Tommy Armstrong should start against SDSU or...

i'm a Martinez supporter but I will be glad when he is gone next year just so I don't have to listen to the constant bashing on Martinez by some people who think that everything is his fault. did he play a good 4 quarters yesterday nope he didn't, but there is plenty of blame to go around and not all of it should fall on a guy who threw 3 TDs, true he isn't running the ball effectively so far this year but if that is because of injury than the coaches should sit him and put one of the other QBs in there to play, more of a coaching problem in my opinion than on Martinez

• Fire 1

Bo doesn't have the stones to do it. He'll never create drama on the team. That's part of the issue.

The QB battle is as much as a battle as Bo makes it. If X really is playing better than Taylor in practice, do you really think practice is going to give X more reps than Taylor? Nope, because that will create a rift in the system. I can't count how many times Taylor has proven to be completely ineffective - see my numerous posts about us not winning anything of significance with Taylor at the helm - against better competition. His inability to throw the ball coupled with his inability to now run the ball, puts us in a pretty sh**ty situation. Love it or hate it, I'm not so sure Beck wouldn't have put in a new QB at this juncture as Beck thinks Taylor is limited in the plays he can run in comparison to other QBs on the roster.

When was the last time Taylor was a running threat? Don't give me the injury crap, that is very recent. I'll wait.

When was the last time we ran a screen? Any deep route combinations that take time to develop?

Have you ever trusted Taylor throwing into tight spaces? Have you ever trusted him to win a game with his arm for us, picking apart a defense with his throws?

When was the last time you watched Taylor in the pocket and knew he wasn't going to make some boneheaded throw and just loft it up there? For me, every time he goes back there it is a guessing game as to what he may do. Lose 10 yards trying to avoid a sack instead of throwing it away? Making an errant throw and getting intercepted? Fumbling?

The sad reality is this. Taylor is no longer a viable QB for Nebraska. The other team plays pattycake waiting for Taylor to throw. They hardly even try to pressure him and force him to throw, because they don't thiink he can beat them with his arm. How many coaches or players have we heard say this?

I have a lot more beef with our offense than defense right now, as our offense was supposed to be our crutch this season. They are proving to be worse than our defense, and that is pathetic.

I believe in Bo, with the caveat that something is done about Taylor. We are too limited with him.

I completely disagree, with all of your points and your foundation. If anyone really believes Armstrong/Stanton/Kellogg would lead us to more wins this year than Martinez, that person is out of their mind. Taylor is not perfect, but a person has to take all of his good attributes (which far outweigh his bad attributes) for granted to believe he's "ineffective." And Taylor had one of his worst games yesterday? Give me a break, he had three touchdowns with no interceptions. I know he was not doing well in the second half, but that has more to do with Beck's play-calling than Martinez.

Then answer the questions, if you disagree.

When was the last time he was a running threat? Not this season, at least.

When did we throw a screen?

Do you think Taylor can pick apart a defense with his arm?

Do you trust Taylor to pick apart a defense with his arm?

You do realize, UCLA, Wisconsin, Georgia, South Carolina, Wyoming, etc. have all said that they just want Taylor to throw into coverage, because he sucks at it.

Beck's play calling isn't/wasn't great, but Beck has also told Bo he doesn't think Martinez is the best option at that position. His playbook is limited with Taylor, because Taylor can't make the necessary reads and doesn't have the ability to throw the ball like Beck's playbook would ask of him. Furthermore, Taylor's biggest asset is his running ability. He is completely ineffective

if he doesn't use his wheels, as that is his strength. Not his throwing ability. You, my friend, are out of your mind if you think Taylor, in his current form (not running the ball), is going to win us more games than Ron Kellogg would if he was allowed to throw the ball all over the place. The sad fact is, with Taylor NOT RUNNING and trying to become a "pocket passer", he HURTS this team because he is probably the THIRD best POCKET PASSER on this team. If we want a pocket passer back there, put Kellogg in, not Taylor. Taylor is eliminating himself. If he is willing to run, this is a less of a conversation, but up to this point he has not looked even remotely the same as he has before. Luckily for him, Bo is LOYAL TO A FAULT. As of now, Ron Kellogg would be a better fit, if we want to just pass the ball, because he can actually run all of the passing plays and Armstrong is the best "dual" threat QB, since Taylor seemingly is eliminating that part of his game.

We also do run the zone read, but it also has been cutback a little because Taylor makes awful reads, frequently, in the zone read. Taylor also has been throwing it more out of the zone read as we have a pass option built into it also.

