Illinois

So far the NU pass defense (secondary) has been a huge disappointment. It was supposed to be the strength of the team. The man-to-man coverage isn't working and the NU D-line hasn't put consistant pressure on the QB.

Illinois stats indicate they do NOT have a viable rushing attack, but they are very good at passing. It seems to me that the key to this game is our pass defense. Will it come alive & live up to the pre-season hype? I sure hope so.

GBR

It's hard to make a fair assessment of the NU secondary when there's not much pressure on the quarterback and he has 5+ seconds to find a receiver. They're certainly not as good as previous years but we also don't have a NFL quality corner on the field like we did with Amukamara or Dennard.

So far the NU pass defense (secondary) has been a huge disappointment. It was supposed to be the strength of the team. The man-to-man coverage isn't working and the NU D-line hasn't put consistant pressure on the QB.

Illinois stats indicate they do NOT have a viable rushing attack, but they are very good at passing. It seems to me that the key to this game is our pass defense. Will it come alive & live up to the pre-season hype? I sure hope so.

GBR

It's hard to make a fair assessment of the NU secondary when there's not much pressure on the quarterback and he has 5+ seconds to find a receiver. They're certainly not as good as previous years but we also don't have a NFL quality corner on the field like we did with Amukamara or Dennard.

I also think "huge disappointment" is an overstatement. Our safety play hasn't been great but no worse than last year. Our corner/nickel/dime players overall have been very good - pretty good tackling, several picks. Not great but I'd say pretty decent.

I also think "huge disappointment" is an overstatement. Our safety play hasn't been great but no worse than last year. Our corner/nickel/dime players overall have been very good - pretty good tackling, several picks. Not great but I'd say pretty decent.

I think the picks are overshadowing their bad play. Even SJB has been burned a couple of times. I know it's not all about stats, and pressure on the QB has been really bad...but...

Pass D: #108 w/ 284YPG

Opponent Comp %: #87 w/ 63%

Passes over 10: #115 w/ 52

Passes over 20: #98 w/ 18

Passes over 30: #70 w/ 7

We had a bad line last year....but our numbers were NOTHING like that in pass D. Especially not after the first 4 games.

2012:

Pass D: #4 w/ 168YPG

Opponent Comp %: #1 w/ 47%

Passes over 10: #5 w/ 83

Passes over 20: #54 w/ 37

Passes over 30: #50 w/ 6

GBR

I'd say the jury is still out on having a NFL quality corner on the field. SJB sure looks like he has the potential and maybe even Ciante(not sure about him). I know you said players on the field but here's to hoping some of the players like Jonathan Rose who haven't seen the field can still become something special.

Side note: I don't think SJB or Ciante are the caliber of players like Amukamara or Dennard but I still think there may be some potential there.

I have family that lives in Greeley, Co., so I wanted to beat the fuffaloes just so I didn't have to listen to them.

You want I should run across town and put a beat down on them for you? :ph34r:

Actually, I'm surprised to hear they are Buffs fans in Greeley. I am only aware of about 5 but I know tons of Husker fans live here.

Ya know, I always looked forward to the CU game too but it was not because I ever viewed it as a rivalry. They were just plain fun to whoop up on because their fans are such asshats. Wanna talk about irrelevant......they have not had one televised game yet that I have been able to find. The CU-CSU game is usually televised but I think they must've blacked it out this year because they couldn't sell enough tickets in Mile High.