Thank You BO

It's a good point, but our 2nd and 3rd QBs are just plain SOLID. I'm not going to say they are anywhere near as good as JFF, but there is a lot of talent flowing into BCS right now because of Sumlin.

You're right, of course, only time will tell, but I think we are on the right track.

that was going to be my point. not the manziel one, necessarily. just that we have seen a lot of programs get a new coach and seem to have turned the corner only to fall back down to earth. sumlin might be the guy, i hope he is, but it is too early to tell if he can sustain a successful program in the sec.

That's a valid point. I think my post was based on the assumption that he is the guy, which he is based on early returns. What I was trying to say was that I think Bo was the guy to bring Nebraska from a state of disrepair back to a respectful state, I just don't think he's the one to start bringing championships back to Lincoln. He's the bridge between a crappy program and a championship program.

It's a good point, but our 2nd and 3rd QBs are just plain SOLID. I'm not going to say they are anywhere near as good as JFF, but there is a lot of talent flowing into BCS right now because of Sumlin.

You're right, of course, only time will tell, but I think we are on the right track.

that was going to be my point. not the manziel one, necessarily. just that we have seen a lot of programs get a new coach and seem to have turned the corner only to fall back down to earth. sumlin might be the guy, i hope he is, but it is too early to tell if he can sustain a successful program in the sec.

That's a valid point. I think my post was based on the assumption that he is the guy, which he is based on early returns. What I was trying to say was that I think Bo was the guy to bring Nebraska from a state of disrepair back to a respectful state, I just don't think he's the one to start bringing championships back to Lincoln. He's the bridge between a crappy program and a championship program.

yeah, i get your point. i guess i was just thinking about my point this weekend and thought i would shoehorn it in here. i hope sumlin is the guy. i have always had a soft spot for aTm and would like to see an outsider become the power of the sec. also, cool to see aTm good and ut bad. makes it so much sweeter.

however, i still think bo could by the guy. i think that huskers have to accept what a steep learning curve there is and it is worth the wait, otherwise we might become tenn. just rifling through coaches with nothing to show for it except a lot of unpaid contracts.

i still think it is just a matter of getting the right players some experience and then we will start to see some success and consistency. imo.

I'm still surprised how many people seem to think there is no way we can win less than 8 or 9 games. Remember how close we were to 7-5 last year? With Taylor's health in question, Beck's inconsistency, and a young defense currently ranked 105th in the country, it isn't hard to imagine a 7-5 season. Look at Purdue, Minnesota and Illinois. They aren't the bottom feeders most of us predicted. If this team doesn't bounce back psychologically, it could get ugly. We could conceivably be underdogs in four straight games this season. When's the last time that happened? 2007 Missouri through Texas maybe, otherwise you'd have to go back to the early 60s I imagine.

I'm predicting 8-4, hoping for 9-3 and have Kool-Aid stored in the fridge to possibly get my hopes back toward 10-2. But 7-5 would seem to me an entirely reasonable prediction.

After watching the first 3 games, and seeing the continuation of last season into this one...I don't think anyone sees 8 or 9 wins as guaranteed. It just looks far more likely we get to 8 than only end up with 7. I would say though, at this point we are fairly evenly matched with an Illini team with 3 weeks to prep, a Purdue team on the road with 2 weeks to prep, Northwestern at home, Michigan State at home, Penn State away. Michigan, I think we are still pretty big dawgs...I'm writing off Akron. We'll could very well go 3-2 in those others and end up 7-5.

I'm still surprised how many people seem to think there is no way we can win less than 8 or 9 games. Remember how close we were to 7-5 last year? With Taylor's health in question, Beck's inconsistency, and a young defense currently ranked 105th in the country, it isn't hard to imagine a 7-5 season. Look at Purdue, Minnesota and Illinois. They aren't the bottom feeders most of us predicted. If this team doesn't bounce back psychologically, it could get ugly. We could conceivably be underdogs in four straight games this season. When's the last time that happened? 2007 Missouri through Texas maybe, otherwise you'd have to go back to the early 60s I imagine.

I'm predicting 8-4, hoping for 9-3 and have Kool-Aid stored in the fridge to possibly get my hopes back toward 10-2. But 7-5 would seem to me an entirely reasonable prediction.