Ok, buddy, when the hell did Beck tell Bo that Taylor wan't the best option at qb?

Prior to the season and it has been rehashed since then. Beck has also had conversations with Taylor about what his strengths are and are not.

I can't provide you with links for everything as some of my information I get from conversations that are not public. Taylor isn't, and never will be, Beck's favorite option at QB.

Oh, shut up with your, I live in Oregon but have connections to the team BS. I don't care. Your so naive to the fact that the game and it's faults at the end lie with the coaches. If you think Taylor, a prolific runner and great zone read guy, would magically just stop doing those things, you, my friend, are the deeply misinformed one. It's a playcall issue, and an issue where Beck is trying to make the team Kansas 07 when we're not.

i'm a Martinez supporter but I will be glad when he is gone next year just so I don't have to listen to the constant bashing on Martinez by some people who think that everything is his fault. did he play a good 4 quarters yesterday nope he didn't, but there is plenty of blame to go around and not all of it should fall on a guy who threw 3 TDs, true he isn't running the ball effectively so far this year but if that is because of injury than the coaches should sit him and put one of the other QBs in there to play, more of a coaching problem in my opinion than on Martinez

That is a pretty good breakdown of my thoughts as well.

• Fire 2

This is a good post. Just like after Ganz left (who some though was too limited) and the majority missed him, the same will likely be true with Martinez. Hopefully Armstrong/Stanton are better than Ganz's successors (Lee/Spano/Green) so we don't have to feel the impact so much, but it will still be nice once Martinez finally gets his applause.

• Fire 1

AA, I don't think Taylor has ever had the reputation of a guy who made the right reads all the time on ZR plays. It was always more about what he can do with the ball once the opening is there.

I still think it's the best weapon we've got in our arsenal. Hell, make the reads predetermined. We'll hit on a percentage. Didn't really stop him in 2010.

I thought Martinez had one of his worst games as a Husker. I think someone else should have at the very least, a shot to make Martinez understand he has to perform each and every time out.

Ummmmm what? He had no turnovers, and three touchdowns how does that even qualify as a bad game? Taylor did what he had to do to win this game. You can blame Beck for what I believe was his worst games as a playcaller. You can't be scared to run the ball even if they have guys close to the line, you have big ol Imani Cross in that backfield looking to power through some Bruin defenders.

Now I agree with the OP, if Taylor is wearing a boot he is clearly hurt. Let him rest his injury, and let RKIII or Tommy start the game. They don't need to be special we have plenty of other playmakers on this team.

He had a bad game. To sit here and say Taylor played well just because you saw some numbers is just not telling the whole story. You state how well taylor played then you say we should have run the ball more in the bect sentence. I'd say that's pretty telling.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I thought Taylor had a great game by any means, but I don't think he had a bad game. Especially not bad enough to be blamed for the loss. Cross had 3 carries the whole game...averaging 6 yards a carry. Take away Taylor's sacks and we were averaging over 4 yards a carry. 4 yards per play gets you a first down, and when you have a lead after half time all you need to do is get first downs and milk that clock. But Beck tried to be smarter than everyone in the stadium by not sticking with what worked, and comes out looking like a fool. If he had just stuck with the runs up the gut with Cross, and the play action pass downfield we would've had a lot more success on offense. I wouldn't go as far as to say we would've won because we all know...our defense was atrocious in that 2nd half.

When was the last time he was a running threat? Not this season, at least. I don't agree. He isn't running for huge yardage, but he's still being a running threat in the fact that he's extending pass plays with his legs very well (many of our biggest plays this year have been off his scrambles, remember Jake Long's catch against Wyoming?).

When did we throw a screen? I don't see your agenda behind this question, but we throw short passes a lot, and though most aren't technically screens, Bell and Turner get a lot of screen-like passes. What's your point?

Do you think Taylor can pick apart a defense with his arm? Yes, wholeheartedly. He just went 3TD-0int yesterday and is 9-1 on the season, after all. In depth though, he goes through his reads very well now as a senior, he has more than adequate short yardage accuracy, and is one of the best at extending the play with his feet.

Do you trust Taylor to pick apart a defense with his arm? Look at the above question and answer.

You do realize, UCLA, Wisconsin, Georgia, South Carolina, Wyoming, etc. have all said that they just want Taylor to throw into coverage, because he sucks at it. And he played extremely well versus UCLA, Wisconsin (regular season 2012), and Georgia. He didn't play bad versus Wyoming or South Carolina either. It's not his fault our team as a whole just wasn't as good as these opponents.

