Forde-Yard Dash

np_husker

The steroid comment I believe stems from the 80's. Didn't Papa Steinkuhler a few years back talk about the rampant steroid use in the early 80's? As far as I'm concerned things that TO had have died. The walkon program is never going to be what it was when TO coached. It has nothing to do with Bo or the program but rather the economics of college. A couple of decades ago, parents could better afford their kid's college education while they played for NU. Today and looking into the future, this just isn't in the cards. Why rack up 80-100 grand in college loan debt when you can go play at Chadron, Kearney, etc. for a free education? Most of the walkons are good enough athletes to play at a lower division while getting a scholarship. The article also mentioned our facilities while TO was coach. This edge has died as well considering all the top schools have elite facilities.

However, good/great coaches can still find a way to get it done. Snyder has and is doing it at KState. If we all think it's hard to lure top recruits to Lincoln, try recruiting them to Manhattan. If one goes back over the last decade and looks at the coaches of those teams that won the NC, I can really only see two of those coaches having more success here at NU than Bo is having. Does anyone really think the likes of Gene Chizek or Mack Brown having Bo's success here? I don't even think Les Miles would have the success Bo is having here. The two that could probably do better would be Saban or Meyer.

I think we can all agree that the recruiting has gotten better. For better or worse, Bo needs at least another three years. I just don't think there is a silver bullet hire we could get to put us back in the NC hunt immediately.

• Fire 1

The only reason the walkon program is what it was then is because our strength program was bar none the best in the country. Not just in college sports altogether. I've read that Boyd Epley and the nutrition staff were so innovative in football (and more vaguely, sports in general) strength and conditioning and the proper nutrition to along with it, that there are still programs today, even at professional levels, that have not yet reached this stage, either by incompetence or ignorance. These words are of Epley and the nutritionist of the day, Bryan? Baily from the new book, Anatomy of an era. The advantages we had in those days took average football players and made them athletic freaks in comparison to other programs. Nebraska wasnt just ahead in these aspects, but the gap was so wide that there are still programs trying to just implement the basics.

Instead of Forde acknowledging Nebraska's innovation and hard work in these aspects in trying to get a leg up on the competition, and giving them credit for paving the road in the way S&C and nutrition are used today, he just throw's out "steroids", like the jeaous and envious peice of sh#t he really is. f#*k him.

• Fire 3

The only reason the walkon program is what it was then is because our strength program was bar none the best in the country. Not just in college sports altogether. I've read that Boyd Epley and the nutrition staff were so innovative in football (and more vaguely, sports in general) strength and conditioning and the proper nutrition to along with it, that there are still programs today, even at professional levels, that have not yet reached this stage, either by incompetence or ignorance. These words are of Epley and the nutritionist of the day, Bryan? Baily from the new book, Anatomy of an era. The advantages we had in those days took average football players and made them athletic freaks in comparison to other programs. Nebraska wasnt just ahead in these aspects, but the gap was so wide that there are still programs trying to just implement the basics.

Instead of Forde acknowledging Nebraska's innovation and hard work in these aspects, and giving them credit for paving the road in the way S&C and nutrition are used today, he just throw's out "steroids", like the jeaous and envious peice of sh#t he really is. f#*k him.

Couldn't agree more. Because you know even if the steroid issue was true, which I am not disputing it, other schools were doing it too. So what does it mean? Michigan, Ohio State, Bama are STILL doing it? And that's okay?

P.O.S.

If one goes back over the last decade and looks at the coaches of those teams that won the NC, I can really only see two of those coaches having more success here at NU than Bo is having. Does anyone really think the likes of Gene Chizek or Mack Brown having Bo's success here? I don't even think Les Miles would have the success Bo is having here. The two that could probably do better would be Saban or Meyer.

that was a really good post, but this was my favorite point. it really puts everything into perspective. i had an argument with a friend awhile back (~2010) about how overrated brown was. and the point i stuck with was how much he was under-performing. i think bo would be playing in mnc's at texas (at least have more big 12 champs.) and i think brown would be worse than callahan up here.

