Defense.... of BO

tmfr15

I watched Bo's presser and it was all bullsh#t. Never once did he say I or me and the staff need to teach these kids better instead he just blamed the players. The players can only play what the coaches teach them. Sorry Bo but it's year 6 it's on you not the players.

During the presser he stated I think 5 or 6 times I don't know so if he doesn't know he should get somebody that does.

but then that would mean he would have someone more knowledgeable than him!

I watched Bo's presser and it was all bullsh#t. Never once did he say I or me and the staff need to teach these kids better instead he just blamed the players. The players can only play what the coaches teach them. Sorry Bo but it's year 6 it's on you not the players.

During the presser he stated I think 5 or 6 times I don't know so if he doesn't know he should get somebody that does.

but then that would mean he would have someone more knowledgeable than him!

If only he would read this board.....problem solved.

I hear what you guys are saying about the onfield product. But I still have to say it comes down to piss poor recruiting. We get very few studs, and most of those guys end up being busts, so we go into desperation mode. Why is JSP playing a starting role in the secondary? We have major problems locating talent at that position and therefor we resorted to getting somebody from another position group on the team.... that's desperation. Why is Nickens at DT? We have major problems locating talent at that position and therefor we resorted to getting somebody from another position group on the team.... that's desperation. Why isn't Santos on the field at LB? Anderson? We are starting true freshman over guys that should be better or at least that is the bill of goods we were sold. They are not better.

And offense is not immune either. How many high level dual threat QBs did we miss on before settling for TA and JS? We got beat out for one of the top QBs by Northwestern last year. Ummm... Northwestern.

What about Heard at the RB? We recruited him. We wanted him. He had academic problems. We stuck by him. He got here. And then flamed out. Aaron Green anybody? GONE. What makes any of us have much confidence that the two FR backs on this team will stick around? They might be busts too.

O-line has had its share of recruiting misses and busts too.

The list goes on.

I will listen to the people that say Bo has some coaching problems and a BIG recruiting problem. I will listen to those that say it's just a recruting problem.

And the only fix in either scenario might be to replace Bo.

But the idea that this guy knew what he was doing on defense in the first few years and now is a complete idiot... well, it makes no sense.

I will say this... not that long ago I said THIS year's team could be anywhere from 12-0.... if the defense panned out as advertised and the O lived up to the hype.... to 7-5 if the defense turned out to be a turnstyle as it was last year. You've seen three games now. Tell me you would be shocked by 7-5. SHOCKED. No way. That is what this team is likely capable of...

I don't think it's so obvious that one can blindly say "Bo's system works."

We haven't seen it "work" in a loooooooooong time. Specifically, it hasn't "worked" since we had an absolute physical freak up front that no offensive line was capable of blocking and most QBs weren't even capable of out-running.

If we did a blind statistical display two defenses at Nebraska, I don't honestly know that we'd be able to pick out which was Bo and which was Cosgrove. Yet one is pure villain in this fan base, and the other is beloved to some degree (mostly because we all remember him fondly rescuing us in 2003).

The system relies on a controlled 4-man rush that will only get to the QB if he decides to hold onto the ball for 7 seconds while staying stationary in the pocket. All that has to happen is perfect communication and coverage on receivers by our LBs and DBs for those same 7 seconds.

It's the defensive equivalent of the Run and Shoot. It's needlessly complicated, and the players fit the system, not the other way around.

How many times does it need to be exposed in prime time for us to ask, maybe we just need a simple defense that focuses on being physical and is fundamentally sound?

Haha. I hax to triple check the posting date for the OP. Thought it probably got bumped from a year ago or maybe two years ago. Nope, fresh batch of the same ole same ole. Sorry, this guy isn't buying the "system works, execute the process" bs anymore. It hasn't worked, contrary it has failed miserably time and time again, on the biggest stages, under the brightest lights. I'm done with it. Next.

And btw, I am sad about that. I liked Bo and still do but, he has reached his pinnacle at Nebraska. He got us part of the way back from the Callahan era- no small feat. But it is time to strive for excellence not better than average mediocrity.

Many people think Bo will get another pass this year even with a 7 or 8 win season. I think he will need to win 9 at least. That is not looking too hopeful right now. Tom is now gone and Bo's support long term is waning especially with these epic meltdowns. I used to be so emotional when we lost these games. Now after several years of seeing this I have become conditioned to it. Still upset, but I turned off the TV in middle of the 4th quarter and moved on. Barfknecht has an article in the OWH this morning which describes this accurately.

I get so tired at the press conferences when Bo blames the players for their execution. We have enough talent to play UCLA much more competitively. To me it is a coaching problem. Reminds me when people try to lose weight. It's about 40% exercise and 60% diet. The same goes with football. Even the most talented teams will not succeed without good coaching. ( See Mack Brown) . The Blame must go to our head coach. Nebraska needs to pony up and hire a proven coach. Show the rest of college football we mean business.

Haha. I hax to triple check the posting date for the OP. Thought it probably got bumped from a year ago or maybe two years ago. Nope, fresh batch of the same ole same ole. Sorry, this guy isn't buying the "system works, execute the process" bs anymore. It hasn't worked, contrary it has failed miserably time and time again, on the biggest stages, under the brightest lights. I'm done with it. Next.

And btw, I am sad about that. I liked Bo and still do but, he has reached his pinnacle at Nebraska. He got us part of the way back from the Callahan era- no small feat. But it is time to strive for excellence not better than average mediocrity.

I think Bo is a good guy, and I like how he handles the team off the field. But on the field they are paper tigers. Bo could potentially save his job, but he needs to hire an outside defensive coordinator who can bring in fresh ideas and a fresh mindset. However, we can't keep letting Bo try to figure this out on his own. That hasn't been working. It's been a steady defensive decline since 2010. Can you imagine if Lavonte David had never come to Nebraska? We'd probably be on a new head coach already.

Looking back at where Bo has had success as a DC, what the OP says has a lot of merit. OU (talent), LSU (A LOT of talent). His schemes may work when he has that kind of high-caliber, Southern talent, but with what he has....not so much.

As we all know, making adjustments is about what Bo and staff are worst at, so, of course, nothing will be done to address this reality.

Funny, Callahan did the same thing when he defended himself and Cosgrove. Bo got us past the slump that was Callahan and Solich, but he has plateaued and we are not improving. UNL shouldn't be paying $3mil/year for 9 wins. 9 wins don't mean anything when its wins on poor to mediocre teams. FYI, we just dropped out of the top 25, I know you all are shocked.

Funny, Callahan did the same thing when he defended himself and Cosgrove. Bo got us past the slump that was Callahan and Solich, but he has plateaued and we are not improving. UNL shouldn't be paying $3mil/year for 9 wins. 9 wins don't mean anything when its wins on poor to mediocre teams. FYI, we just dropped out of the top 25, I know you all are shocked.

Unless Bo changes he will get himself fired.