Positives Going In...

robsker

Some positives that we can consider going into this game.

Martinez is quietly completing 71% of his passes w/ 6TDs vs. 1 pick

Abdullah, Cross, Newby as a trio means excellent RB's all game long w/o fatigue as we can rotate them

WR's who are as well deep and rotate in and out... should have explosive play there all 4 quarters

A defense that may have a lock-down corner in SJB... maybe... we'll see against better competition.

DT's that are young at least now have two games under their belt --- as do the LB'ers like Gerry and Bando

It is at home.

Punting has been good.

So... there is a reasonable chance that NU can be ready for UCLA.

Finally, are we making UCLA out to be better than they really are? I earnestly do not know. Are they really that good? They may be... I guess we will find out.

Still... I think NU has a good shot in this game... I'd like to think just as good a shot as UCLA. Could be wrong, but this should be very even.

Finally, are we making UCLA out to be better than they really are? I earnestly do not know. Are they really that good? They may be... I guess we will find out.

You have to think that UCLA's offense is going to be improved this year. Returning 4 starters on the o-line, Hundley, most recievers. That TE (Fauria?) is gone and Franklin as well. There young RB looks pretty good though and anytime you have that many returning starters on the O-line you have to be optimistic.

I don't know about the D though. They return 6 on D I think I read. I remember reading in the off season that their D-line depth was a concern. Owa isn't playing. But Bar is a stud and they have a ton of athleticism and speed on D (they have been recruiting very well).

Did anyone get a chance to watch them against Nevada? Saw some highlights but mostly showed the offense.

I would say D-line depth is not really a concern, we have about 8 good players for the 3 spots. The secondary and O-line depth after the first unit are the bigger concerns for us right now. I feel good about the starting units but injuries could take their toll. Nebraska definitely could win this game, especially at home.

• Fire 1

I am trying to think on the positives, but have to be really honest. I just don't think we win this game. Matter of fact, I am worried about it getting out of hand. We played really well against them in the first half on offense last year and I have not seen the offense clicking to the point that I am thinking we can have another fast start like that. Our defense struggled in both games so far this year. Think about how Southern Miss started...they got the ball, got a first down and had a good down and distance going when the pick 6 went down. Then then got the ball back and started moving it for first downs and what not. When we got it.... it was three and punt. We get that start on Saturday and I can almost guarantee that it will be 14-0 UCLA.

Check that... Southern Miss just had one first down on that opening poss.

I am trying to think on the positives, but have to be really honest. I just don't think we win this game. Matter of fact, I am worried about it getting out of hand. We played really well against them in the first half on offense last year and I have not seen the offense clicking to the point that I am thinking we can have another fast start like that. Our defense struggled in both games so far this year. Think about how Southern Miss started...they got the ball, got a first down and had a good down and distance going when the pick 6 went down. Then then got the ball back and started moving it for first downs and what not. When we got it.... it was three and punt. We get that start on Saturday and I can almost guarantee that it will be 14-0 UCLA.

I'm a little worried about that as well. The Bruin poster in one of the other threads mentioned how extremely young they are, so I'm hoping a raucous crowd can rattle them a bit for the first few series. Maybe we can take advantage early. Recent history says otherwise though.

You might be quite correct. I am inclined to think that NU is not well coached nor is the team often focused or prepared. That said, the Huskers do have talent --- and the TMArt/RB/WR talent at NU is a force to be reckoned with... plus the other positives too.

And I agree... we have serious flaws as a team. But I am not sure UCLA is all that good. Are they really that much better?

I think w/ the home field and an offense that can score a great deal... well, we should have a shot... perhaps as good a shot as UCLA. Now... would I be surprised if UCLA thumped NU by 21 points? No... especially knowing that NU can --- and often has --- self destructed. But... if NU does not self destruct... I would also not be surprised if NU won this something like 38-35 or so.

Who knows? Still.. not convinced that UCLA is all that good.

QB's = even

IB's = Huskers advantage

WR's = Huskers advantage

Linemen = even, both young

Meaningless penalties = both poor

Dumb and/or critical turnovers = UCLA advantage

Previous bye week = ???

Execution (mostly coaches) = UCLA advantage. Weak link: Pap

Overall = even

BTW, I don't really care about 0-13 Southern Miss game. Keep in mind, only one game. (grain of salt thing)