Message to the b.l.a.ckout Hold-Outs

drummer7

Which team are you supporting with your red shirt on Saturday? Last I heard, the colors battling on the turf are blue, gold, black, and white. Please wear black so you don't look like you're at the wrong game. It's one game.

When I was little, I got all kinds of crap from my uncles for going to a game with a black shirt on and I learned my lesson. I never EVER let any of my friends go to a game with me wearing anything but red. But for this one game, red doesn't work.

• Fire 1

Nobody is going to think that people wearing red are at the wrong game. Sure, wear black if you want to, or wear red if you want to. It ultimately doesn't make much of a difference because of two reasons:

1. The players will still play football regardless of what the fans wear.

2. The black-out won't be successful across the stadium either way.

• Fire 1

Oh wow. You've convinced me. I'll let the other 90,000 know so we don't look like fools.

You'd never get the whole stadium black unless the 90k shirts were given out before the game, but that's no reason not to wear one.

People are already wearing black, so you might as well join them. "It's not going to work" is not an excuse to not wear one. If you know about it, you should do it.

• Fire 3

Which team are you supporting with your red shirt on Saturday? Last I heard, the colors battling on the turf are blue, gold, black, and white. Please wear black so you don't look like you're at the wrong game. It's one game.

When I was little, I got all kinds of crap from my uncles for going to a game with a black shirt on and I learned my lesson. I never EVER let any of my friends go to a game with me wearing anything but red. But for this one game, red doesn't work.

You should realize that what you didn't like in others- your uncles in this case for telling you what you should do -is exactly what you are doing now? When you say you've "learned my lesson," I don't think you have. What you should've learned is that anyone can express themselves by wearing whatever they want.

Oh wow. You've convinced me. I'll let the other 90,000 know so we don't look like fools.

You'd never get the whole stadium black unless the 90k shirts were given out before the game, but that's no reason not to wear one.

People are already wearing black, so you might as well join them. "It's not going to work" is not an excuse to not wear one. If you know about it, you should do it.

People are already wearing red too, so I might as well join them...?

You're just proving that there's no real incentive one way or the other. If you want to wear red because we're Nebraska then do it. If you want to wear black because the jerseys are black then do that.

You should realize that what you didn't like in others- your uncles in this case for telling you what you should do -is exactly what you are doing now? When you say you've "learned my lesson," I don't think you have. What you should've learned is that anyone can express themselves by wearing whatever they want.

You're taking that a little too seriously. That was not some kind of conformity/peer-pressure/discrimination/life-lesson speech. My uncles were obviously just joking around with me, but that's how I learned how the "Sea of Red" tradition and how important it was. Why wear a black shirt in the Sea of Red? It's not a matter of expressing yourself like you're a cross-dressor or a hippie (both of which are perfectly fine, I'm all for expression).