple years. You could see for much of the first quarter the defense was not respecting the run what so ever and Wyoming did a great job of getting matchups they wanted when they wanted to run the ball. It came down to Wyoming's gameplan more than Nebraska's ability to stop the run. In the second half they stuffed a lot more runs and only allowed minimal gains except maybe a couple plays.

Wyoming 6th Drive - 9:16 2nd Quarter - 6 plays - Punt

1&10, -33 - Corner Blitz - Evans (possibly Santos as well); 0 yd rush

3&4, -39 - Six man blitz out of 3-3 look - Seisay, Santos & Gregory; -1 yd pass, offsetting penalties

3&4, -39 - Corner Blitz - Evans; Incomplete pass

So Mavric, you're basically telling me I either watched a different game or I don't know a blitz from a butterfly? Not saying you are not absolutely correct but, after viewing twice now, I would have to wager that we didn't blitz that often during the whole game let alone in only three series. Sonofabitch, now I gotta watch it again and will be hesitant to comment on any game until I've seen it 3 or 4 times. But seriously, thanks for proving I apparently don't know sh#t :-)

Wyoming 6th Drive - 9:16 2nd Quarter - 6 plays - Punt

1&10, -33 - Corner Blitz - Evans (possibly Santos as well); 0 yd rush

3&4, -39 - Six man blitz out of 3-3 look - Seisay, Santos & Gregory; -1 yd pass, offsetting penalties

3&4, -39 - Corner Blitz - Evans; Incomplete pass

So Mavric, you're basically telling me I either watched a different game or I don't know a blitz from a butterfly? Not saying you are not absolutely correct but, after viewing twice now, I would have to wager that we didn't blitz that often during the whole game let alone in only three series. Sonofabitch, now I gotta watch it again and will be hesitant to comment on any game until I've seen it 3 or 4 times. But seriously, thanks for proving I apparently don't know sh#t :-)

McKewon was on USC this afternoon, and he and Severe were saying that the D blitzed quite a bit, but the blitzes were uneffective. The guys were running into each other in the gaps or the players were getting good pressure, but Smith would elude them. One thing that also concerned them was that Bo has shown a tendency to blitz on big plays, when the front 4 can't pressure the offense. The opposing offense will go with a short pass and hope that the receiver is able to break tackles and make a big play.

Nebraska did not plan on Wyoming running the ball as much as they did. Which nobody would if you have watched the Wyoming offense at all in the last couple years. You could see for much of the first quarter the defense was not respecting the run what so ever and Wyoming did a great job of getting matchups they wanted when they wanted to run the ball. It came down to Wyoming's gameplan more than Nebraska's ability to stop the run. In the second half they stuffed a lot more runs and only allowed minimal gains except maybe a couple plays.

Pretty much every team can run on us. Bo's scheme is ripe to be run on, that's why we frequently get the ball shoved down our throats by teams that aren't even good at running the ball. It's not really gameplan. A team sees it's very easy to run on us so they continue to do so.