Brett Hundley

NUance

Hundley is much more of a passer than he is a runner. He's less Tebow/Manziel and more Luck/Russell Wilson in that he prefers to throw but will run when given space. His best attribute is his poise, he doesn't get rattled by pass rush or a bad play, which is how he managed to have the season he had last year despite being sacked 52 times.

It will be interesting to see how they use their running game and short passing game. The big gaining plays they had last year should be eliminated with the changes on defense this year (scheme, personnel, and a better gameplan now that we have tape of what they do.)

Both Wyoming and Southern Miss. had big plays against us, so I'd be surprised if UCLA didn't have at least a few.

Last year they had numerous plays that should've been a TFL or a minimal gain go for a huge gain, or a first down, etc. simply because they could get the corner or we'd miss a tackle. They didn't really gash us straight up the middle. Mostly edges. I wonder if they change the running game to go up the middle now, for instance. Those swing routes probably won't be option #1 or #2 anymore, either. At least force Hundley to throw into some tight spaces and see if we can make a play on the ball.

It will be interesting to see how they use their running game and short passing game. The big gaining plays they had last year should be eliminated with the changes on defense this year (scheme, personnel, and a better gameplan now that we have tape of what they do.)

Both Wyoming and Southern Miss. had big plays against us, so I'd be surprised if UCLA didn't have at least a few.

Last year they had numerous plays that should've been a TFL or a minimal gain go for a huge gain, or a first down, etc. simply because they could get the corner or we'd miss a tackle. They didn't really gash us straight up the middle. Mostly edges. I wonder if they change the running game to go up the middle now, for instance. Those swing routes probably won't be option #1 or #2 anymore, either. At least force Hundley to throw into some tight spaces and see if we can make a play on the ball.

I doubt Mora challenges our experienced (and this season ball-hawking!!) secondary with difficult throws for Hundley. If they do and beat us that way, then kudos to them. But that really plays into the strength of our defense. UCLA needs to get the running game going and hit easy throws with their athletes against ours in space. That OL with 4 returning starters is what worries me most about UCLA along with Hundley's ability to escape and run.

I doubt Mora challenges our experienced (and this season ball-hawking!!) secondary with difficult throws for Hundley. If they do and beat us that way, then kudos to them. But that really plays into the strength of our defense. UCLA needs to get the running game going and hit easy throws with their athletes against ours in space. That OL with 4 returning starters is what worries me most about UCLA along with Hundley's ability to escape and run.

I guess my point wasn't very clear.

If they use the same gameplan as last year, I believe, they'll get blown out. They have to change something to be successful. Those short swing passes that were going for 10 yards each last year, are sure to be eliminated by our team speed.

Running to the edge for 8 yards a pop (or whatever it was) and 220 yards by a single player, won't happen either. The "weakness" was us being gashed up the middle in the first game of this season. I'm assuming they'll try and challenge that part of the line (the middle part) and test our LBs run stopping ability (which was decent against a much inferior foe last week).

I believe, they'll have to use Hundley's throwing ability to open up the run game for them. I think we'll be all over the short swing passes and the run game. At some point I think they'll have to throw the ball around a bit, and I'm sure Hundley (like Taylor) will want to force some sort of throw for a big gain and that will be our opportunity. As mentioned before, his scrambling ability is the least of my worries. He prefers to pass the ball and stay in the pocket. That's fine. We struggle when QBs leave the pocket and roam around. He doesn't have blazing speed, which is key.

Edit - The athletes they have on offense vs. the athletes we have on defense is pretty even this year compared to last year. Alonzo Whaley vs Fauria seem even remotely fair to you? It's more balanced out now. The 4 returning starters who gave up 50 sacks? :confucius

In Gregory We Trust

If they use the same gameplan as last year, I believe, they'll get blown out. They have to change something to be successful. Those short swing passes that were going for 10 yards each last year, are sure to be eliminated by our team speed.

Running to the edge for 8 yards a pop (or whatever it was) and 220 yards by a single player, won't happen either. The "weakness" was us being gashed up the middle in the first game of this season. I'm assuming they'll try and challenge that part of the line (the middle part) and test our LBs run stopping ability (which was decent against a much inferior foe last week).

I believe, they'll have to use Hundley's throwing ability to open up the run game for them. I think we'll be all over the short swing passes and the run game. At some point I think they'll have to throw the ball around a bit, and I'm sure Hundley (like Taylor) will want to force some sort of throw for a big gain and that will be our opportunity. As mentioned before, his scrambling ability is the least of my worries. He prefers to pass the ball and stay in the pocket. That's fine. We struggle when QBs leave the pocket and roam around. He doesn't have blazing speed, which is key.

Ok, I understand now.

I think they'll try a lot of similar stuff testing the edges of our defense. They've got speed, so why wouldn't they? Plus it sets up an inside running game. The story will be on the trenches on both sides. Can UCLA's experienced OL get a push against our new but bigger DL? And the same for our OL against their DL? Whoever wins those will win the game. If that's pretty even, then it'll come down to turnovers and big plays.

Ok, I understand now.

I think they'll try a lot of similar stuff testing the edges of our defense. They've got speed, so why wouldn't they? Plus it sets up an inside running game. The story will be on the trenches on both sides. Can UCLA's experienced OL get a push against our new but bigger DL? And the same for our OL against their DL? Whoever wins those will win the game. If that's pretty even, then it'll come down to turnovers and big plays.

I think we are on the same page, I'm just assuming that if they use that exact same game plan, they are going to be in for a rude awakening. They'll probably have to at least try to run inside more frequently since they do have the experience factor on the OL vs DL matchup. I fully expect them to test the edges of our D, I just think that happens to be a strength of the D now. From whta I've seen of them, they aren't a power running team, which would force Hundley into throws - and don't get me wrong - he CAN beat us with his arm. I'm just hoping our defense is good enough to make a game changing play there.

Id be willing to bet that UCLA shows a lot of pre-snap motion to get us to tip our coverage hand to see if we are in zone or man. Don't think for a second that Dave Christiansen didn't know what he was doing on a few of those Brett Smith keepers when he motioned the RB out of the backfield and it opened up the middle of the field completely.

I see us moving Gregory all around the line this game. I expect to see him used the way that we wanted to use him when we signed him.

Ok, I understand now.

I think we are on the same page, I'm just assuming that if they use that exact same game plan, they are going to be in for a rude awakening. They'll probably have to at least try to run inside more frequently since they do have the experience factor on the OL vs DL matchup. I fully expect them to test the edges of our D, I just think that happens to be a strength of the D now. From whta I've seen of them, they aren't a power running team, which would force Hundley into throws - and don't get me wrong - he CAN beat us with his arm. I'm just hoping our defense is good enough to make a game changing play there.

I pretty much agree, except I'm not as confident that our defense is up to the task of stopping UCLA's speed. We've got some new, raw speed out there, but UCLA has experienced speed.