Positives Going In...

robsker

... well, we should have a shot... perhaps as good a shot as UCLA.

Vegas says UCLA doesn't have a good as shot as Nebraska.

what is the early line?

Started at Nebraska -4, I think it's up to -5.5

Not sure but it might be considered a payback/revenge edge. Seems to happen more than not. Unfortunately, the same goes against us VS Michigan State, Northwestern and Penn State this year. Regardless, I like our chances. Should be a close game.

Consensus odds as of Monday noon: - 4.5

Still waiting for O/U

http://www.sportsnet...sc=AF,p=1,date=

Sagarin Predictor column: -2.5 (including home cooking)

In addition, sports rating systems are generally of great interest to gamblers. Gamblers use Sagarin's ratings as a source of "Power Rankings," traditionally used as a way to determine the spread between two teams (wiki source)

I think Nebraska is going to win. Here is why, we have them at home at 11am which is around 9am their time so they will play tired, they had a bye week last week which would seem like a good thing as they can be more rested and prepared but they are young on D and us having an extra play week especially like last week was advantageous. I might get some negativity for this but I think our defense will come out and play well, and by well I mean a lot better than people are expecting. Yes we will still give up yards and points but will have some turnovers, sacks and some big stops. I love the athleticism we have on our defense especially with Gerry and Bando at LB. Gregory and our defense will get a couple sacks. I think as a team we only have 1 sack which is crazy because it seems like we have been close on nearly every passing play. I think our offense will come out in another gear and be that unstoppable force we have been expecting. That is all.

I think Nebraska is going to win. Here is why, we have them at home at 11am which is around 9am their time so they will play tired, they had a bye week last week which would seem like a good thing as they can be more rested and prepared but they are young on D and us having an extra play week especially like last week was advantageous. I might get some negativity for this but I think our defense will come out and play well, and by well I mean a lot better than people are expecting. Yes we will still give up yards and points but will have some turnovers, sacks and some big stops. I love the athleticism we have on our defense especially with Gerry and Bando at LB. Gregory and our defense will get a couple sacks. I think as a team we only have 1 sack which is crazy because it seems like we have been close on nearly every passing play. I think our offense will come out in another gear and be that unstoppable force we have been expecting. That is all.

I agree with this. With so many redshirt and truefreshman playing, no doubt there will bumps in the road, however, after watching the game Saturday night, this young defense has a very strong upside and they will continue to improve from here on out and the bumps in the road are at a minimum. IIRC, what hurt last year at UCLA was that Beck went conservative on offense. Once you stomp on the gas, don't let up.

I'm leaning towards us winning as well. Won't be shocked if we don't, but I do like our chances. Per Coach Mora, they are at their best when they have running room and can run the ball. So it looks like it's going to come down to how we defend them, and if they can shake up our offense as well, and force turnovers. I'm hopeful our team will be ready for whatever they throw at us.

You might be quite correct. I am inclined to think that NU is not well coached nor is the team often focused or prepared. That said, the Huskers do have talent --- and the TMArt/RB/WR talent at NU is a force to be reckoned with... plus the other positives too.

And I agree... we have serious flaws as a team. But I am not sure UCLA is all that good. Are they really that much better?

I think w/ the home field and an offense that can score a great deal... well, we should have a shot... perhaps as good a shot as UCLA. Now... would I be surprised if UCLA thumped NU by 21 points? No... especially knowing that NU can --- and often has --- self destructed. But... if NU does not self destruct... I would also not be surprised if NU won this something like 38-35 or so.

Who knows? Still.. not convinced that UCLA is all that good.

I could see us losing by 20 or winning by 20. We all know this team is capable of either outcome. Really wish they'd pull together and figure out what's missing to starting winning like they are capable of.

You might be quite correct. I am inclined to think that NU is not well coached nor is the team often focused or prepared. That said, the Huskers do have talent --- and the TMArt/RB/WR talent at NU is a force to be reckoned with... plus the other positives too.

And I agree... we have serious flaws as a team. But I am not sure UCLA is all that good. Are they really that much better?

I think w/ the home field and an offense that can score a great deal... well, we should have a shot... perhaps as good a shot as UCLA. Now... would I be surprised if UCLA thumped NU by 21 points? No... especially knowing that NU can --- and often has --- self destructed. But... if NU does not self destruct... I would also not be surprised if NU won this something like 38-35 or so.

I could see us losing by 20 or winning by 20. We all know this team is capable of either outcome. Really wish they'd pull together and figure out what's missing to starting winning like they are capable of.

I would actually be (pleasantly) shocked if we won by 20. I just haven't seen us put together a full game against anyone for too long.

And now I'm being more negative than kchusker_chris. What's this world coming to. :D

For once, I'd like to see NU get off to a hot start. When was the last time that happened against a decent team? If we can start well and maintain confidence and crowd support, the ingredients are there for a big win.

Big 12 Championship game against Oklahoma.

Well, crap.

If we keep this game close and don't let UCLA get their ground game going, we win this game in the fourth quarter. If we let UCLA get their ground game going early, it will more than likely get out of hand with most of the stadium empty by the fourth quarter. A lot of this game hinges upon if our defense shows up and if our offense can keep from turning the ball over. Watching the Giants play Dallas last night was just agonizing. The Giants were clearly the better team, but six turnovers just can't be overcome.

I would actually be (pleasantly) shocked if we won by 20. I just haven't seen us put together a full game against anyone for too long.

And now I'm being more negative than kchusker_chris. What's this world coming to. :D

Oh, trust me I'd be shocked as well. But, we all know we have the offense to score 50-60 on UCLA if we can get out of our own way. They sport a defense that might just be worse than ours. They were consistently bad last year (just not in epic fashion like our guys), giving up over 400 yards on D 50% of the time w/ a 5.6 yards/play average for a 70+ ranking. (we finished 35th only giving up over 400 4 times...just when we did it...we really stunk it up).

If we get pressure on Hundley, disrupt the timing instead of playing paddy-cake w/ the OL...it's not crazy to think we could hold them to 30 points.

We'd have to play near flawlessly on offense, and put up a better showing on D than we've seen thus far...but this team is capable of it. But, as we all know they're capable of turning the ball over 4 times, then giving up 650 yards and 60 points just as quickly.

For once, I'd like to see NU get off to a hot start. When was the last time that happened against a decent team? If we can start well and maintain confidence and crowd support, the ingredients are there for a big win.

Well, crap.

This isn't really accurate, at least not by my estimation. Here's games since 2010 where we have gotten off to hot starts against decent teams:

2011 Wisconsin - scored first, then again to lead 14-7 early.

2011 Michigan State - had the first two scores of the game both in the first quarter

2011 South Carolina - Scored all of our points in the first quarter

2012 Ohio State - they scored first, but we responded with three unanswered scores to lead 17-7

Well, crap.

This isn't really accurate, at least not by my estimation. Here's games since 2010 where we have gotten off to hot starts against decent teams:

2011 Michigan State - had the first two scores of the game both in the first quarter

2012 Ohio State - they scored first, but we responded with three unanswered scores to lead 17-7

$h!t, forget I said anything then! This thread is supposed to be about positives; that's not the vibe a get when I look at that list of games.

Well, crap.

$h!t, forget I said anything then! This thread is supposed to be about positives; that's not the vibe a get when I look at that list of games.

The thread is about positives, sure, but the specific question was games we started out well in. Sorry if I rained on the parade answering it properly :P