Bye Weekend Thoughts

Really? LSU and UGA both let up 500 yards of offense today

Bama has a sweet D, no doubt. With that being said Ole Miss is terrible and never scores in Tuscaloosa

Uhh... both teams lost a lot on D. I think 15 players were drafted between both teams this year. They did alright going up against two QBs and WRs that will be playing in the NFL and Gurley (kid is a beast).

So, if you are starting a bunch of new guys, then it is okay to have a defense that lets up 500 yards to a QB that is going to play in the NFL?

• Fire 1

Bama has a sweet D, no doubt. With that being said Ole Miss is terrible and never scores in Tuscaloosa

LOL...yeah...after I watched the whole game and saw the point total, I thought I should back that truck up a little bit. Have to agree with what others have added. Maybe not better players all the way around..but a different level of swagger, confidence and "get after it" attitudes. Was a fun game to watch since I didn't care either way who won.

Uhh... both teams lost a lot on D. I think 15 players were drafted between both teams this year. They did alright going up against two QBs and WRs that will be playing in the NFL and Gurley (kid is a beast).

So, if you are starting a bunch of new guys, then it is okay to have a defense that lets up 500 yards to a QB that is going to play in the NFL?

No, I'm saying you shouldn't have the highest expectations because you just lost a lot of production.

No, I'm saying you shouldn't have the highest expectations because you just lost a lot of production.

100% agree

Fundamentals make any team better. The simple things like tackling, not over running plays, no stupid penalties. Things we have seemingly forgotten to do in years.

Offensively, I saw our true potential last week. Not saying TA, but the play calling. Calls to our strengths. Getting it to the playmakers, many guys involved. CALLING PLAYS to give our D a rest and allow them to be coached in between series. Not this multiple BS.

Been watching today and I see the top teams playing solid for 4 quarters on both sides of the ball. Guys playing with passion and emotion. Guys playing sound, fundamental football. Coaches making adjustments and teams with an identity on both sides of the ball.

I miss NU football. I have no idea what our identity is on either side and I have forgotten when the last time we played fundamental football.

Watching the Georgia / LSU game. Those players are seemingly much better than our players. The Georgia D-Line is pretty impressive, saw a couple of plays where the d-line just blew up the entire line of scrimmage like we used to "back in the day". Feels like we've got a ways to go to get back to the elite level.

Thinking of the Big 10. Beginning to believe we have to cheer for every Big 10 team that is playing anyone from another league. As much as it sucks for now, we have to hope that Ohio St, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin, etc, have great years. Kind of the old adage about "all boats rise on a rising tide". The more respected teams we have in conference, the more we become like the SEC in the eyes of the writers, etc.

I am not sure if I am the only one who thinks this, but neither defense impressed me. This is probably the worst defense LSU has had in quite a long time. UGA's defense is just as it always has been. Both teams have had explosive defensive plays tonight, but LSU's youth showed tonight. LSU fans aren't happy with the yards given up, and Corey Raymond might be looking at his last season at LSU. He is definitely in the hot seat, but fans are screaming for Chavis head as well. I wouldn't say their defenses are better than ours talent wise, but they are better on the coaching (DC) end. What I would do to get John Chavis here. All I know, is LSU's defense needs to get their act together before they play Alabama, because they are the only team on their schedule to derail them. Bama was suppose to get UGA this year, but cried and the AD put a request to play Kentucky and got their way, leaving LSU to play UGA, while playing A&M, Florida and Alabama.

As for this second statement, aren't you normally suppose to always root for your conference teams against non conference games? This I thought was a general rule lol. I have always rooted or teams that are on our schedule, and during conference play, I pull for the teams that are on our schedule.

Fundamentals make any team better. The simple things like tackling, not over running plays, no stupid penalties. Things we have seemingly forgotten to do in years.

Offensively, I saw our true potential last week. Not saying TA, but the play calling. Calls to our strengths. Getting it to the playmakers, many guys involved. CALLING PLAYS to give our D a rest and allow them to be coached in between series. Not this multiple BS.

Been watching today and I see the top teams playing solid for 4 quarters on both sides of the ball. Guys playing with passion and emotion. Guys playing sound, fundamental football. Coaches making adjustments and teams with an identity on both sides of the ball.

I miss NU football. I have no idea what our identity is on either side and I have forgotten when the last time we played fundamental football.

I've seen the same thing I bolded. Also, have seen defenses that attack, attack, attack.

Watching the Georgia / LSU game. Those players are seemingly much better than our players. The Georgia D-Line is pretty impressive, saw a couple of plays where the d-line just blew up the entire line of scrimmage like we used to "back in the day". Feels like we've got a ways to go to get back to the elite level.

Thinking of the Big 10. Beginning to believe we have to cheer for every Big 10 team that is playing anyone from another league. As much as it sucks for now, we have to hope that Ohio St, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin, etc, have great years. Kind of the old adage about "all boats rise on a rising tide". The more respected teams we have in conference, the more we become like the SEC in the eyes of the writers, etc.

I am not sure if I am the only one who thinks this, but neither defense impressed me. This is probably the worst defense LSU has had in quite a long time. UGA's defense is just as it always has been. Both teams have had explosive defensive plays tonight, but LSU's youth showed tonight. LSU fans aren't happy with the yards given up, and Corey Raymond might be looking at his last season at LSU. He is definitely in the hot seat, but fans are screaming for Chavis head as well. I wouldn't say their defenses are better than ours talent wise, but they are better on the coaching (DC) end. What I would do to get John Chavis here. All I know, is LSU's defense needs to get their act together before they play Alabama, because they are the only team on their schedule to derail them. Bama was suppose to get UGA this year, but cried and the AD put a request to play Kentucky and got their way, leaving LSU to play UGA, while playing A&M, Florida and Alabama.

As for this second statement, aren't you normally suppose to always root for your conference teams against non conference games? This I thought was a general rule lol. I have always rooted or teams that are on our schedule, and during conference play, I pull for the teams that are on our schedule.

Mostly cheer for in conference teams..but I don't believe I have ever, ever cheered for Colorado, Mizzou or Texas... :-)

Watching Wisconsin and Ohio state. Both teams are far better than us. It's not talent, but it is coaching.

For example , penalties and fumbles are an issue for us. Something the staff has been working hard on during the off season. This problem never seems to go away. Lets be honest, we have systemic problems ranging from conditioning to teaching fundamentals. Don't get me wrong. We have some good coaches. It's the leadership that is the main problem.

There are other teams that have the same problems. Looks at Texas and USC. Talent is there, but coaching sucks. Same thing here. If we can ever get a good head coach again things will turn around. Honestly, I've been pretty depressed since UCLA. I'm resigned that we need a major change.

Couldn't agree more. We have a more talented D than Wisconsin and we could only dream of stopping the run, qb draw, and everything else that Wiscy is doing a decent job of shutting down. OSU is getting long plays, not really do the best job of conistently moving the ball on them.

We are way more talented than Wiscy and have the athletes to shut OSU down on offense (I have to imagine SBJ or EVans could play better than true freshman), but we don't for whatever reason.

I agree with you both. Ohio State would beat us by 50...Wisconsin would beat us by 20-30. We're probably the 4th or 5th best team in a weak/mediocre conference. We are the Iowa team that we used to mock. And the main factor is coaching. Those programs are well run. Ours is not.