Run Style/Pass Style vs. UCLA

I haven't watched UCLA play this year, nor do I know much about their defensive experience/talent. I can only speak in generalities, but I will say this. We *should* have a really good offensive line that hasn't quite put it together for four quarters yet. If we can do that, I believe the way we've run our offense the last two games will be successful. A lot of what you do is dictated by how well your o-line performs. I'm confident in our skill position players, but the line has to show up to play Saturday, and we certainly can't start both halves with three and out drives like we did against Southern Miss.

Hey there. Just wondered your guys' opinions. What would be the better game plan for Beck to choose against UCLA in terms of passing and running?

Running - power up the gut / speed to the edges (choose one)

Passing - underneath to our backs / deep to our receivers (choose one)

You can't just make a blanket statement, because you're not playing against static circumstances - you're playing against another team.

Do what works. What works will depend on what UCLA does and what we are having success doing.

Hey there. Just wondered your guys' opinions. What would be the better game plan for Beck to choose against UCLA in terms of passing and running?

Running - power up the gut / speed to the edges (choose one)

Passing - underneath to our backs / deep to our receivers (choose one)

I really hope your not Tim Beck.

In all seriousness I would like to see us run the ball like we did early against Georgia. Establish the run and run some play action. Help keep our D fresh and wear down their thin dline.

Nevada's quarterback ran for 106 yards and not because he was scrambling he made good choices. Conversely, UCLA threw the ball to 12 different receivers. I think we run to the perimeter and speed kills, their linebackers do not look as fast or athletic as the Bruins fans think they are.

Anthony Barr is that fast.

Nevada's quarterback ran for 106 yards and not because he was scrambling he made good choices. Conversely, UCLA threw the ball to 12 different receivers. I think we run to the perimeter and speed kills, their linebackers do not look as fast or athletic as the Bruins fans think they are.

Anthony Barr is that fast.

I think he was still shaking off the effects of his head injury.

Spanos had UCA run an odd scheme against Nevada that I hope he doesn't employ against Nebraska when they run the pistol: LB/DE Deon Hollins (Fr) would crash immediately on the RB, and when Fajardo pulled the ball back and ran for the perimeter, the Bruins would send an ILB or S to track Fajardo to the edge. Unfortunately, two true freshmen, LB Myles Jack and S Tahaan Goodman, had some breakdowns in reacting to Fajardo, and were at times picked off before reaching the Nevada QB. Veterans Kendricks and Zumwault were better at reacting and attacking before Fajardo took the corner. Hopefully those were freshman mistakes, as Goodman and Jack are both immensely talented, and deserve to be on the field a lot. Or more hopefully, Spanos switches up from his odd scheme, and plays his base D for most of the game.

Regarding the speed and athleticism of the UCLA LBs, we'll see how they perform on Saturday. But we probably won't have any definitive idea until Barr, Zummy and Kendricks test at the combine this year and next. They look pretty dang fast even if they aren't the largest group of linebackers around.