Beck cost us this game

The thing that strikes me about this game is the complete lack of creativity by Beck.

I asked in the GT, but where are the crossing routes? Where are the shots down the field to Bell or Turner? Where is the motion to allow Abdullah or Newby, who are both GREAT receivers, to have a mismatch against a LB in space?

At some point, I expected us to use our speed out wide to stretch the defense out. But we did not. And it allowed the LBs and safeties to play closer to the LOS which KILLED our run game.

Even more, what happened to Imani? Abdullah struggled, as we used a straight ahead power run game. But that isn't what Ameer is built for, or even good at. Ameer needs to be in space on counters, sweeps and toss plays. Imani has shown the bruising ability that is suited for this style, and showed great power in the few runs he did get.

I thought the line held up pretty well in pass pro, surprisingly.

Going into this year, we all knew the defense was going to be young and struggle. But with the experience and talent on offense, I expected, and was hoping, we could sustain drives enough to keep the defense off the field and not show the glaring weaknesses we have on that side of the ball.

Instead, our offense laid a giant turd. And with a surpremely talented UCLA offense, they took advantage our lack of depth defensively in our front 7, and exposed our weaknesses pretty easily in the 2nd half.

If we want to win games this year, our offense is going to need to be our defenses best friend. Unfortunately, they were our worst enemy today.

Where was the zone read?!??!

Really. That is what Taylor does. That is how Taylor hurts people (and the occasional QB draw on third and long, but that's not a bread and butter play, I think). Not the option.

So if we're not going to get Taylor openings by running ZR, ZR, ZR, what good is it? A waste of a damn fine gamebreaking runner, if you ask me. Defenses needing to worry about a read option phenom is also a lot more difficult of a problem for them than having to just worry about the occasional speedy scramble, in my opinion.

• Fire 1

Give UCLA some credit. Their coaches made changes. That's the difference between a guy who had coached in the NFL for 25 years and our guy.

Bottom line: Nebraska will never again live up to our expectations until they hire coaches who can coach "in game."

Mora is an uber genius compared to Bo and Beck. I knew they would come out the second half with adjustments just like last year. What I didn't realize was the total meltdown by both the offense and defense in the second half. I blame the offense more. They were horrible.

I would trade Mora for Bo in a heartbeat. Why do we struggle so bad in picking good head coaches? Are we cheap? We need to spend some money and get some proven coaches here. We can succeed with good coaches.

Bo is one of the best paid HC in college football.

Give UCLA some credit. Their coaches made changes. That's the difference between a guy who had coached in the NFL for 25 years and our guy.

Bottom line: Nebraska will never again live up to our expectations until they hire coaches who can coach "in game."

Mora is an uber genius compared to Bo and Beck. I knew they would come out the second half with adjustments just like last year. What I didn't realize was the total meltdown by both the offense and defense in the second half. I blame the offense more. They were horrible.

I would trade Mora for Bo in a heartbeat. Why do we struggle so bad in picking good head coaches? Are we cheap? We need to spend some money and get some proven coaches here. We can succeed with good coaches.

Tom only wanted puppets that would do things his way, which doesn't work anymore. That is why he doesn't need to meddle in the HC search this time.

When is everyone going to stop blaming the coordinators and hold our incompetent HC accountable? Bo should need to win the conference to hold onto his job and this team is not good enough to even win this crappy conference.

What did Bo do wrong? His players came out on fire to start the game. The D was confusing Hundley. We were getting enough pressure to make him uncomfortable with four men. Cue 2nd quarter. O isn't sustaining drives for points. A young defense gets tired from being on the field constantly. A couple of dropped passes, missed tackles, getting beat on routes, and costly penalties were the biggest difference. These are on players, not Bo.

At some point, I expected us to use our speed out wide to stretch the defense out. But we did not. And it allowed the LBs and safeties to play closer to the LOS which KILLED our run game.

I did think we made a concerted effort to get the ball to Turner and Bell in space with those short throws to the sidelines. However, it didn't really seem to work very well.

As for crossing routes, I don't know about those, the way Taylor's throws sometimes go high or behind guys. It doesn't seem like a very effective tool in the arsenal, but if he can make a throw that allows for YAC consistently, we have guys that can really burn teams catching the ball.

Tom only wanted puppets that would do things his way, which doesn't work anymore. That is why he doesn't need to meddle in the HC search this time.

I love Tom, but you are right. I think our new AD will look at it much differently.

I did think we made a concerted effort to get the ball to Turner and Bell in space with those short throws to the sidelines. However, it didn't really seem to work very well.

As for crossing routes, I don't know about those, the way Taylor's throws sometimes go high or behind guys. It doesn't seem like a very effective tool in the arsenal, but if he can make a throw that allows for YAC consistently, we have guys that can really burn teams catching the ball.

Nearly all of those throws were off screens, outs or digs.

I should have clarified that when I say stretch, I mean stretch the field vertically. Use the speed of Turner and Bell to push those LBs back in their drops because of crossing routes. Force those safeties back for fear of being ran by on a post play, or even a fly route.

Use the vertical pass to set up the run game that just was not there today.

When is everyone going to stop blaming the coordinators and hold our incompetent HC accountable? Bo should need to win the conference to hold onto his job and this team is not good enough to even win this crappy conference.

What did Bo do wrong? His players came out on fire to start the game. The D was confusing Hundley. We were getting enough pressure to make him uncomfortable with four men. Cue 2nd quarter. O isn't sustaining drives for points. A young defense gets tired from being on the field constantly. A couple of dropped passes, missed tackles, getting beat on routes, and costly penalties were the biggest difference. These are on players, not Bo.

I can't believe that some people are still making excuses for this guy. Bo recruited these guys and their failure is his failure.

Always odd when the OC is blamed for not sticking with the run, and simultaneously blamed for not keeping his foot on the gas.

We looked pretty good throwing the ball in the first half. We didn't abandon the run. We ran. But it wasn't as easy against a better prepared defense.

As a few of us noted last week and the commentators kept echoing, it appears Taylor Martinez is determined to raise his passing game and dilute his running game, and in doing so he's missing huge seams that open up, taking losses he shouldn't, and encouraging the secondary to maintain their coverage. Maybe the coaches told Martinez not to take off running so quickly, but you can watch those decisions hurting the offense.

I don't know what happens next, but please stop the ill-informed chorus that the Huskers simply need to pound the ball with our running backs. It doesn't work that way. We can run AND pass and it's the only way to keep defenses off-balance. Kenny Bell and Quincy Enunway may be the only reasons to watch the rest of the season.

I want to blame the coaches for not making the necessary in-game adjustments, but honestly it looks like the team just loses confidence and focus on both sides of the ball, suddenly unable to execute things they know how to do.

Of course, that's on the coaches, too.

• Fire 2