EA College Football Game Cancelled

I find it interesting that two of the major discussions around college football are:

a) Players should not expect compensation for a company using their likeness in a product and making millions off of it.

b) Players should be paid to play college football because of the sacrifices they give to the program.

What I find odd is that I know people who think Keller is an idiot for ruining their fun playing a game on their xbox but then turn around and think its a crime that colleges can't pay the players for what they do on Saturdays in the fall.

Those two views don't go together.

• Fire 2

the three main plaintiffs, O'bannon Keller and dude I can't remember, O'bannon was supposed to be an nba stud, Keller probably still has the ego that he could take Brady's job, anyone think these two are just bitter cause their lives didn't give them millions the way they wanted/ expected and this is their grab at riches and more attention

• 2 weeks later...

Fine pay them. But don't them give them a scholarship. There's already too much emphasis on non-academics in college...of course college is now a big joke anyway...just a big business grabbing as much money from the government in the form of student loans but that's for another discussion.

The EA games are awful now anyway...

Meh. I think it'll be replaced. There was too much money in it, someone just needs to draw up a more generic version that doesn't use player likenesses and they're golden.

There is not nearly as much money as you think. NCAA sports games are coasters outside the US, they don't even get released, and the market time for them is very short. No one is going out to buy a 3 year old NCAA football game. It was always a marginal line developed for a niche audience. Hence the reason why a lot of the parts of the games have been more or less a year old Madden build.

And its not just player likenesses, the conferences, and hence the schools themselves, will not be lending any names or logos to the game. Are you going to buy a game featuring the Nebraska Farmhands?

Nope. The NCAA game lines are dead, at the cost of players getting about $150. A better solution would have been to give every player on any roster in the game, a free copy/voucher of the game each year. I'm thinking most players would have been for that option. Buy the lawyers wouldn't get a cut of that action.

• 4 weeks later...

BTW, anyone notice how the price of the game went from $34.99 back up to $59.99 as soon as the announcement happened?

Wonder if we'll see some price gouging on this if there is indeed not a college football title next year...

Without knowing if the wholesale cost changed, there's no way to say why the price went up, could just be stores being greedy, or could be the demand jumped and EA is not planning on printing any more copies. Game prices are usually tied directly to sales, thats why the price usually drops after a couple months as the sales dip. A game that continues high sales volume after the first couple months will not have the price drop. Skyrim comes to mind, ran $59.99 on Steam for well over a year after release, and remained in the top 10 best sellers the whole time.