CONCUSSIONS!!!

HuskerShark

Article

Just saw this article this morning that former football players are now suing the NCAA for "not educating them about the risk of concussions."

Is anyone else getting absolutely sick of this? When did personal accountability fly out the window completely? Why does everyone feel so entitled to money or possessions or privileges that they never earned?

Sorry for my lack of sensitivity, but if you need someone to sit you down and tell you that playing a sport in which collisions happen every single play might give you a concussion on occasion, then sorry, but you're not very smart. If someone needs to put a warning label on a cup of hot coffee that the contents might be hot, then sorry, but you're not very smart. Don't blame anybody but yourself if you spill it on your lap and get burnt.

I understand that one of the issues with these law suits is that our understanding of concussions and their effect on a person have just recently taken a huge leap due to the emphasis of concussion studies. But if that's the case that these former players are making, how is it the fault of the NCAA or the NFL?... I just find this part of American society absolutely ludicrous and frustrating, and quite honestly, I have zero sympathy for people who feel entitled to compensation as a result of THEIR CHOICE to play a sport that is violent in nature.

Feel free to give your thoughts as well.

/rant

:yeah

Negligence/covering something up is one thing but to basically say "you should have know about this and protected us". If their case is "not educating them" that implies that schools knew something and didn't pass it on but I'm not convinced.

When ESPN was reporting about the NFL lawsuit settlement, Chris Mortensen said he thinks he's had about 10 concussions in his life. One was when he was playing football in high school. The others were all non-football related - slipping on ice, etc. Thought that was a pretty interesting comment from a guy who played football for many years.

• 4 months later...

Jahvid Best suing NFL, helmet maker

Schnitzer said after Best suffered two concussions as a running back at Cal, the NFL still allowed him to become a draft pick. Best's concussions came as the league was in the midst of changes in concussion protocol and policy, as well as how they were treating concussion syndrome cases.

So they "still allowed him to become a draft pick"? Wow. Just wow.

This is getting pathetic. These are grown men doing what they love and getting paid millions at the same time, but the second something doesn't swing their way they sue the hand that was feeding them. Absolutely disgusting, but not surprising.

'Murica!

• Fire 1

The sense I get from this is that this is a result of the financial situation that many NFL players (and other athletes) find themselves in after they get done playing. They make large amounts of money while they are playing. Heck, even low round draft picks that don't become stars make money that most new college graduates would love to have.

BUT, most find themselves broke within a few years of not playing. So......why not sue the NFL and anyone else they can find to try to get more of what they feel they are owed?

Every football player from HS on up knows that playing football can harm your body in many ways. If they DON'T know that, then that is their fault.

Can't help but disagree with the lawsuits.

The NFL needs to have an emphasis put on player safety, and they're doing the best they can. There's not some magical knowledge that would remove all concussions in collisions that the NFL has that they aren't releasing. Think about how absurd that statement is: what reason does the NFL have for holding back knowledge that would make everyone safer and keep their game highly entertaining? None.