I really think you and others are extremely overreacting after a loss. Calm down and remember that Martinez is far and away one of our best players.

So the last time you saw him as a running threat was GAME 1? Okay. What about UCLA? 10 rushes -13 yards. What a threat. His legs aren't a threat scrambling around in the backfield trying to find open receivers as he hardly keeps his eyes downfield. His legs are effective STRAIGHT running.

When we do get blitzed, it blows up our offense. If they run blitz us all the time, if we countered even once a game, they'd have something to think about. Taylor's throwing motion isn't great to throw a screen. Hard for him to get it over outstretched arms. Bell and Turner on a quick throw is a lot different then a designed RB screen that would take a lot of heat off of him. This is on Beck as well.

You're completely delusional if you actually believe what you just said here. CLEARLY, he did not PICK APART UCLA'S defense yesterday. WTF were you watching? Look at our second half numbers again. Wow. Unbelievable. Most importantly, we didn't win with him "picking apart" a defense. Furthermore, if he was picking apart their defense, I think they would've ran more than 3 or 4 simple defenses, don't you? I'd hope so. He hardly goes through all of his reads... have you seen him vs Kellogg at reading a defense and going through his progressions? I can't believe you're defending this, and I'm even a little disappointed I'm responding.

If your QB is ineffective, yes it is his fault, because it is HIS offense that is failing to move the ball. Georgia game is a perfect example, thank you for brining that up.

He threw 2 INTs and had a sub 40 QB rating. Aaron Murray, on the other hand, picked apart our defense and had a 90 QBR. In that game, you can tell the different CLEARLY between a pocket passing QB going through progressions who can PICK APART a defense vs. Taylor.

Oh, shut up with your, I live in Oregon but have connections to the team BS. I don't care. Your so naive to the fact that the game and it's faults at the end lie with the coaches. If you think Taylor, a prolific runner and great zone read guy, would magically just stop doing those things, you, my friend, are the deeply misinformed one. It's a playcall issue, and an issue where Beck is trying to make the team Kansas 07 when we're not.

Why don't you go tweet some more recruits and try to go through the recruiting process vicariously through them some more, since that is apparently the only thing you are good at. Get off your high horse. You know nothing about me or who I am or what I stand for. If you don't care, why does it matter? It clearly does bother you, as you've taken it to a personal level now. Which I am more than glad to destroy you and your weak bullsh#t in the woodshed. I will live either way, but if you got something you want to get off your chest, start something up in the shed, I'll gladly partake in verbally destroying your bullsh#t piece by piece. You're a knucklehead.

I've said playcalling is an issue, but so is Taylor changing plays from a run to a pass, or using the zone read and ALWAYS going for the built in pass option. I said Beck needs to be fired OR Taylor needs to be benched. Taylor is HOLDING US BACK IN HIS CURRENT STATE. You think Beck, a smart man, is dumb enough to tell him to NOT RUN? Thats like telling Johnny Manziel to stand in the pocket and pass. It simply isn't true.

When was the last time he was a running threat? Not this season, at least. I don't agree. He isn't running for huge yardage, but he's still being a running threat in the fact that he's extending pass plays with his legs very well (many of our biggest plays this year have been off his scrambles, remember Jake Long's catch against Wyoming?).

When did we throw a screen? I don't see your agenda behind this question, but we throw short passes a lot, and though most aren't technically screens, Bell and Turner get a lot of screen-like passes. What's your point?

Do you think Taylor can pick apart a defense with his arm? Yes, wholeheartedly. He just went 3TD-0int yesterday and is 9-1 on the season, after all. In depth though, he goes through his reads very well now as a senior, he has more than adequate short yardage accuracy, and is one of the best at extending the play with his feet.

Do you trust Taylor to pick apart a defense with his arm? Look at the above question and answer.

You do realize, UCLA, Wisconsin, Georgia, South Carolina, Wyoming, etc. have all said that they just want Taylor to throw into coverage, because he sucks at it. And he played extremely well versus UCLA, Wisconsin (regular season 2012), and Georgia. He didn't play bad versus Wyoming or South Carolina either. It's not his fault our team as a whole just wasn't as good as these opponents.

I really think you and others are extremely overreacting after a loss. Calm down and remember that Martinez is far and away one of our best players.