Well, following that 90's run, you can bet your ass that the NCAA pryed and picked at that era looking for any sort of violation they could find, and probably at the request of every other school in the country. Just as we look at Bama now with envy and jealousy (dont kid ourselves, that's really all it is) when someone has that amount of unprecedented success, there's this general feeling that theyre doing something wrong. Nothing was EVER found on Nebraska. And never will be, yet, in the light of this Bama run-even though it appears to be obvious there is wrongdoing, yet no proof-there is a total lack of acknowledgement of how Nebraska not only completely dominated the time period, but also how they paved the way for how college football is gone about today. How seriously it is taken in all aspects NOT pertaining between the white lines. It's a crock of sh#t. It really is. One the main excuses being thrown out for this lack of acknowledgement is "pre-BCS era". It took ESPN 3 1/2 quarters to acknowledge that what Bama was doing against Notre Dame was not unprecedented, but rather just equal to (and I dont even think theyre equal until they win it all this year. We never lost home games in November and had to back our way into the title game thanks to obvious media bias for our conference strenght and freak upsets) what Nebraska accomplished.

Steroids, eh? Thanks for the little kick in the nuts there Forde, you doosh.

he might be a doosh but he's right on with what he said. although i think that stuff was going on pretty much everywhere back then.

Maybe not as much as many people think- especially here

I played football with a guy and knew him pretty well from age 12 to 24. He went on to play at NU as a FB as a walkon and then schollie player

He was pretty big, heavy into lifting and on roids

NU wouldnt touch him with a 10 foot pole until he got off them, was conditional for him even being allowed to try out. He ended up playing here and then they tested him very regular

Im going to leave it at that. NU didnt want any of its players on roids and was vigilant to make sure they werent. No chance they encouraged it.

NU was flat out ahead of its time when it came to Boyd and his strength and nutrition program. That gap has narrowed, that knowledge is everywhere now.

But the excuse makers will try and make excuses as to why NU dominated.

The only reason the walkon program is what it was then is because our strength program was bar none the best in the country.

:confucius

image.png

But seriously, that isn't the only reason. It likely was a very big part, but not the only reason.

Nice catch. Dumb of me to put "only" reason. Youre right. It wasnt. But like you said it was an awfully big reason.

Steroids might have been used sparingly during offseasons and such, but that wouldve been more detrimental than anything once you got off them for the season. Outside the possibility of a few isolated instances, there was no steriod use during the 90's. Supplements? Sure. Get the new book by Paul Koch, volume 1. Go straight to the chapter of Boyd Epley and Bryan Baily. Bailey implemented some very innovative supplements and replenishments of the time are still a secret today.

Considering Chizek's tenure at Iowa State, I think we know how well he'd do here as well. I really don't see Bob Stoops having any better success here either. All I hear is how we have the money to get the silver bullet coach to come here. My point is that there just isn't a silver bullet hire out there. Plenty of coaches out there that have won championships wouldn't be any better here than Bo has been. I might even be giving Meyer too much credit as he's only gone on to programs that were a recruiting hotbed. There's a reason he turned down his dream job of Notre Dame. Coaching stability as much as anything led to the success of the 90's. TO kept tweaking and working until he found gold. I was against the dismissal of Solich. I'm against the dismissal of Bo barring a complete and total meltdown.

• Fire 1

Steroids might have been used sparingly during offseasons and such, but that wouldve been more detrimental than anything once you got off them for the season. Outside the possibility of a few isolated instances, there was no steriod use during the 90's. Supplements? Sure. Get the new book by Paul Koch, volume 1. Go straight to the chapter of Boyd Epley and Bryan Baily. Bailey implemented some very innovative supplements and replenishments of the time are still a secret today.

Correct

I was at a clinic once where Boyd talked about kids who during certain training circuits were gaining a pound a day. Couldnt believe what I heard, had him repeat it, yep a pound a day of good mass. Obviously those specific training segments/circuits/movements/reps/weight werent something they could do for 30 days straight, but it was revolutionary at the time.

. I might even be giving Meyer too much credit as he's only gone on to programs that were a recruiting hotbed.

Urban was successful at Bowling Green and Utah, not considered by many to be successful progams or in recruting hot beds. The guy, like him or not is a great coach.

I for one am happy he is in the B1G

Considering Chizek's tenure at Iowa State, I think we know how well he'd do here as well. I really don't see Bob Stoops having any better success here either. All I hear is how we have the money to get the silver bullet coach to come here. My point is that there just isn't a silver bullet hire out there. Plenty of coaches out there that have won championships wouldn't be any better here than Bo has been. I might even be giving Meyer too much credit as he's only gone on to programs that were a recruiting hotbed. There's a reason he turned down his dream job of Notre Dame. Coaching stability as much as anything led to the success of the 90's. TO kept tweaking and working until he found gold. I was against the dismissal of Solich. I'm against the dismissal of Bo barring a complete and total meltdown.

Urban was successful at Bowling Green and Utah, not considered by may to be successful progams or in recruting hot beds. The guy, like him or not is a great coach.

agreed. and now he has so much cache it does not even matter.