An interesting tidbit from the postgame

NUpolo8

Where do people get this idea that someone needs to be as good as Frazier to replace Martinez? Do people seriously think Martinez is remotely that good? If so, do they even watch the games?

Did someone say that?

More or less.

If you are referring to my post, that's not even remotely what I said. If you are referring to some other post, carry on.

Where do people get this idea that someone needs to be as good as Frazier to replace Martinez? Do people seriously think Martinez is remotely that good? If so, do they even watch the games?

Did someone say that?

More or less.

If you are referring to my post, that's not even remotely what I said. If you are referring to some other post, carry on.

If it wasn't remotely what you said, or implied, then there would be no reason for you to get defensive.

Yet here we are.

So let me get this straight....Martinez is the one who announces that he was playing on broken toes, and it hurt every time he planted, essentially throwing the coaching staff under the bus.

The coaching staff suggests that Martinez needs to be more honest(?) about his injuries, although they are in a position to watch him practice all week and are the ONLY people qualified to say he is ready to play.

The Martinez issue distracts people from that now bizarrely familiar sight of a Nebraska defense that absolutely no one fears.

Coaches fighting coaches. Players questioning coaches. Coaches questioning players. Players lashing out at fans.

Things have gotten so bad that I half expect this team to do something crazy, like beat Northwestern and MSU.

But

But

The defense has been in absolute shutdown mode for 10 straight quarters prior today with Martinez in street clothes. Yes. I'm not letting this go. There's issues here. Big time.

First, I'd say shutdown mode is a bit of an overstatement considering the opponents.

Second, if that's true, the whole defense should be released from their scholarships. It shouldn't make a damn bit of difference who's QB.

You can pull the competition card all you want but was the defense better and making progress in that stretch than they were today?

You dont have to answer that. I already know the answer.

We completely derailed all progress and improvement today by strolling out a qb who isnt ready to be back yet for whatever the hell reason, and it obviously has cuased major issues with the ENTIRE team's chemistry, confidence, and according to Enunwas statement....

@swmckewonOWH

Quincy Enunwa said Nebraska's offense had a bad week of practice and Beck pulled him aside this week to address it.

.....preparation.

Man people must have been substantially more impressed than I with Armstrong's 6 of 18 for 43 yards and 3 interceptions against Purdue.

This isn't mean to knock Armstrong, he's a young kid that will get better. But let's not pretend like he's Tommie Frazier or even Joe Ganz at this point.

Whether Armstrong or Kellogg, what has been most beneficial is keeping the chains moving. Something that for whatever reason is simply not happening with Martinez.

Well, then you might be better served asking why we threw 30 passes when we had a RB averaging 8.7 yards per carry. That's probably a more pertinent point to raise rather than who started at QB.

Beck and his head scratching play calls. Do you think if Ameer had 11 more carries we would have won the game with our defense today?

Impossible to know, but it's a question worth pondering. We're complaining about Martinez's passing... imagine if he only threw 15 or 20 passes and Abdullah had 230 yards. I would probably put money on us winning that game.

Too bad we will never know. The offense shot themselves in the foot but then again it's the defense' job to hold opponents to less points than what we score on offense.

Bo does seem to have an interesting connection to TM and it's getting strange to the point that he loves him so much he wants to see him play his last down so they can take a train out of Lincoln together? I honestly want the best for the program, BO, and Tmart but it does seem to me that something really odd has to be going on for us to watch what we did today, find out what we did today, and then not be able to follow the plan the last few weeks that got us wins, tough day for Husker Nation but we still control our own destiny and this team has played well we just need to have some fun

I agree with you. I honestly think Bo takes the loyalty thing to a fault. Bo knows that Taylor holds a lot of records at Nebraska now, and it was Bo's decision to start him as a freshman. Now that Taylor is a senior, hurt, and having his worst year ever (per game averages), Bo should be putting in Armstrong, but is too damn loyal to TM. I hope he realizes his loyalty is going to cost him his coaching position at Nebraska.

You can pull the competition card all you want but was the defense better and making progress in that stretch than they were today?

We completely derailed all progress and improvement today by strolling out a qb who isnt ready to be back yet for whatever the hell reason, and it obviously has cuased major issues with the ENTIRE team's chemistry, confidence, and according to Enunwas statement....

@swmckewonOWH

Quincy Enunwa said Nebraska's offense had a bad week of practice and Beck pulled him aside this week to address it.

.....preparation.

OK... so... Martinez derailed the defense because.... how?? Did he burn their playbooks?? Was it that dastardly 10-0 lead he and the offense gave them?? Did he hypnotize them to forget how to tackle??

As far as the lack of preparation, you are assuming that is Martinez's fault... "I wasn't focused this game." -- Quincy Enunwa. Damn that Taylor Martinez for Enunwa's lack of focus!

• Fire 1

Man people must have been substantially more impressed than I with Armstrong's 6 of 18 for 43 yards and 3 interceptions against Purdue.

This isn't mean to knock Armstrong, he's a young kid that will get better. But let's not pretend like he's Tommie Frazier or even Joe Ganz at this point.

