Thank You BO

I've been reading through all these fire the staff threads and a lot of people are saying firing Bo and Co. will set us back 10 years. How so? Look @ tOSU. Meyer took a damaged program with nothing to play for and they went undefeated in his first season!!! With all the revenue the NU program has you would think we could afford a coach like that. Just open the wallet and make it so!!!! I have always been a Pelini supporter but after yet another epic meltdown on national TV. I can no longer support him. BURN THE WITCH!!!

He's done so many good things for his kids and for the program/university that I fiercely and passionately wish he would get it figured out and enjoy finishing out his career here with success and respect.

Just don't know if he's capable of it.

Great comment. This is where I'm at as well. I would much rather see Bo figure it out. He has done a lot of right on and especially off the field. I truly think the guy is a good guy. I also think he cares deeply about Nebraska, the players, and the tradition.

The thing that scares me most about this coaching situation aside from the defenses poor performances, is the repeated times we've heard about players quitting, or not having their head in the game. Kids that respect their coaching don't quit. They focus. They give their all. Especially when the coach is as passionate as Bo. You would think that would translate directly to his players. It's very troubling.

Bo's entire tenure, I believe he's had his hands in almost every aspect of what goes on on that field. Personally, I think sometimes a head coach has to relinquish duties to the assistants that are paid for a specific duty. It would be far easier if these assistants were not Bo's old friends. There need to be some fresh ideas brought in, and they need to be allowed to take shape on the field on Saturdays. IMO.

I hope he finds a way to make it happen soon.

If you don't mind me interjecting an A&M analogy, I see Bo as y'alls Mike Sherman.

Here's what I mean:

We had Fran. Fran was TURRIBLE. His recruiting was crap, he damaged our relationship with a lot of Texas HS coaches, and shat all over a lot of our traditions. He had a couple of flashes of greatness, but nothing panned out. Then we brought in Mike Sherman. He righted the ship. Recruiting got better, relationships improved, our traditions were honored, and the team started winning again. HE was never able to win the REALLY big games (although he did beat Texas a couple of times). He was never going to be the coach to win us championships, but he laid the foundation for a great team down the line...a team that Aggies are starting to see now with Kevin Sumlin.

This is the point where Nebraska is. Bo has repaired the damage done to the program by Callahan, but I just don't see him coaching y'all to a Natty or even a B1G Championship. It doesn't matter if he gets you to the CCG if you keep getting blown out. Bo is a good coach, but he's not a great coach, and he's not the coach to bring the Huskers to the next level. Like I said, he's your Sherman. What you need it to find your "Sumlin." Who is it that can take Nebraska to the next level?

IT seems simple enough, but finding the right coach is never easy.

Is it Sumlin or is it Maziel? Cam Newton made Chizek look like a genius. I like Sumlin don't get me wrong....but? Great QBs make good coaches look great. If we had Manziel we would be in the NC discussion as well. A&M gives up 600 yards and still makes a game out if it because of great QB play.

Switch Taylor Martinez and Johnny Football and well see which team looks better.

Bo knows football.

That's great...but Bo used up all of his eligibility, so what he knows takes a back seat to what his players know. So the question becomes can Bo coach football?

Teaching (and coaching is teaching) isn't about storage of information, it about moving information from the teacher to the student. Bo should aspire to being a delivery truck, not a warehouse. It isn't how much knowledge or skills Bo acquires or already has, it's about how much he can pass on to his players.

Bo never misses a chance to tell us all that he knows defense when He wins, and then tells us that his players can't do what they need to do when THEY lose. Bo might be a defensive genius, but it seems he can't coach defense.

Yeah, Michigan looked super great Saturday...at home...vs Akron? Come on. They were 4 yards away from losing

Actually 1 yard away

Timeframe:

2nd down: Pass complete for 14 yards. 3rd down @ Michigan 1.

3rd down: Rush for loss of 3 yards. 4th down @ Michigan 4.

4th down: Incomplete pass (not called defensive holding - home cooking)

I am convinced 80% mental, 20% physical

Tom Osborne made the right decision in hiring Bo, i have no doubt.

Remember Callahan? He took away the walk on program. He made our running QBs pass. He insulted Oklahoma Tom Osborne, and our fans. He ruined every record ever held in Nebraska. I remember watching fans wear bags over there heads in games out of disgrace. The list can go on.

There is a list of all the coaches hired the same year as Bo and Bo has the best record. He brought us back to winning seasons, to division championships and to conference championship games. He brought us respect back in the Big 12 and brought the walk on program back. He cleaned up off the field issues, and brought our athletes grades up to the highest mark ever in history. I have a lot of respect for what Bo has done and I think this week that deserves to be remembered. I think we are ready for another chapter in Nebraska football. However, I think Due to Bo's success we are not in the same situation we were in when We fired Callahan. If Bo does not return to Nebraska next season, I wish him the best and have confidence he could have success in his future endeavors.

