Papuchis: "I was stunned"

I just read some post game notes from Pap and Kaz, seems like they plan on using more 1 gap and pressure more. This might be what alot of people have been calling for. I would think it would help against alot of running teams in the B10. :wasted

From owh:

"You can't keep doing things that guys can't do," Papuchis said. "Experimenting time is over. ...

"We gotta figure out what the identity of this defense is gonna be. We may have to play a little bit different than we played in the past. We may have to be a more pressure team or a more gapped-out team."

"It simplifies the scheme," Papuchis said. "But the question you've got to ask yourself is are you good enough to play that way? Down after down. Can you just play single-high, gap out and pressure? You have to be pretty talented to be able to live that way every play."

It actually may not be better against the run, but that is assuming you can play two gap. Which they can't. We go to what Pap is talking about we are going to put even upon to even more pressure on the back 7 the we do already. Gotta try something. Glad to see them considering adjustments.

ok, which is it...piss poor recruiting/players or wrong scheme? doing the same thing over and over, for 2 years now, and expecting a different result...I say its coaching and f'd up scheme.

I don't KNOW the answer no poster on here does or they would be getting paid millions to be a coach (no matter how much they would like to think they do). I THINK it is time for a fundamental shift in philosophy in regards to run fits and gap responsibility, it appears the staff agrees or more likely I agree with them. Believe it or not guys, they know more than we do.

RUN THE BALL. STOP THE RUN. WIN THE GAME.

This is still true, especially in the B1G.

I agree that the 1st priority should be stopping the run. And while the D coached may know more than me, they don't know more than the coaches on the 105 teams with better ranked defenses.

looked it up for ya...Michigan defense gave up a total of 206 yards....there is no way in hell our D plays that well against anyone for the rest of the year...that is a defense, my friend.

This is laughable right here. One week after almost losing to Akron, they give up 21 points to the juggernaut that is 0-3 UConn and that is defense? Smh

don't know about turnovers or short field for UCON, but 3 scores and 21 points can't contain very many long drives...I will take MU Defense, you may keep ours......

Oh give me a break. Did you see how many short fields UCLA had last week? And people on this board said you can't blame the offense for the defense not being able to stop anyone. But its okay to make that same excuse for Michigan defense, but not Nebraska?

And I will keep our defense bc they have the potential to be very good in the coming years. If you can't see that, you need to go get your eyes checked.

I would trade our defense for any top 50 defense, including Michigan's. I would trade our Defense coaches for any not named Cosgrove.

Reality of what? Almost losing to some of the worst teams in FBS? Michigan looked impressive against ND until everyone figured out how overrated that team is, so now that win doesn't look as good. And they have looked like complete ass the last two weeks. If that is good to you, im glad I dont live in your "reality"

Because close games against crappy teams never happen? We have a handful of those.

Okay, so why are we pretending that Michigan is all of a sudden good. The fact that they have had two close games in a row against two crappy teams means they are just as "bad" as we are, does it not? They're just bad in a different way.

But I don't think either team is bad, just trying to figure out who they are.

I think there was an expectation that they would be good on well they played and beat Notre Dame but most know that anything can happen. Personally i didn't think Michigan would be that much better than last year.

I don't think Notre Dame is any worse than UCLA

If the D keeps giving up yards will this be the worst defense? even worse than Callahan's? First four games don't give much hope and Bo fixing things doesn't happen.

If the D keeps giving up yards will this be the worst defense? even worse than Callahan's? First four games don't give much hope and Bo fixing things doesn't happen.

This D is perilously close to the infamous defense of 2007. (within 15 yards a game).

That is NOT a neighborhood we ought to be inhabiting.

The really sad part in all of this is that we haven't even gotten to the meat of our schedule against the tougher teams. I believe we played our fair share of top 25 ranked teams in 2007.

Saw this little nugget in OWH today:

Pelini/Papuchis last six games: 514 yards per game.

Cosgrove's last six games: 512 yards per game.

Also surrendering eight yards per play on first down and letting opponents get a first down, on 1st and 10, 35% of the time.

Something else I looked up - since 2009, these are the average number of yards NU has given up per run:

2009 - 2.8

2010 - 3.9

2011 - 4.0

2012 - 4.8

2013 - 4.9 through four games.