So the last time you saw him as a running threat was GAME 1? Okay. -.- The Wyoming example was just that. An example. He's done the same exact thing in the two games since. What about UCLA? 10 rushes -13 yards. What a threat. Are you really trying to beat around the point I'm making? He's still being a running threat, it's just in another way (extending plays behind the line of scrimmage). His legs aren't a threat scrambling around in the backfield trying to find open receivers as he hardly keeps his eyes downfield. His legs are effective STRAIGHT running. Well anyone could tell you that's obviously not true. He's quickest while running in a straight line, but he's great at extending plays. In just the last half a dozen games, see Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, See Wyoming 2013, see UCLA 2013.

When we do get blitzed, it blows up our offense. If they run blitz us all the time, if we countered even once a game, they'd have something to think about. Taylor's throwing motion isn't great to throw a screen. Hard for him to get it over outstretched arms. Bell and Turner on a quick throw is a lot different then a designed RB screen that would take a lot of heat off of him. This is on Beck as well.

You're completely delusional if you actually believe what you just said here. CLEARLY, he did not PICK APART UCLA'S defense yesterday. WTF were you watching? Look at our second half numbers again. Wow. Unbelievable. Most importantly, we didn't win with him "picking apart" a defense. Furthermore, if he was picking apart their defense, I think they would've ran more than 3 or 4 simple defenses, don't you? I'd hope so. He hardly goes through all of his reads... have you seen him vs Kellogg at reading a defense and going through his progressions? I can't believe you're defending this, and I'm even a little disappointed I'm responding.

If your QB is ineffective, yes it is his fault, because it is HIS offense that is failing to move the ball. Georgia game is a perfect example, thank you for brining that up.

He threw 2 INTs and had a sub 40 QB rating. Aaron Murray, on the other hand, picked apart our defense and had a 90 QBR. In that game, you can tell the different CLEARLY between a pocket passing QB going through progressions who can PICK APART a defense vs. Taylor.

After making those edits, I stopped. If you truly don't believe Taylor (withstanding injury) shouldn't be starting for us this year, and isn't a good QB option, then you have no clue what you're talking about and not worth conversing with on this subject.

Wow. Here I go. Rant time. And it's not gonna be what you would normally expect from me.

First off, I was furious from the opening kickoff of our playcalling. What Beck did yesterday from start to finish is just mind boggling (well, maybe not mind boggling, becuase this kind of ridiculousness has become way too common). Trying to use Taylor as a pass first qb and all. I just didnt understand. And then the type of passes. Short dink and dunk. I thought we were watchin 2004 all over again. The only time it appeared effective is when Kenny Bell took matters into his own hands and turned a negative 2 yard route into a 15 yard gain time and time again. When we stretched the field (td passes to Enunwa and Bell) it was clearly obvious that UCLA did not have the personell to deal with our deep receiving core. But yet we refused to stretch the field whatsoever beyond the 21-3 lead, with agitated me greatly. Where were all the wrinkles? Where was the "turnin Taylor loose" that we expected. I would like to ask Bo and Beck first hand "guys, WHAT THE HELL ARE WE HOLDING BACK FOR". This was the BIG game we were preppin for. Who give's a f#*k about Michigan and so on. Let's play for now. I really believe this is a mentality within the staff. And it hurts. I just wish for once, we could play for today and just do what we do. I watched other games yesterday and last night, and saw teams appear to just run what they run, and follow their identity, regardless of the competition.

Which brings me to my point on Taylor Martinez. He's been a great player for us. I believe at times he's beein shorthanded from lack of defense, to lack of Oline and so on. Yesterday he was extremely handicapped due to lack of savy of an Offensive coordinator. The playcalling did not whatsoever play to the strengths that we as fans have easily identified of this unit the first two games. It also turned Taylor into something he's not, but into something he's not even close to competent in doing. If we're gonna play offense as we did yesterday, Ron Kellogg is a better choice at qb. And I dont know if it's even close it's so obvious. He throws a better ball, and if you watch his play in the spring game, he is constantly looking around and progressing through choices. He just has a better mental grasp in a multiple choice route combination. No mention of Tommy Armstrong yet. That's coming in a bit.

Now the intriguing part in my eyes regarding Taylor Martinez. I really dont want to throw this kid under the bus. It's his senior season. He's put in obvious work and is a fantastic young man. But what I really noticed yesterday immediately, is he still cant handle the "moment" or the "spotlight". Over throwing his first few passes. He just appeared to be a little overwhelmed again by the pressure, the moment, and the weight of the game. Now, he did settle in much quicker than he used to, but over time, and especially when he was called on to make plays, he just couldnt get it done.