Whether Armstrong or Kellogg, what has been most beneficial is keeping the chains moving. Something that for whatever reason is simply not happening with Martinez.

Well, then you might be better served asking why we threw 30 passes when we had a RB averaging 8.7 yards per carry. That's probably a more pertinent point to raise rather than who started at QB.

Beck and his head scratching play calls. Do you think if Ameer had 11 more carries we would have won the game with our defense today?

AA did have a costly fumble but he's a top back and needs to be fed. He was running well, we should've rode him.

@swmckewonOWH

.....preparation.

OK... so... Martinez derailed the defense because.... how?? Did he burn their playbooks?? Was it that dastardly 10-0 lead he and the offense gave them?? Did he hypnotize them to forget how to tackle??

As far as the lack of preparation, you are assuming that is Martinez's fault... "I wasn't focused this game." -- Quincy Enunwa. Damn that Taylor Martinez for Enunwa's lack of focus!

Well three and outs time and time again, and not responding and not finishing drives for points when the defense WAS making stops and/or limiting Minnesota to field goals would be a good place to start.

Did you even watch the game? Cuz I'm re-watchin it as we speak, and I'm right.

Kinda falls in line with the UCLA game of 2012. Sure, we can blame the defense all we want, but the offense did them no favors. Even at 10-7, we had plenty of opportunities to put the game away early. With a different qb, it probably wouldve happened.

AA did have a costly fumble but he's a top back and needs to be fed. He was running well, we should've rode him.

This is true but how many times have we seen Beck keep feeding the ball to the rb when we are down and need two td's? He goes into air it out mode every time. It's like

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

@swmckewonOWH

.....preparation.

Well three and outs time and time again, and not responding and not finishing drives for points when the defense WAS making stops and/or limiting Minnesota to field goals would be a good place to start.

Did you even watch the game? Cuz I'm re-watchin it as we speak, and I'm right.

Kinda falls in line with the UCLA game of 2012. Sure, we can blame the defense all we want, but the offense did them no favors. Even at 10-7, we had plenty of opportunities to put the game away early. With a different qb, it probably wouldve happened.

So because Taylor was playing, the defense wasn't able to stop the run. And against Illinois they were able to stop the run because of Armstrong. That makes...... sense? (Ignoring, of course, that Illinois did run for almost 200 yards - but I'm sure those were mostly Taylor's fault somehow)

You said inserting Martinez derailed all of the progress on defense. I'm curious, tactically, what Martinez did to change the defense's scheme, pursuit angles, tackling, etc. Don't give me the "well if they would have had more first downs" line. Because up 10-0, the defense allowed the 111th ranked Minnesota offense to run the ball right down their throat to get the score to 10-7. I'm curious what defense in "shutdown mode" (your words not mine) would allow that to happen. Tell me why that's on Taylor. (Nevermind the fact that this is the same defense that allowed a DIAA running back to go for 200 yards. It couldn't possibly be their own fault.)

EDIT: Not to mention that this was all done with an offensive scheme that was largely predicated on Wisconsin's scheme to dismantle Nebraska in the CCG last year. And STILL no defensive adjustments. Damn you, Taylor!!

The offensive line didn't do a good job of pass pro, Abdullah fumbled on a long run that could have led to a critical score, receivers dropped passes... And this is ALL Taylor's fault.

I get it. I understand that it's easier to blame the QB for everything. It's easier to pretend that when he graduates or gets demoted, everything will be better. But I have news for you... Martinez did not play well, but he isn't the biggest problem.

This isn't exactly about the quarterback...but leadership. This team looked like they had some rhythm on offense and some fire. Today they looked dead again. It wouldn't be the first time players have rallied around a guy but not another. I'm not saying any of this is Taylor's fault but let's face it...the coaches and players are human. If Beck really prefers a different qb than the one the HC says has to be on the field (if) then it's possible his feelings trickle down to the players. It's a lot of speculation but at this point we know something is wrong. It's an interesting theory...

• Fire 1

I understand that it's easier to blame the QB for everything. It's easier to pretend that when he graduates or gets demoted, everything will be better. But I have news for you... Martinez did not play well, but he isn't the biggest problem.

I agree with what I think is Accountability's point.......Armstrong and/or Kellogg are keeping the chains moving. That's not happening as we need it with Martinez in there. Why is that? I don't really know. I know when we've needed to put some points on the board, it hasn't happened with a Martinez led offense.

I understand that it's easier to blame the QB for everything. It's easier to pretend that when he graduates or gets demoted, everything will be better. But I have news for you... Martinez did not play well, but he isn't the biggest problem.

I agree with what I think is Accountability's point.......Armstrong and/or Kellogg are keeping the chains moving. That's not happening as we need it with Martinez in there. Why is that? I don't really know. I know when we've needed to put some points on the board, it hasn't happened with a Martinez led offense.

We had a RB averaging 8.7 yards per carry. Yet called 30 passes (not including sacks and scrambles) and 24 runs. Is that Martinez's fault?