The challenge ahead: Who we've beaten vs. who's left

JTrain

I looked at the opponents that we were able to beat in my two favorite computer ratings: Massey (the original, not the neutered version used in the BCS) and Rothman's FACT. Keep in mind, these systems rank all teams that can be connected by results, including FCS schools and below, so the really bad teams will have rankings below 124. Here are the teams we've beaten to this point:

Team: Massey, Rothman

Wyoming: 137, 128

Southern Miss: 258, 240

South Dakota St.: 127, 117

Illinois: 87, 78

Purdue: 154, 157

AVERAGE: 153, 144

Now, the road ahead:

Team: Massey, Rothman

Northwestern: 64, 56

Michigan: 41, 25

Michigan St.: 25, 22

Penn St.: 55, 47

Iowa: 43, 42

AVERAGE: 46, 38

In other words, it's a tough road to hoe. The good news is, while there are no bad teams left, there are seemingly no great (top ten) teams either.

Regadless. OUCH! If we can run the table, I will be impressed. Very, very impressed. The only advantage we have is this staff is now, IMHO, coaching for their jobs. Makes tough decisions a little easier ie pull this guy, start this guy etc......

Also of interest, it would appear that TA and RKIII beat similar teams to those that Martinez beat. In fact, Martinez average was 184 compared to the 117 of the other two..........Using the highest rankings of the above teams.

For some reason this is what I expected last year. I really think we may be hard pressed to win a single game left on our schedule if last week was a true indicator of who this team is.

Just a question for the recruiting savy. You always hear that a kid has a great motor, work ethic, blah blah. Does that come into our recruiting. I wonder if it is at Bama or Oregon to. Gym rats, used to be the name I think. It just seems our kids lack that killer instinct, drive to go and finish, and I wonder, is this part of their history. Maybe the difference between being ranked a top four star and a low three star.

I just remember that being said about a lot our kids in the 90's, hear it occasionally now, but it seems not as often.