Now it takes a turn. He shows up at the post-game press conference with a boot on his foot. Now, I'm no doctor, but I've sprained and twisted ankley. I've broken toes and so on. And I'm assuming that the use of a boot means a pretty signifficant injury to the foot, even if it is "precautionary". Taylor publicly says it was from prior to the game. Now, if he's hurt going into the game and the coaches know it, and his #1 skill-running-is self-neutralized, why is he in the game? Or why didnt we lean on our stable of backs a bit more? Or, put in Tommy Armstrong and start getting him rolling? Or Ron Kellog to handle Beck's Watson attack? But I'm not the coach, so I dont really know. I dont see these guys in practice everyday.

Next point. Coaches didnt know about Taylor's foot (but Beck's playcalling suggests they did) which leads me to ask one gigantic question. What the hell is going on under the north stadium?

Lastly, this was a full team loss. From Bo, all the way to the waterboys/girls. But at this point, my disappointment in the offense is so severe, and so incredible that I just dont know where to go from here. My faith in this staff and Bo has been severly hurt. I'm not totally on the "fire Bo" wagon, becuase I cant get myself to stress over something that will no way in hell happen for another 3 months regardless what happens, so I just sit back quietly and worry about what's next. I'll read and entertain the ideas of new coaches, which I used to just ignore and not even acknowledge.

Honestly, I truely believe we're gonna win our 9-10 games per current status quo. But I'm not gonna allow myself to be sucked back into the kool-aid party as I was last year after the 6 straight wins, or like I was this fall camp. I require obvious and consistent improvement and progress in all areas. I will not be paying attention to the scoreboard. It will be details within the game. And i also require a solid win against Northwestern and at worst, and competitive and competent showing at Ann Arbor (if it is a loss) for me to get back on the faith train. The scary part is, after watching games yesterday and last night, Purdue and Illinois are not the givens we once thought they were. it's gonna be an interesting next month and half.

Right on! Excellent post!

- "from start to finish is just mind boggling" ..... yep

- "Ron Kellogg is a better choice at qb" ..... totally agreed

- "Purdue and Illinois are not the givens we once thought they were. it's gonna be an interesting next month and half" .... I'm curious too

My patience is running low. Hard-fought losses are generally okay but embarrassing losses especially national TV? NO !!!!!

So much like Martinez was not Wats, now he is not Becks. I ASSume Martinez plays because of Bo?

I'll be glad to talk about it further in PMs, but more or less, yes. Bo hitched his wagon to Taylor as a freshman. How do you think it would reflect on his decision making that he is benching a 4th year starting QB for not being good enough, when that was his first major decision? Not to mention how loyal Bo is. He treats the kids like family. It's like telling your oldest child he isn't getting it done, so I'm going to put your little brother in because he is better than you now.

So the last time you saw him as a running threat was GAME 1? Okay. -.- The Wyoming example was just that. An example. He's done the same exact thing in the two games since. What about UCLA? 10 rushes -13 yards. What a threat. Are you really trying to beat around the point I'm making? He's still being a running threat, it's just in another way (extending plays behind the line of scrimmage). His legs aren't a threat scrambling around in the backfield trying to find open receivers as he hardly keeps his eyes downfield. His legs are effective STRAIGHT running. Well anyone could tell you that's obviously not true. He's quickest while running in a straight line, but he's great at extending plays. In just the last half a dozen games, see Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, See Wyoming 2013, see UCLA 2013.

After making those edits, I stopped. If you truly don't believe Taylor (withstanding injury) shouldn't be starting for us this year, and isn't a good QB option, then you have no clue what you're talking about and not worth conversing with on this subject.

I truly believe, Taylor, if he refuses to be a legitimate running threat, is not our best option. CORRECT.

I wouldn't start him but I think Tommy should start seeing some snaps when the game is still in doubt in the upcoming weeks. He's one of the QBs of the future and we might need him to step in for Taylor this season at some point. Taylor has already been banged up twice this season. May give him a chance to heal up as well.

Taylor does some good things but he's not a good decision maker, especially when you factor in that this is his 4th year starting.

Wow. Here I go. Rant time. And it's not gonna be what you would normally expect from me.

