An interesting tidbit from the postgame

NUpolo8

So let me get this straight....Martinez is the one who announces that he was playing on broken toes, and it hurt every time he planted, essentially throwing the coaching staff under the bus.

The coaching staff suggests that Martinez needs to be more honest(?) about his injuries, although they are in a position to watch him practice all week and are the ONLY people qualified to say he is ready to play.

The Martinez issue distracts people from that now bizarrely familiar sight of a Nebraska defense that absolutely no one fears.

Coaches fighting coaches. Players questioning coaches. Coaches questioning players. Players lashing out at fans.

Things have gotten so bad that I half expect this team to do something crazy, like beat Northwestern and MSU.

But

But

The defense has been in absolute shutdown mode for 10 straight quarters prior today with Martinez in street clothes. Yes. I'm not letting this go. There's issues here. Big time.

Regardless, Taylor is not 100% and cant really run right now. Without that threat, he's not even #3 on the depth chart. Time to move on.

Hey may not be 100% right now, but he can run. He showed that in the 3rd quarter. But that was the first designed QB keep of the game, and they never ran any read option. If they're not going to run him, then put the backups in. But I do think he's capable of running the ball right now, and they just didn't do it.

But that's the whole damn point isnt it? He also showed twice (the only two opportunities) that he can throw downfield too. But we never attempt that either. if it's an issue of having confidence enough in him to put him in those situations, then we need a qb we do have the confidence in as a playcaller. If you dont have faith enough in Taylor's health to call the qb runs, and you dont have the faith enough in his passing ability to stretch the field, and get the back 7 defenders out of the box, then explain to me why the hell he's even in the game.

I basically agree, I just don't know what Beck's motives are. You're implying that the reason he doesn't ask Taylor to throw downfield or to run the ball is because he doesn't have faith in Taylor's abilities or his health. I don't know if that's the case. We've seen Beck call so many bad games, and to see him call another one like today, where Abdullah is averaging over 8 ypc and he doesn't just ride that horse to victory? That's incompetence.

What is the identity on offense? There is none. They don't play fast, they're not run-first, they're not pass-first, they're not an option team. They are nothing.

I think there is no identity.

So let me get this straight....Martinez is the one who announces that he was playing on broken toes, and it hurt every time he planted, essentially throwing the coaching staff under the bus.

The coaching staff suggests that Martinez needs to be more honest(?) about his injuries, although they are in a position to watch him practice all week and are the ONLY people qualified to say he is ready to play.

The Martinez issue distracts people from that now bizarrely familiar sight of a Nebraska defense that absolutely no one fears.

Coaches fighting coaches. Players questioning coaches. Coaches questioning players. Players lashing out at fans.

Things have gotten so bad that I half expect this team to do something crazy, like beat Northwestern and MSU.

But

But

The defense has been in absolute shutdown mode for 10 straight quarters prior today with Martinez in street clothes. Yes. I'm not letting this go. There's issues here. Big time.

First, I'd say shutdown mode is a bit of an overstatement considering the opponents.

Second, if that's true, the whole defense should be released from their scholarships. It shouldn't make a damn bit of difference who's QB.

• Fire 1

Stranger than fiction.

Look, with all compassion for Martinez, the crap life has thrown at him, the injuries he's suffered since he's been here--he's a good person, a decent human being, etc, etc, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

But . . .

What in the hell is he doing on that field? No, Taylor is not the root of all evil or the source of all our woes. But Taylor's role as QB is ENTIRELY predicted on his ability to run the football and run it well. Without that, he's completely useless at the position. And frankly, having watched him in various states of health for four years now, I think I'm not out of line in saying he just . . . doesn't . . . have it. He never did. Broken record, but: low IQ QB, not a true runner, highly risky player with a piss poor defense backing him up.

If TA is the future, it's his time. Yeah, he's going to make mistakes, but this is a clown show right now.

• Fire 1

I can't believe nobody has discussed the fact that T-Mart went against the company line. Regardless of the actual injury, there is always some doubt in what the injury really is, there was a company line that everyone was following until today. Even then it only came out because T-Mart stunk up the joint. Sorry boys, we will not win another game as long as he starts. The guys do not want to play with him, it is very obvious to me.

I can't believe nobody has discussed the fact that T-Mart went against the company line. Regardless of the actual injury, there is always some doubt in what the injury really is, there was a company line that everyone was following until today. Even then it only came out because T-Mart stunk up the joint. Sorry boys, we will not win another game as long as he starts. The guys do not want to play with him, it is very obvious to me.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be as a lineman playing for TMart. How many times is he chattering away while the clock is winding down to two seconds? It's just a confusing mess out there with him at the helm, and he's got three years in Beck's 'system' (if you can call it that).

My brain hurts there are so many problems to talk about with this team, but anyway, I think my head will explode if Tmart ever trots out on that field in red again.

The guys do not want to play with him, it is very obvious to me.

If true, that's a damning statment. About "The guys" more than Martinez.

If I were head coach, and a player wasn't playing their hardest because they didn't like who I set as starting QB... well, they'd be off my team faster than an Oregon touchdown drive.