I am pulling for a new coach in hopes of achieving greatness, but I think Bo deserves a big Thank You for bringing us this far.

Im starting to come around to this viewpoint

Just like Texas A&M- they got out from the bottom by ketting go of Mike Sherman- an Aggie who delivered them from the bowels of what Franchione left them

Sherman righted the ship- but they plateued

THEN they got Sumlin- who has won at every level AND taken A&M to next level in the SEC AND set them up to be a long time power

Sherman is still held in high regard for what he did and he exited very gracefully

If that goes down here- THAT is the blueprint

When I look at the state of our program, I think back to the saying Rome wasn't built in a day. Yes, 6 years is a long time, but the only coaches that have shown they can build a program in that amount of time, did it illegally. I'm willing to give him time.

I see your point, and there is some legitimacy involved, but how long do we wait? Not only that, because it would be one thing waiting while seeing signs of progress, but how long do we wait when at best we seem to be finding a status quo and at worst backsliding?

Bill Snyder, Chris Peterson, Brett Bielema, Dabo Sweeney, David Shaw, Bob Stoops, Mark Richt, Brady Hoke, and plenty others have either achieved or maintained higher levels of succes in less time while (according to educated public perception) running clean programs.

When I look at the state of our program, I think back to the saying Rome wasn't built in a day. Yes, 6 years is a long time, but the only coaches that have shown they can build a program in that amount of time, did it illegally. I'm willing to give him time.

I see your point, and there is some legitimacy involved, but how long do we wait? Not only that, because it would be one thing waiting while seeing signs of progress, but how long do we wait when at best we seem to be finding a status quo and at worst backsliding?

Bill Snyder, Chris Peterson, Brett Bielema, Dabo Sweeney, David Shaw, Bob Stoops, Mark Richt, Brady Hoke, and plenty others have either achieved or maintained higher levels of succes in less time while (according to educated public perception) running clean programs.

Boise State was successful before Chris Peterson arrival. Inherited from Dan Hawkins program :o. Actually, I voted Dan for the new Huskers HC after Solich canned. Opps! At the time, I never heard of Bill Callahan.

"It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals! Go play intramurals, brother!"

I always liked it ! Also "I'm 40" rant

He's done so many good things for his kids and for the program/university that I fiercely and passionately wish he would get it figured out and enjoy finishing out his career here with success and respect.

Just don't know if he's capable of it.

My god. my god. So simple. Yet so accurate.

Until yesterday I never in a million years wouldve thought the final sentence in the quoted comment. But I do now. And it's just really scaring the sh#t out of me, because in everything else, Bo really is perfect for Nebraska.

These times really are testing us as a fanbase and our perspective. But regardless, the head football coaches job is to win football games. I just dont know where I stand anymore in the hate-Bo/love-Bo saga anymore.

It's not a one side or the other thing. I don't hate Bo at all, I think he's a good guy who does a lot of good things... but something is missing. I'd love to see him swallow his pride and ask for outside help, if he can do that, I'd love to see him stay for another year or two and see if he can fix the problems. However so far he has seemed either defiant or insecure and only wants to hire guys who don't seem to challenge him, and if he's the same after this season, he might need to go.

It's a good point, but our 2nd and 3rd QBs are just plain SOLID. I'm not going to say they are anywhere near as good as JFF, but there is a lot of talent flowing into BCS right now because of Sumlin.

You're right, of course, only time will tell, but I think we are on the right track.

that was going to be my point. not the manziel one, necessarily. just that we have seen a lot of programs get a new coach and seem to have turned the corner only to fall back down to earth. sumlin might be the guy, i hope he is, but it is too early to tell if he can sustain a successful program in the sec.

I'm still surprised how many people seem to think there is no way we can win less than 8 or 9 games. Remember how close we were to 7-5 last year? With Taylor's health in question, Beck's inconsistency, and a young defense currently ranked 105th in the country, it isn't hard to imagine a 7-5 season. Look at Purdue, Minnesota and Illinois. They aren't the bottom feeders most of us predicted. If this team doesn't bounce back psychologically, it could get ugly. We could conceivably be underdogs in four straight games this season. When's the last time that happened? 2007 Missouri through Texas maybe, otherwise you'd have to go back to the early 60s I imagine.

I'm predicting 8-4, hoping for 9-3 and have Kool-Aid stored in the fridge to possibly get my hopes back toward 10-2. But 7-5 would seem to me an entirely reasonable prediction.