First off, I was furious from the opening kickoff of our playcalling. What Beck did yesterday from start to finish is just mind boggling (well, maybe not mind boggling, becuase this kind of ridiculousness has become way too common). Trying to use Taylor as a pass first qb and all. I just didnt understand. And then the type of passes. Short dink and dunk. I thought we were watchin 2004 all over again. The only time it appeared effective is when Kenny Bell took matters into his own hands and turned a negative 2 yard route into a 15 yard gain time and time again. When we stretched the field (td passes to Enunwa and Bell) it was clearly obvious that UCLA did not have the personell to deal with our deep receiving core. But yet we refused to stretch the field whatsoever beyond the 21-3 lead, with agitated me greatly. Where were all the wrinkles? Where was the "turnin Taylor loose" that we expected. I would like to ask Bo and Beck first hand "guys, WHAT THE HELL ARE WE HOLDING BACK FOR". This was the BIG game we were preppin for. Who give's a f#*k about Michigan and so on. Let's play for now. I really believe this is a mentality within the staff. And it hurts. I just wish for once, we could play for today and just do what we do. I watched other games yesterday and last night, and saw teams appear to just run what they run, and follow their identity, regardless of the competition.

Which brings me to my point on Taylor Martinez. He's been a great player for us. I believe at times he's beein shorthanded from lack of defense, to lack of Oline and so on. Yesterday he was extremely handicapped due to lack of savy of an Offensive coordinator. The playcalling did not whatsoever play to the strengths that we as fans have easily identified of this unit the first two games. It also turned Taylor into something he's not, but into something he's not even close to competent in doing. If we're gonna play offense as we did yesterday, Ron Kellogg is a better choice at qb. And I dont know if it's even close it's so obvious. He throws a better ball, and if you watch his play in the spring game, he is constantly looking around and progressing through choices. He just has a better mental grasp in a multiple choice route combination. No mention of Tommy Armstrong yet. That's coming in a bit.

Now the intriguing part in my eyes regarding Taylor Martinez. I really dont want to throw this kid under the bus. It's his senior season. He's put in obvious work and is a fantastic young man. But what I really noticed yesterday immediately, is he still cant handle the "moment" or the "spotlight". Over throwing his first few passes. He just appeared to be a little overwhelmed again by the pressure, the moment, and the weight of the game. Now, he did settle in much quicker than he used to, but over time, and especially when he was called on to make plays, he just couldnt get it done.

Now it takes a turn. He shows up at the post-game press conference with a boot on his foot. Now, I'm no doctor, but I've sprained and twisted ankley. I've broken toes and so on. And I'm assuming that the use of a boot means a pretty signifficant injury to the foot, even if it is "precautionary". Taylor publicly says it was from prior to the game. Now, if he's hurt going into the game and the coaches know it, and his #1 skill-running-is self-neutralized, why is he in the game? Or why didnt we lean on our stable of backs a bit more? Or, put in Tommy Armstrong and start getting him rolling? Or Ron Kellog to handle Beck's Watson attack? But I'm not the coach, so I dont really know. I dont see these guys in practice everyday.

Next point. Coaches didnt know about Taylor's foot (but Beck's playcalling suggests they did) which leads me to ask one gigantic question. What the hell is going on under the north stadium?

Lastly, this was a full team loss. From Bo, all the way to the waterboys/girls. But at this point, my disappointment in the offense is so severe, and so incredible that I just dont know where to go from here. My faith in this staff and Bo has been severly hurt. I'm not totally on the "fire Bo" wagon, becuase I cant get myself to stress over something that will no way in hell happen for another 3 months regardless what happens, so I just sit back quietly and worry about what's next. I'll read and entertain the ideas of new coaches, which I used to just ignore and not even acknowledge.

Honestly, I truely believe we're gonna win our 9-10 games per current status quo. But I'm not gonna allow myself to be sucked back into the kool-aid party as I was last year after the 6 straight wins, or like I was this fall camp. I require obvious and consistent improvement and progress in all areas. I will not be paying attention to the scoreboard. It will be details within the game. And i also require a solid win against Northwestern and at worst, and competitive and competent showing at Ann Arbor (if it is a loss) for me to get back on the faith train. The scary part is, after watching games yesterday and last night, Purdue and Illinois are not the givens we once thought they were. it's gonna be an interesting next month and half.

I agree.....with one cautionary exception. I think we'll see improvement from the young guys, but not the veterans. The veterans are what they are. The changes in personnel will make more of a difference, and they will be year over year. Two examples, Meredith and Compton. They were what they were, but Bando and Gregory are immediate improvements. I'm pretty sure Compton was our leading tackler last season and my guess he would be our lowest statistical leading tackler in recent years. He could simply not shed blocks the way he needed to in order to get to the ball carrier. As much as we microscope our defense, I like that Pelini mentioned that this offense has been disappointing each of the three games this season. I completely agree with your Martinez assessment. Good athlete. Not a leader.