Northwestern Rivalry?

So far the series against NW has all the makings for a naturally occuring rivalry. Respect, close games, crazy finishes, and the ever present battle for the real NU. I'll take this over some artificial creation any day.

And for those of you who think piss bombs or hatred are required or even desirable elements for a good rivalry, that is just plain sad.

I think some hatred adds to the fun, did you watch Miami vs FSU, and the Michigan battle yesterday. Those teams hate each other and you can see it. Now piss bombs and tire slashing is unnecessary but some hatred would be nice.

As much as thsy all hate eachother, holy tension in Florida v Georgia. Riots and punches flying. True hate.

I think some hatred adds to the fun, did you watch Miami vs FSU, and the Michigan battle yesterday. Those teams hate each other and you can see it. Now piss bombs and tire slashing is unnecessary but some hatred would be nice.

As much as thsy all hate eachother, holy tension in Florida v Georgia. Riots and punches flying. True hate.

All started by douchebag Urban when he sent the entire team out on the field when they scored a TD.

All started by douchebag Urban when he sent the entire team out on the field when they scored a TD.

Add that to the list of what irks me about that man.

I brough this up a few weeks ago and got scolded that the purples only see Illinois as a rivalry.

Screw that! Were gonna force it on em whether they like it or not.

I remember when the colorado fluffaloes tried to force it on us.

It didn't work.

IIRC it was actually GA that did that and I believe it was Richt as the coach.

I just checked and yes it was GA that did the Gator Stomp. 2007 game.

IIRC it was actually GA that did that and I believe it was Richt as the coach.

I just checked and yes it was GA that did the Gator Stomp. 2007 game.

You are correct. It was Georgia that sent the entire team on the field. My bad

I love this series. Move it to Thanksgiving Friday. Who cares about Iowa?

No joke, I *hate* forced, contrived rivalries more than just about anything in sports. It's like they were decided by reality TV directors/editors who decided that there NEEDS to be drama. Just let them form organically, quit forcing us into it and telling us who we were supposed to be rivals with. Right now, NW really does feel like the closest thing we have to a rivalry in our division right now (for all of the things listed by the OP). It will definitely be one of the top games to look forward to for the sheer fun and excitement of it for several seasons to come. Yeah, we might have more important games in our division, but that doesn't mean they'll have the same "intangibles" as the NU-NW games have had so far. Let's make our own trophy for the game like the Innocence Society did for the Missouri games! Screw those pre-fab trophies. We'll make a fanbase-to-fanbase, grassroots, organic rivalry. Start designing a trophy!