No one is saying there's no way it cant happen. We (because I'm one of them) just happen to think it wont happen. It's speculation and opinion-not one bit different than yours (cue "I'm a realist" comment)

Bo knows football.

That's great...but Bo used up all of his eligibility, so what he knows takes a back seat to what his players know. So the question becomes can Bo coach football?

Bo might be a defensive genius, but it seems he can't coach defense.

TO and the current AD seem to disagree. When the AD agrees with you, BO will be gone.

That isn't happening.

Bo and the program will be fine. It took TO a good number of years and nearly getting canned in the late 70s to get NU back to where he inherited it... a national championship team.

Remember when TO couldn't win the big bowl games?? ;)

No one is saying there's no way it cant happen. We (because I'm one of them) just happen to think it wont happen. It's speculation and opinion-not one bit different than yours (cue "I'm a realist" comment)

I just wish the "realists" would come back and admit when they are wrong like last year after UCLA and OSU when we were going to go 7-5 and we went 10-2. Or, after Wis. and Wyoming when Georgia and UCLA were going to hang 70 and 800 yards on Nebraska.

If you don't mind me interjecting an A&M analogy, I see Bo as y'alls Mike Sherman.

Here's what I mean:

We had Fran. Fran was TURRIBLE. His recruiting was crap, he damaged our relationship with a lot of Texas HS coaches, and shat all over a lot of our traditions. He had a couple of flashes of greatness, but nothing panned out. Then we brought in Mike Sherman. He righted the ship. Recruiting got better, relationships improved, our traditions were honored, and the team started winning again. HE was never able to win the REALLY big games (although he did beat Texas a couple of times). He was never going to be the coach to win us championships, but he laid the foundation for a great team down the line...a team that Aggies are starting to see now with Kevin Sumlin.

This is the point where Nebraska is. Bo has repaired the damage done to the program by Callahan, but I just don't see him coaching y'all to a Natty or even a B1G Championship. It doesn't matter if he gets you to the CCG if you keep getting blown out. Bo is a good coach, but he's not a great coach, and he's not the coach to bring the Huskers to the next level. Like I said, he's your Sherman. What you need it to find your "Sumlin." Who is it that can take Nebraska to the next level?

IT seems simple enough, but finding the right coach is never easy.

Good comparison. While I think most of us believed Bo could bring us back to the championship days, years of 4 L are taking their toll and this year may be no different. We have talented player but we also have lost some good talent to other schools via recruiting and kids who leave the program. We haven't secured the difference makers on D - Bo's best results came wt BC's recruits. I don't think Bo has the answers - he's been great for stopping the decline in the program and stabilizing it, - integrity, student athletes emphasis, etc but he hasn't pulled it all together.

I just wish the "realists" would come back and admit when they are wrong like last year after UCLA and OSU when we were going to go 7-5 and we went 10-2. Or, after Wis. and Wyoming when Georgia and UCLA were going to hang 70 and 800 yards on Nebraska.

Because 600 yards 45 points and 500 yards 41 points are something to cheer? What a strange detail to be hung up on.

Because 600 yards 45 points and 500 yards 41 points are something to cheer? What a strange detail to be hung up on.

Speaking of being hung up on details, you seem to have it mapped out pretty good there. You took a discussion about overall record and turned it into yards and points of individual games. What was the average starting field position and the conversion pct of 3rd and more-than-5, by the way?

But there's one issue. Will Bo's Nebraska ever get as bad as Sherman's A&M was in his last year to pull the trigger.

See, this is the challenge. Bo will consistently have NU at 8-10 wins, which is good enough for most coach's to keep their jobs. It's the point ABOVE the "easy to fire" point but below the "easy to keep" point. I just think Nebraska needs a coach that can put y'all in a position to WIN championships.

I like Bo, I just don't think he's "the guy"

Right on the money. That's 8-10 win pergatory is what makes this whole thing so difficult.

I just want to say this is the most intelligent discussion about the current state of Nebraska football that I've read so far. Great points. Thanks to the OP for getting it started.

I'm torn. I like Bo a lot. He is building character into these young men that will last long after they hang up their football cleats. But we just seem to be 'spinning our wheels'. Two steps forward, one step back. Blah! I really want him to take constructive criticism and go with it. If that means changing his staff then so be it. However, I don't know if he will do that?

• Fire 1