Gerry to safety?

lo country

And by "it" you mean what exactly?

That we play less athletic players because they understand the system.

Well Bo Pelini, you know, the head coach here at Nebraska, said Jackson wasn't seeing time because he wasn't playing within the scheme. So? I guess that would be why you hear others saying as much

This is such a silly argument. Who cares which guy is "more athletic"? The guy who gives us the better chance to win is the guy I want on the field. Whether it's because of athleticism, knowledge, leadership, etc., I don't care.

If CJax is the better player, then let's get him on the field. If it's somebody else, then let's see them. The problem as fans is that we only see these guys for a few plays each week while the coaches have seen them for hundreds of plays. We base who we think should be starting on not much. How many plays have we actually seen CJax at safety? A dozen? Two dozen?

I think the coaches moving Gerry to LB was actually a smart move and for once, a move with the future in mind. I don't like when a player is asked to switch positions too much. With Gerry's size as just a true freshmen, you can imagine the kid will probably only get bigger. He may outgrow the safety position in a year or two. I think the coaches are setting him up for success by getting him experience at the LB position that he will probably end up growing into by his junior or senior year anyway.

Plus, CJ should be on that field. No doubt in my mind he should have played already. Once again we have a great football player with limited playing time due to not "getting it" or not playing "within the scheme".

This is such a silly argument. Who cares which guy is "more athletic"? The guy who gives us the better chance to win is the guy I want on the field. Whether it's because of athleticism, knowledge, leadership, etc., I don't care.

If CJax is the better player, then let's get him on the field. If it's somebody else, then let's see them. The problem as fans is that we only see these guys for a few plays each week while the coaches have seen them for hundreds of plays. We base who we think should be starting on not much. How many plays have we actually seen CJax at safety? A dozen? Two dozen?

Calling my discussion with him silly, just to go back and make my original point? Hmm......that's logical.

Plus, CJ should be on that field. No doubt in my mind he should have played already. Once again we have a great football player with limited playing time due to not "getting it" or not playing "within the scheme".

Funny how this keeps coming up, especially at safety. First it was PJ Smith, then Harvey Jackson. Now CJax. It seems to be false usually and I'm not sure if it's ever been true but people like to throw it out there a lot.

How does this get a plus one? The coach of the team himself said CJ is not on the field because he's not yet consistently playing "within the scheme". You know better than the coach? I'll even find the quote for you if you want.

o one

Funny how this keeps coming up, especially at safety. First it was PJ Smith, then Harvey Jackson. Now CJax. It seems to be false usually and I'm not sure if it's ever been true but people like to throw it out there a lot.

How does this get a plus one? The coach of the team himself said CJ is not on the field because he's not yet consistently playing "within the scheme". You know better than the coach? I'll even find the quote for you if you want.

hell, it sounds like no one is playing within the scheme....what difference does it make who plays? I think Bo has these kids as f'd up as Hogan's goat!

I think the coaches moving Gerry to LB was actually a smart move and for once, a move with the future in mind. I don't like when a player is asked to switch positions too much. With Gerry's size as just a true freshmen, you can imagine the kid will probably only get bigger. He may outgrow the safety position in a year or two. I think the coaches are setting him up for success by getting him experience at the LB position that he will probably end up growing into by his junior or senior year anyway.

Calling my discussion with him silly, just to go back and make my original point? Hmm......that's logical.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. If your point is that which guy starts shouldn't be based primarily on athleticism, then we agree.

The part you highlighted is exactly what I'm criticizing in my second paragraph. "No doubt in my mind" you say - but you've only seen the guy for a few plays.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. If your point is that which guy starts shouldn't be based primarily on athleticism, then we agree.

The part you highlighted is exactly what I'm criticizing in my second paragraph. "No doubt in my mind" you say - but you've only seen the guy for a few plays.

Which is all that needs to be seen to know that Charles Jackson tackles better, in game situations, than 98% of the team.

I seem to remember another kid who didn't "know the system", but was a flat out baller. Lavonte David. He turned out pretty good. Also saw Darrelle Revis comment's that if David wasn't a Pro Bowl selection this year, the system is fixed.

I always got a laugh when Bo mentioned how terrible Lavonte played. How he was out of position constantly, how he was swimming in it, or lost out there. As Lavonte led the team in tackles, had an interception and a forced fumble in the previous game. Good ole Bo. Full of sh#t as they come.

o one

hell, it sounds like no one is playing within the scheme....what difference does it make who plays? I think Bo has these kids as f'd up as Hogan's goat!

Not so sure I get the goat saying but I'm finding the coaches blaming the problem on the players getting a bit tiresome, I know that recruiting has not always been great but I still tend to think that overall we have a defense that has at least top 30 talent, kids come from all over to play at UNL yet here we are serving up one of the worst defenses in the country. It is a huge head scratcher for me how Bo has let his team get to this point on defense. I guess like everyone I hope to see things improve and I would like to think that we will things get a bit better.

I seem to remember another kid who didn't "know the system", but was a flat out baller. Lavonte David. He turned out pretty good. Also saw Darrelle Revis comment's that if David wasn't a Pro Bowl selection this year, the system is fixed.

Actually, the coaches were pleasantly surprised at L David's knowledge of the system when he first came to Nebraska.

Actually, the coaches were pleasantly surprised at L David's knowledge of the system when he first came to Nebraska.

They repeatedly said his natural talent and skillset enabled him to cover up his mental/alignment mistakes. This occurred after his first five game or so

FACT - Sean Fisher would've started the 2010 season over Lavonte David had he not broken his leg a few weeks before the season started. That's a scary fact. Playing within the system hasn't worked out so well the last few games, lets just get our best players on the field & let them play football. I don't get paid $3 mil a year but I don't see how the end result of that could be much worse than what happened against Wisconsin or UCLA

They repeatedly said his natural talent and skillset enabled him to cover up his mental/alignment mistakes. This occurred after his first five game or so

They have just as repeatedly WRITTEN about the x's and o's session he had with Eckler when being recruited and how Eckler went to Pelini and said L David understood it.